Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:15 pm
Posted by ColD on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:15 pm
ColD Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 76,959

Quiz Score: 84

Cokey wrote:
The super 8s will be scrapped after this season,so the £1m game as we know it, will be gone.

As we know it yes, but that's not the same as not having one is it
Onwards and upwards - LTID
Re: SL1 + SL2
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:16 pm
Posted by Cokey on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:16 pm
Cokey User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 44
Rep Position: 3rd / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
ColD wrote:
As we know it yes, but that's not the same as not having one is it

And are we having one?
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:37 pm
Posted by Levrier on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:37 pm
Levrier Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 76,959

Have all the issues that the game had thàt necessitated the last change of structure all vanished or will we go back to the old structure in the hope of slowing the decline? I wonder about the place of Toronto and Toulouse in the new scheme of things.
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:44 pm
Posted by Clearwing on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:44 pm
Clearwing User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 9
Rep Position: 26th / 76,959

"The problem when you play Leeds is that they are a huge 'confidence' side. If you get on top of them, they will cower and go away, but when they get in front their chests puff out and they start whooping as they make tackles. " (Jon Wilkin)

“Leeds just wander around looking like they’re doing nothing” (Jon Wilkin)

"Jon Wilkin's tight pants and coffee shop have not helped him to see the bigger picture or allowed him to get a firm grip on reality." (leeds owl)
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:50 pm
Posted by bramleyrhino on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:50 pm
bramleyrhino User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 19
Rep Position: 16th / 76,959

Towns88 wrote:
I don't really understand why hetherington is so annoyed? Part of me thought that because it arguably negatively impacts fev that somewhere it indirectly hurts leeds ?

From the little that seems to be out there, I think the biggest issue is that whilst GH agrees with the need to grow the sport, he disagrees with the way to achieve that. Reports from one of the meetings suggests that GH doesn't believe that the format is the issue, but that the clubs are themselves using the format as an excuse for their poor commercial performance. I actually agree with him on that point.

However, GH was a strong proponent of this format and so I think it would be natural to be defensive about it. GH is also a big proponent of dual registration - another issue that seems to be under fire.

GH is also an RFL man. Whether you approve or disprove of it, he has always been close to the people at Red Hall.

But I also suspect that there is a bit of brinkmanship here. GH knows that the 'SL Eleven' are weaker without the support of arguably its biggest club, and undoubtedly its biggest market. Lenaghan's dream of mega sponsorship deals are going to be much harder to come by without the support of the game's commercially strongest club and only strong 'big city' market - and Rob Elstone is already on record effectively saying as such. It wouldn't be unlike GH to use that leverage to get the concessions that he wants.
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:
"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:36 pm
Posted by Ste100Centurions on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:36 pm
Ste100Centurions Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 15
Rep Position: 20th / 76,959

Wadski wrote:
Leigh v Fax - 3,891
Hudds v Salford - 4,385

So you are highlighting that Hudds v Salford attracted only 494 more spectators for an all Sooper Dooper League game !!!
I highlight that it suggests Hudds, Salford & Widnes are on the slippery slope to oblivion, no doubt their Chairmen have voted for a bigger slice of the pie & to cut tiers 1 & 2 adrift effectively closing the shop !
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:40 pm
Posted by Towns88 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:40 pm
Towns88 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 76,959

bramleyrhino wrote:
From the little that seems to be out there, I think the biggest issue is that whilst GH agrees with the need to grow the sport, he disagrees with the way to achieve that. Reports from one of the meetings suggests that GH doesn't believe that the format is the issue, but that the clubs are themselves using the format as an excuse for their poor commercial performance. I actually agree with him on that point.

However, GH was a strong proponent of this format and so I think it would be natural to be defensive about it. GH is also a big proponent of dual registration - another issue that seems to be under fire.

GH is also an RFL man. Whether you approve or disprove of it, he has always been close to the people at Red Hall.

But I also suspect that there is a bit of brinkmanship here. GH knows that the 'SL Eleven' are weaker without the support of arguably its biggest club, and undoubtedly its biggest market. Lenaghan's dream of mega sponsorship deals are going to be much harder to come by without the support of the game's commercially strongest club and only strong 'big city' market - and Rob Elstone is already on record effectively saying as such. It wouldn't be unlike GH to use that leverage to get the concessions that he wants.

Thank you for the insightful and detailed post. Duel reg needs major work if it's going to be fair and a success , I'm sure more sides will run a reserve grade comp asap. I'm sure there will be more changes to come.
"I'm sorry, but I would hope that we would beat Cas with a 1 day turnaround."

An arrogant Wigan fan a few days before we stuffed them 18-4 at the JJB.
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:58 pm
Posted by Ste100Centurions on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:58 pm
Ste100Centurions Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 15
Rep Position: 20th / 76,959

You could almost expect that the SL protectionists will cut central funding to Championship, League 1 & take all of the pie, then increase the Salary Cap so that no lower tier Club will ever be able to compete, it is a recipe for disaster & I am not at all surprised by the reaction so far from Championship Chairmen.

The old qualifying criteria for SL such as attendance, stadium standards, on field performance & sound business & financing will be set aside yet further still *it was never enforced anyway* & the likes of Giants, Salford Widnes & to a lesser extent Wakey will be encouraged to take & eat the pie without actually contributing to putting any pie on the table.

Catalans, Salford, Hudds, & Widnes are surely licking their collective lips that the scheming of Eric Pollard & his cohorts is successful.

I foresee a lot of damage will be done over the next few months.
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:32 pm
Posted by majorhound on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:32 pm
majorhound Stevo's Armpit

Ste100Centurions wrote:
You could almost expect that the SL protectionists will cut central funding to Championship, League 1 & take all of the pie, then increase the Salary Cap so that no lower tier Club will ever be able to compete, it is a recipe for disaster & I am not at all surprised by the reaction so far from Championship Chairmen.

The old qualifying criteria for SL such as attendance, stadium standards, on field performance & sound business & financing will be set aside yet further still *it was never enforced anyway* & the likes of Giants, Salford Widnes & to a lesser extent Wakey will be encouraged to take & eat the pie without actually contributing to putting any pie on the table.

Catalans, Salford, Hudds, & Widnes are surely licking their collective lips that the scheming of Eric Pollard & his cohorts is successful.

I foresee a lot of damage will be done over the next few months.

As Mark Campbell says, the gap in class between the top Championship clubs and the bottom SL clubs has narrowed. Presumably the SL chairmen don't want this. They want to return where there is a vast chasm between the Championship and SL, as was beginning to open up under licencing.
Fev's first home game under the new regime was against newly relegated Bradford. They destroyed Fev. But later that season on the hottest day of the year Fev beat Bradford at Braford. An indication that Championship clubs ere improving. the fact that Leigh toppled Hull KR two years ago was another pointer. They are now taking action to put a stop to this phenomenon.
Post Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:41 pm
Posted by tad rhino on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:41 pm
tad rhino User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

I agree. looks like the sl clubs want a closed shop. the top of the tree is only as strong as its roots
PreviousNext