WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 2019 Super League Ins & Outs

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace 2019 Super League Ins & Outs

Re: 2019 Super League Ins & Outs
Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:20 am
Posted by Baxendale on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:20 am
Baxendale Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Nothus wrote:
So what's the deal with players like Austin and Lolohea coming over to SL? Are we really managing to offer more than an NRL club to these players depsite the huge salary cap disparity?
As far as I'm aware neither player has disgraced themselves or have been forced out by a scandal etc. Both are still relatively young, so aren't necessarily coming over here for early retirement money.

I'm not complaining that SL is managing to attract the calibre of these two, I'm just a bit baffled as to how we're pulling it off.

In Lolohea's case, he's far too inconsistent to be a regular NRL player and is pretty lazy when it comes to training and fitness by all accounts. As for Austin, I would have thought he could comfortably get an NRL deal (maybe not on the money he wants, didn't he knock back $800k last year?) so it's a surprise signing for SL in my opinion
Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:09 am
Posted by Sheldon on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:09 am
Sheldon User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Baxendale wrote:
In Lolohea's case, he's far too inconsistent to be a regular NRL player and is pretty lazy when it comes to training and fitness by all accounts. As for Austin, I would have thought he could comfortably get an NRL deal (maybe not on the money he wants, didn't he knock back $800k last year?) so it's a surprise signing for SL in my opinion

800k per year? Doubt it, that would be a bit high.

He’s backed himself and then played some poor rl, hasn’t helped him his hookers been injured, and clubs move on.

Clubs seem to be doing it a bit different with regards to recruitment, for instance there noway that Austin isn’t in the top 16 5/8ths in nrl but clubs like Gold Coast would rather give there youth a shot. And then of course you’ve got the amazingly poorly run Manly and Canterbury who have to spend the next 2 to 3 years sorting out there salary cap.
Tarquin Fuego wrote:
I love Jamie and have done since he was 10 years old.

The Reason wrote:
Hi Andy

The Rugby Football League are in the process of reviewing the video that you are referring to. We do not condone behaviour of this nature and have contacted the player’s employer, Hull F.C., who have confirmed that they are dealing with the incident under their club rules.

Regards,

Matthew
Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:22 am
Posted by Baxendale on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:22 am
Baxendale Strong-running second rower

Sheldon wrote:

He’s backed himself and then played some poor rl, hasn’t helped him his hookers been injured, and clubs move on.

Clubs seem to be doing it a bit different with regards to recruitment, for instance there noway that Austin isn’t in the top 16 5/8ths in nrl but clubs like Gold Coast would rather give there youth a shot. And then of course you’ve got the amazingly poorly run Manly and Canterbury who have to spend the next 2 to 3 years sorting out there salary cap.

I thought so too, but according to Paul Kent he did. With that year being a halves market, he wanted to try get 1m apparently
Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:15 am
Posted by ThePrinter on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:15 am
ThePrinter Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Location: Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
Alffi_7 wrote:
Going off topic a little here but...

To be fair, we are one of the better ran clubs....

True, but then you’ll get other clubs who aren’t as well run doing likewise to keep up with you.
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014
Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:07 pm
Posted by Superted on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:07 pm
Superted Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,307

Quiz Score: 0

Baxendale wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

I thought so too, but according to Paul Kent he did. With that year being a halves market, he wanted to try get 1m apparently

That's right - he was on top form in 2016, Raiders offered $800k around same time Ben Hunt signed with St George for $1m, so Austin backed himself as being worth equal/more than Hunt, which his form at the time would have suggested... Problem is, his form then dropped and Raiders reduced their offer significantly. Since then, his form has got worse, in particular his defence. So now, there aren't many clubs who's be in for him, and the ones that probably could do with him are either in a salary cap mess (dogs, eagles) or already have contracted players that they also can't shift (Eels).

Marquee money in SL is probably the best financial option left for Austin. But he will go terrific over here, where his defensive frailties won't be so ruthlessly exposed.

Lolohea is very inconsistent, and simply being a dangerous runner doesn't cut it for a 6 in the NRL - again, I suspect he'll go really well over here, but will be rocks and diamonds.
Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:34 pm
Posted by terrykelly on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:34 pm
terrykelly

ex super league club Leigh Centurions sign Brendan Elliot from Gold Coast Titans for the remainder of the season.
Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:35 pm
Posted by Frosties. on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:35 pm
Frosties. 100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,307

Quiz Score: 4

Leeds out of contract list: Carl Ablett, Luke Briscoe, Brett Delaney, Ryan Hall, Jamie Jones-Buchanan, Josh Jordan-Roberts, Jimmy Keinhorst, Joel Moon, Anthony Mullally, Josh Walters.
Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:43 pm
Posted by luke ShipleyRed on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:43 pm
luke ShipleyRed Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 14
Rep Position: 21st / 77,307

Leeds

Have signed Tui Lolohea from West's. From 2019.
Hull KR the pride of East Hull.
Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:19 pm
Posted by Sir Kevin Sinfield on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:19 pm
Sir Kevin Sinfield Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 15
Rep Position: 20th / 77,307

terrykelly wrote:
ex super league club Leigh Centurions sign Brendan Elliot from Gold Coast Titans for the remainder of the season.

Personally I don’t think these short term signings, at this stage of the year, should be allowed. Fair enough if someone comes in on a 1 or 2 year contract, but Brendan Elliot and Todd Carney are only here to the end of the year.

When clubs points are reset for the middle 8’s, it makes round 1-23 pointless.
Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:22 pm
Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:22 pm
JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 12
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,307

terrykelly wrote:

Brendan Elliot is OK but just OK. He is no Blake Austin nor a Tuimoala Lolohea. But then again, Leigh Centurions is not a Warrington Wolves nor a Leeds Rhinos quality team.
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021!

Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022!
PreviousNext