WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Who do you want to get promoted to Super League for 2019?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Who do you want to get promoted to Super League for 2019?

Who do you want to get promoted to Super League in 2019?

1. Toronto
21%
2. Toulouse
17%
3. London.
20%
4. Featherstone
11%
5. Halifax
17%
6. Leigh
14%

Total votes : 94

Posted by Lebron James on Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:35 pm
Lebron James Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 120
Rep Position: 20th / 77,338

Quiz Score: 0

Bent&Bongser wrote:
Give you that LJ, Leigh played their part by bombing for the first month and a half of the season.

It's now VERY exciting for us, but not in a bone-on way.

It should be noted that the post to which you reply, pointed out a genuine, possible (probable) complication for Championship clubs and was not a snide sideswipe at Toronto from a Leyther. Seem to recall that Big Nige's salary was somewhat on a par with the above-mentioned Batley budget.

If you're a king, benight (stet) him.

Regards,

Ludwig Zweite :thumb:

The difference is, Batley have achieved more than that waster did

Regards

King James
Superleague Titles
Warrington Wolfs - 0
Wakefield Trinity - 0
Leigh Centurions - 0

Budgiezilla wrote:
Surely it can only be a player from Catalans. Probably the best RL side I have ever witnessed in this season's comp.
Posted by Ste100Centurions on Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:24 pm
Ste100Centurions Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 95
Rep Position: 26th / 77,338

Lebron James wrote:
I tell you what. Regardless of who gets promoted, the battle for top 4 has been so much more exciting than super league. All clubs have played their part...even Leigh :D

Regards

King James

True enough !
Posted by belcki on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:43 pm
belcki Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 103rd / 77,338

Tonto of course
Posted by Call Me God on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:57 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 412
Rep Position: 1st / 77,338

Bent&Bongser wrote:
Was it a tourist visa (putting dollars into their economy), or was it a working visa (taking them out)? BIG difference.

I've been to Toronto a few times on Business....which is what visiting teams are doing. There should be no issue with Visas....I don't imagine any SL clubs will have problems next year....it's just a matter of contacting their embassy/consulate and asking them......then following the instructions to the letter. Criminal convictions may well prevent some players from going.
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Posted by luke ShipleyRed on Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:53 pm
luke ShipleyRed Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 33
Rep Position: 74th / 77,338

Him wrote:
I have a bit of sympathy but Diskin says they’ve been trying to get it sorted for 3 months. That’s not actually that long a time frame to sort out visas/travel etc. Why weren’t they trying to sort it as soon as the fixture list was announced? It’s clearly their biggest logistical challenge of the year so surely you’d get that sorted first?

Makes you wonder. If clubs are having this much of a problem (you can add Barrow who have had this problem 2 years running, & Dewsbury). With 3 months. What the squads of the middle 8's teams are going to be like. Given that at most they have a month, and if you get them in August about a week etc.

Apparently part of the problem is not just to do with criminal records. But also if you have a spent conviction they require relevant paperwork, and this is what's causing problems.
Hull KR the pride of East Hull.
Posted by Budgiezilla on Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:04 am
Budgiezilla User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 322
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,338

Quiz Score: 224

My mate couldn't travel to Canada, because he had been to Afghanistan & Somalia with the British Armed Forces ! Is Donald Trump in charge of their VISA laws ?
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me"
Posted by Noel Cleal on Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:18 am
Noel Cleal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 102nd / 77,338

The middles 8's are looking more interesting that the Top 8 at moment.

The unknown element in the whole scenario is Leigh. Their inclusion/exclusion could change the landscape of the whole thing. They are in good form and have a track record of winning one off games against Super League opposition.

It is hard to say what will happen until we know if they are in or out.

I suspect that Toronto will be a good bet to go up. They would definitely add to Super League on many levels, most importantly from the clubs perspective, financially.

Toulouse look to have made the 4 but don't look as convincing at Toronto. Again the ESL clubs will want them in the league as they bring their own money and this could prompt an increase in the league to 13 or 14 to accommodate them.

Leigh. The wildcard. Could actually get results and finish higher than Toulouse if they get in the top 4. Doesn't bring the money the other 2 bring but are as good as a Widnes/HKR/Salford in that respect. Three quality teams would get the Super League club sweating.

Not sure the rest have a great chance. They are all doing well but are unlikely to be able to beat the full time professional clubs.
The Aussie Legend!!!
Posted by pandamonium on Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:41 pm
pandamonium User avatar
Stevo's Armpit

Reputation Points: 28
Rep Position: 79th / 77,338

Him wrote:
You’re right I don’t remember many League 1 clubs having trouble getting there, so maybe you’re right with that. Would explain it I suppose.

Canada's visa laws have not changed. Remember if you will that when the Wolfpack made their first ever trip from England to Canada in May 2017, two players were refused boarding on that first flight and missed the first ever home game. One was Fui Fui, not sure of the other one. Both arrived for the second game later in May.

At least two League 1 teams had visa issues in 2017, I'm pretty sure Barrow was one.
Posted by Him on Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:35 pm
Him User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Quiz Score: 4

pandamonium wrote:
Canada's visa laws have not changed. Remember if you will that when the Wolfpack made their first ever trip from England to Canada in May 2017, two players were refused boarding on that first flight and missed the first ever home game. One was Fui Fui, not sure of the other one. Both arrived for the second game later in May.

At least two League 1 teams had visa issues in 2017, I'm pretty sure Barrow was one.

So it’s possibly more confined to clubs where they have players with criminal records or spent criminal records. But still I despair a little bit that clubs don’t get this sorted as soon as the fixtures are released.
Posted by luke ShipleyRed on Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:27 pm
luke ShipleyRed Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Don't disagree Him.

But you would think 3 months is more than enough timenergy.
Hull KR the pride of East Hull.
PreviousNext