WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rugby League’s dwindling profile

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Rugby League’s dwindling profile

Re: Rugby League’s dwindling profile
Post Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:50 am
Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:50 am
JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 12
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

silver2 wrote:
Ignorance is term I used, not arrogance.

"Gutterfax/Call Me God" has a chronic problem with spelling common English words.
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021!

Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022!
Post Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:30 am
Posted by Bang on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:30 am
Bang User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

No doubt the huge streaming companies are going to get rights for PL + CL football sooner rather than later. Where does that leave Sky/BT? And more importantly - where does that leave RL?

Would Sky pump more money into the game? Try and make it grow into a much better product?
Would BT make a bid for RL to try + do the same?
YEAH LIKE WHATEVER!
TEAM UP! TEAM UP!
Post Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:25 am
Posted by bramleyrhino on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:25 am
bramleyrhino User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 19
Rep Position: 16th / 77,307

Bang wrote:
No doubt the huge streaming companies are going to get rights for PL + CL football sooner rather than later. Where does that leave Sky/BT? And more importantly - where does that leave RL?

Would Sky pump more money into the game? Try and make it grow into a much better product?
Would BT make a bid for RL to try + do the same?

Amazon already have a rights deal with the Premier League from next season, with two rounds of ten matches over bank holiday weekends and it has held rights for Thursday night NFL games and WTA tennis. Netflix doesn't seem overly interested in sport, instead building its business around original content.

Personally I wouldn't bet the farm on a big-money offer from Amazon just yet. They're clearly testing the water with sports rights and I suspect they are a pretty major loss-leader to drive subscriptions for Prime. If that is their aim, then what they need is mass appeal - not content that has limited regional appeal. The rights that they have bought also come with relatively low production costs - they have largely just been simulasting existing TV feeds, rather than doing their own OB and presenting.
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:
"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.
Post Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:32 am
Posted by Clearwing on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:32 am
Clearwing User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 9
Rep Position: 26th / 77,307

Both Sky and BT have flogged as much kit as they can though association with various sports. I don't foresee much in the way of involvement in future bidding wars by either company.
"The problem when you play Leeds is that they are a huge 'confidence' side. If you get on top of them, they will cower and go away, but when they get in front their chests puff out and they start whooping as they make tackles. " (Jon Wilkin)

“Leeds just wander around looking like they’re doing nothing” (Jon Wilkin)

"Jon Wilkin's tight pants and coffee shop have not helped him to see the bigger picture or allowed him to get a firm grip on reality." (leeds owl)
Post Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:52 pm
Posted by Call Me God on Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:52 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 53
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,307

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
"Gutterfax/Call Me God" has a chronic problem with spelling common English words.

Maybe Bazza, but in this instance he knew exactly what he was typing :D
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Post Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:54 pm
Posted by Call Me God on Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:54 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

silver2 wrote:
Ignorance is term I used, not arrogance.

you were arrogant thinking anyone south of the watford gap would even be able to find warrington on a map, let alone know they had a rugby league team......or even know what rugby league was for that matter.
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Post Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:20 pm
Posted by silver2 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:20 pm
silver2 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,307

Call Me God wrote:
you were arrogant thinking anyone south of the watford gap would even be able to find warrington on a map, let alone know they had a rugby league team......or even know what rugby league was for that matter.

Im sorry to correct you but the feeling I had was one of surprise not arrogance. Arrogance is what you exhibit when you think you know me more than I do.
Post Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:45 pm
Posted by Lebron James on Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:45 pm
Lebron James Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 12
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,307

The problem is. Rugby union is a far better spectacle. Ten years ago it wasn’t but it is now

Regards

King James
Superleague Titles
Warrington Wolfs - 0
Wakefield Trinity - 0
Leigh Centurions - 0

Budgiezilla wrote:
Surely it can only be a player from Catalans. Probably the best RL side I have ever witnessed in this season's comp.
Post Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:40 pm
Posted by silver2 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:40 pm
silver2 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,307

Lebron James wrote:
The problem is. Rugby union is a far better spectacle. Ten years ago it wasn’t but it is now

Regards

King James

Thats probably is true of the international game with its slo-mo play backs filling in the boring parts for TV but at club level it's no great shakes. I also have this theory that if you fill a stadium such as Twickers then the atmosphere alone would make even a game of chess seem exciting.
Post Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:46 pm
Posted by Call Me God on Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:46 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

silver2 wrote:
Thats probably is true of the international game with its slo-mo play backs filling in the boring parts for TV but at club level it's no great shakes. I also have this theory that if you fill a stadium such as Twickers then the atmosphere alone would make even a game of chess seem exciting.

1. You were arrogant thinking that anyone in the south should know who, what and which colours Warrington wear (USA spell checker has you down as Harrington)
2. Union still manage to polish their turd better than we do our diamond.....to slag them off is crass at best!

PreviousNext