WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rugby League’s dwindling profile

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Rugby League’s dwindling profile

Re: Rugby League’s dwindling profile
Post Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:59 pm
Posted by Superted on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:59 pm
Superted Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

Call Me God wrote:
The BBC made most of their Outside Broadcast staff redundant about a decade ago and contract out all major Outside Broadcast events like Wimbledon, FA cup, Challenge Cup and the 6 Nations.

The set-up at an OB usually involves a command truck worth about £4,000,000 and costing £10,000 a day to hire, a team of self employed contracted 6 riggers/runners, 6 cameras (minimum) and another Transport vehicle as well as Camera operators, producers, directors, presenters, commentators normally BBC employees. If the game involves the crew driving from London, then 1 game takes a minimum of 2 days and an overnight stay.
Knowing how much a driver/rigger get's paid, I would estimate the cost of putting on a Live game as between £65,000 and £75,000........so 2 games a week will run the BBC £3,500,000 or so over the season and that's for a pretty basic set up......
...the question needs to be asked if the RFL were to offer to bankroll this themselves for 3 seasons, would the increased exposure help the game and would the increased exposure attract a big name sponsor to cover the costs through naming rights?

IF....and it's a BIG IF.......we were to get 1,000,000 a game, then that would be essentially 69,000,000 sets of eyeballs over 3 years for £10,000,000.......I am a risk averse person by nature, but I reckon the games got more to lose by not trying something like this.....if sky come back with less money and more conditions in a few years time, I'd let them keep SL, but not the rights to the championship......

100% agreed. Though my preference would be for a halfway house - 3 televised games per week, 2 on Sky (or.another subsricption service) 1 on FTA. Sky get 1st pick each week, FTA get 2nd pick, Sky get 3rd pick. Would see a short term reduction in revenue from broadcast deal, but would hopefully have a long term benefit. Super league key well still have to subsidise the footage on FTA, or come up with a clever deal with a production company, maybe for a free 4th pick per week?
Post Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:13 pm
Posted by The Ghost of '99 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:13 pm
The Ghost of '99 User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,222

Quiz Score: 36

Gallanteer wrote:
Unfortunately, even if the Beeb did show weekly RL games from all leagues, the nation is so round ball focussed and Union focussed
The nation isn't Union focussed by any stretch of the imagination. The Times readership and/or editorial staff might be though.
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."
Post Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:16 pm
Posted by kobashi on Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:16 pm
kobashi Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,222

Gallanteer wrote:
Unfortunately, even if the Beeb did show weekly RL games from all leagues, the nation is so round ball focussed and Union focussed, it would take a lot to get people interested. Most true sports fans subscribe to BT or Sky anyway so if we can't get viewers already.

The only way to truly know though is to abandon Sky, take a massive financial hit, tons of adverising (another financial hit) and show weekly or twice weekly games on the Beeb or another free terrestial channel. This is similar to how the NFL got so many viewers when it came ocer in the late 80s on C4. However, this is a risk SL is not willing to take, and I can't blame them really.

That would be utter madness and most clubs would go broke. Why not instead ask the BBC or any other terrestrial channel to pay the going rate for TV rights.

How about we try and sell super league highlights show to a network that's gonna put it on in a timeslot which will attract viewers instead of the joke times the BBC give the competition
Post Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:16 pm
Posted by Call Me God on Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:16 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 53
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,222

The Ghost of '99 wrote:
The nation isn't Union focussed by any stretch of the imagination.

You saying so won't make it any less true......But rather than me falling into the age old trap of rolling out statistics, why don't you respond with proof of how Union isn't a popular sport in England.

League needs to raise its public profile and FTA TV is the best way to do that.
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Wakefield is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Post Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:26 am
Posted by Saddened! on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:26 am
Saddened! User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,222

It's inevitable that Rugby League will dwindle IMO. It'll be back to the pre-Super League days over the next ten years. The decline we're seeing now will continue and we'll see a reduced TV deal from now on.

The main problem the sport has is that it's bankrolled by Sky. Sky don't give a damn about anything other than football, hence the incredibly poor presentation they do of Super League. But Sky itself is probably in serious trouble, it's whole business model is being scrutinised and the vultures are circling. The likes of Amazon, Netflix, Facebook and Youtube are going to make a move into broadcasting sports very soon. Once they do, if they price it right, Sky haven't got a chance, they'll lose Premier League football and subscription numbers will plummet. With such a small fan base, Super League would be lucky to get a deal at all.
Post Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:18 am
Posted by Call Me God on Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:18 am
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Saddened! wrote:
With such a small fan base, Super League would be lucky to get a deal at all.

small, shrinking and aging fan base is how I'd describe it....
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Wakefield is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Post Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:35 am
Posted by shinymcshine on Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:35 am
shinymcshine Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,222

If people think the future of RL is dependent upon traditional print media and terrestrial TV broadcasting then they are just as backwards thinking as they often accuse the RFL of being.
Post Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:35 am
Posted by RLRealist on Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:35 am
RLRealist User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Call Me God wrote:
small, shrinking and aging fan base is how I'd describe it....

...yet happening in reverse in Toronto.
Post Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:55 am
Posted by Call Me God on Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:55 am
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

shinymcshine wrote:
If people think the future of RL is dependent upon traditional print media and terrestrial TV broadcasting then they are just as backwards thinking as they often accuse the RFL of being.

Print media no...... But FTA TV delivers millions of viewers.....

Post Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:23 am
Posted by wrencat1873 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:23 am
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 34
Rep Position: 5th / 77,222

RLRealist wrote:
...yet happening in reverse in Toronto.

One small issue over there and that is where do you think their players are coming from, it certainly isn't Toronto.
Maybe we should just export the whole of the UK player pool to N America and we can have "All New Super Dooper League".
You do have to admire their marketing prowess and their ability to get RL off the ground (in a non RL nation), they have done this extremely well.
However, without some kind of significant junior structure (not just taking failed college NFL players), they will struggle like hell in the medium/long term.
PreviousNext