WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Twelve Ways To Make Rugby League Great Again

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Twelve Ways To Make Rugby League Great Again

Posted by ThePrinter on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:22 am
ThePrinter Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Location: Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
puroresu_boy wrote:
From that article:

Since 1998 only four teams – Wigan, St Helens, Bradford and Leeds – have won the Super League.

A truly damning statistic.

That’s not really a problem even though people often use it. How many teams have won the Premiership in the last 20 years or La Liga in Spain. We could’ve had 7/8 winners in the past 20 years and it wouldn’t really change anything from where we’re at now. Whilst not the top prize we’ve still had 4 others winners of silverware in the last 5 years and up at the top end of the table in Wire, Cas, Hull and Hudds which is more than can be said for those aforementioned leagues.

Funny thing is that we might have a new winner of silverware in 2 weeks in Catalans yet a lot of the fan base will be more interesting in slagging off the attendance figure at Wembley. That leads us to one of the unspoken issues with RL.....the fans. Never the ones criticised because we think we have the best fans in the world for some reason but reality is we don’t, far from it. The fan base is as much a problem as anything yet it never makes these types of list because it’s easier to pint the finger elsewhere.
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014
Posted by puroresu_boy on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:27 am
puroresu_boy Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

ThePrinter wrote:
That’s not really a problem even though people often use it. How many teams have won the Premiership in the last 20 years or La Liga in Spain. We could’ve had 7/8 winners in the past 20 years and it wouldn’t really change anything from where we’re at now. Whilst not the top prize we’ve still had 4 others winners of silverware in the last 5 years and up at the top end of the table in Wire, Cas, Hull and Hudds which is more than can be said for those aforementioned leagues.

Funny thing is that we might have a new winner of silverware in 2 weeks in Catalans yet a lot of the fan base will be more interesting in slagging off the attendance figure at Wembley. That leads us to one of the unspoken issues with RL.....the fans. Never the ones criticised because we think we have the best fans in the world for some reason but reality is we don’t, far from it. The fan base is as much a problem as anything yet it never makes these types of list because it’s easier to pint the finger elsewhere.

It is a problem in a salary capped sport. The NRL is salary capped and they have had more than 4 sides winning the premiership in the same time period.

If we actually had a salary cap system that worked we possibly have a real competition where from 1 - 8 there was a genuine exciting play off system where anyone could win like you see in the NRL.

What we have is salary cap which isnt maxed out by all sides and then the same sides year on year reaching or winning the Grand Final.

A salary cap should mean that its genuinely possible for the majority of sides to believe they can win it. We are well away from that.
Posted by EastHullUTR on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:29 pm
EastHullUTR User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

So because Coventry, London, and Newcastle are expansion sides they deserve to be in super league over Cas?!! Wakey, Leigh, Hull KR Widnes, Huddesfield and Salford. Well those expansion sides aren't capable of super league purely cause of their fan base. I'd suggest whoever wrote that article did their research and come back. Cas tier two? Wrong
"Never forget the people who love you... The Supporters" Roger Millward MBE 1947-2016
Posted by Grimmy on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:31 pm
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 19
Rep Position: 16th / 77,037

Quiz Score: 248

Karen wrote:
That weekend is the football play off weekend so Wembley isn't available.

Ahh bugger, ta
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Posted by RLRealist on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:48 pm
RLRealist User avatar
Strong-running second rower

EastHullUTR wrote:
So because Coventry, London, and Newcastle are expansion sides they deserve to be in super league over Cas?!! Wakey, Leigh, Hull KR Widnes, Huddesfield and Salford. Well those expansion sides aren't capable of super league purely cause of their fan base. I'd suggest whoever wrote that article did their research and come back. Cas tier two? Wrong

Let's not go there...
Posted by Call Me God on Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:28 am
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 53
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,037

Quiz Score: 0

:CRAZY: I'd change the challenge Cup to a weekend 9's event played in Serbia and sold to. ESPN for a trillion dollars :CRAZY:
Daft thread....
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Wakefield is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Posted by RLRealist on Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:04 am
RLRealist User avatar

Call Me God wrote:
:CRAZY: I'd change the challenge Cup to a weekend 9's event played in Serbia and sold to. ESPN for a trillion dollars :CRAZY:
Daft thread....

How is it a daft thread when you have not even bothered to respond to each point and suggestion in the article? :roll:

The game as it is is stagnant and moving nowhere. The author suggests some very workable solutions that need to be implemented.

Have you any suggestions that are better for all points mentioned?
Posted by Psychedelic Casual on Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:22 pm
Psychedelic Casual Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 20
Rep Position: 15th / 77,037

puroresu_boy wrote:
From that article:

Since 1998 only four teams – Wigan, St Helens, Bradford and Leeds – have won the Super League.

A truly damning statistic.

There have been 5 different Premier League winners since 1998
5 different La Liga winners
6 different Bundesliga winners
5 different Serie A winners
There have been 7 different RU Premiership winners since the GF was a ‘thing’ in their sport (2001)
12 winners of the NRL since 1998
9 different NBA winners
6 different F1 Constructors winners

Yes, we have he smallest number of different winners. But I bet we have the smallest player pool (other than F1) and by far the lowest amount of money around the sport and the lowest amount of teams who could possibly win it.
--- ¡ We are Wire ! ---
Posted by jeffvickers on Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:25 pm
jeffvickers Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

The biggest problem is the nation's obsession with soccer.
Posted by silver2 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:45 pm
silver2 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,037

I would market it as the people game. A sport where the stars are still part of the community, where we don't feint injury etc etc..and then contrast it against premiership football.
PreviousNext