WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Woods has gone - Happy Xmas

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Woods has gone - Happy Xmas

Re: Woods has gone - Happy Xmas
Post Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:00 pm
Posted by headhunter on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:00 pm
headhunter User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 27th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:21 pm
Posts: 17204
Location: South Wales
PrinterThe wrote:
Sinfield has a Masters degree in sports business with the aim of being involved in that kind of role.
That's great, so do thousands of other people. What has he done to even be remotely mentioned in passing other than being good at playing rugby?
King Street Cat wrote:
Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.
Re: Woods has gone - Happy Xmas
Post Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:31 pm
Posted by PrinterThe on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:31 pm
PrinterThe Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 26
Rep Position: 10th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:34 pm
Posts: 2216
headhunter wrote:
That's great, so do thousands of other people.


And I mentioned that it wasn't enough on its own.

headhunter wrote:
What has he done to even be remotely mentioned in passing other than being good at playing rugby?


That was pointed out to you previously and I'm guessing your were unaware of it before being critical of the suggestion. Neither the Masters degree or his rugby career individually should be taking too much, but both together (and it's not just a good career it's being a cornerstone of the best most successful run club of the SL era) should at least get his name thrown out there.
Re: Woods has gone - Happy Xmas
Post Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:38 pm
Posted by headhunter on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:38 pm
headhunter User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 27th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:21 pm
Posts: 17204
Location: South Wales
PrinterThe wrote:
And I mentioned that it wasn't enough on its own.

That was pointed out to you previously and I'm guessing your were unaware of it before being critical of the suggestion. Neither the Masters degree or his rugby career individually should be taking too much, but both together (and it's not just a good career it's being a cornerstone of the best most successful run club of the SL era) should at least get his name thrown out there.
Why should it? His brief tenure as England team manager not withstanding, why should he be considered any more than one of the other thousands of sports business Masters graduates, who wouldn't be considered at all because they have no experience of running a major governing body?

"Because he was good at playing rugby" is going to be your answer which is bordering on insanity IMO, what the hell does that have to do with anything?
King Street Cat wrote:
Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.
Re: Woods has gone - Happy Xmas
Post Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:04 pm
Posted by PrinterThe on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:04 pm
PrinterThe Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 26
Rep Position: 10th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:34 pm
Posts: 2216
headhunter wrote:
Why should it? His brief tenure as England team manager not withstanding, why should he be considered any more than one of the other thousands of sports business Masters graduates, who wouldn't be considered at all because they have no experience of running a major governing body?

"Because he was good at playing rugby" is going to be your answer which is bordering on insanity IMO, what the hell does that have to do with anything?



It's not "because he was good at playing rugby".....you honestly think that being involved in the sport at the highest level for 20 years at the best run club at that time doesn't give him some insight/experience/ideas that other non RL experienced can't offer?

Like I said it shouldn't be enough to get him a top job.....but at the same time it shouldn't be dismissed like you're trying to do. His name should at least be in the mix and not dismissed by someone simply because he played for a rival club.
Re: Woods has gone - Happy Xmas
Post Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:03 pm
Posted by headhunter on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:03 pm
headhunter User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 27th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:21 pm
Posts: 17204
Location: South Wales
PrinterThe wrote:
It's not "because he was good at playing rugby".....you honestly think that being involved in the sport at the highest level for 20 years at the best run club at that time doesn't give him some insight/experience/ideas that other non RL experienced can't offer?

Like I said it shouldn't be enough to get him a top job.....but at the same time it shouldn't be dismissed like you're trying to do. His name should at least be in the mix and not dismissed by someone simply because he played for a rival club.
Lol who do you think my 'rival club' is? I like Sinfield and admire him as a player. But he shouldn't even be considered at all for a job like this. Ryan Bailey was around Leeds for most of that time, do you think he should also be considered? No, you're basing it on the idea that Sinfield is a good leader because he was a leader on the pitch. It's a totally bizarre, backwards mentality within the sport, the same mentality that saw Peacock appointed to a totally unsuitable role at Hull KR and get the club relegated, or Cunningham given the St Helens coaching job when it was clear that he was a million miles away from being a capable Super League coach. It happens in other sports too, like when Maradona was coach of the Argentina football team. Very strange mentality that people have.

There's no evidence that Sinfield has any ability at all as an administrator and he doesn't have anything even remotely approaching the level of experience to be considered for this. There's nothing to separate him from the thousands of other sports business Masters graduates, of which probabilities would suggest that he would almost certainly not be the most capable. You're advocating him because you are a fanboy of him as a player and can't separate what he did on the field from the person off it. Get a grip, he has no business even being discussed for this role. If anything, based on your arguments you should be advocating Gary Hetherington who was the one actually running Leeds, not someone who happened to be a good player for the club at the time.
King Street Cat wrote:
Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.
Re: Woods has gone - Happy Xmas
Post Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:16 pm
Posted by PrinterThe on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:16 pm
PrinterThe Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 26
Rep Position: 10th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:34 pm
Posts: 2216
headhunter wrote:
Lol who do you think my 'rival club' is? I like Sinfield and admire him as a player. But he shouldn't even be considered at all for a job like this. Ryan Bailey was around Leeds for most of that time, do you think he should also be considered? No, you're basing it on the idea that Sinfield is a good leader because he was a leader on the pitch. It's a totally bizarre, backwards mentality within the sport, the same mentality that saw Peacock appointed to a totally unsuitable role at Hull KR and get the club relegated, or Cunningham given the St Helens coaching job when it was clear that he was a million miles away from being a capable Super League coach. It happens in other sports too, like when Maradona was coach of the Argentina football team. Very strange mentality that people have.

There's no evidence that Sinfield has any ability at all as an administrator and he doesn't have anything even remotely approaching the level of experience to be considered for this. You're advocating him because you are a fanboy of him as a player and can't separate what he did on the field from the person off it. Get a grip, he has no business even being discussed for this role. If anything, based on your arguments you should be advocating Gary Hetherington who was the one actually running Leeds, not someone who happened to be a good player for the club at the time.


No his career as a RL player is an attribute. He has being working on planning on going into an administrative role for several years including getting a Masters degree at university so to compare him to Ryan Bailey going for the same role is idiotic.

What's happened is you didn't know the Uni bit about Sinfield and just tried to jump on the suggestion he should be considered. Instead of accepting your mistake you're now digging a hole and trying to suggest him Sinfield getting the role is no different to Ryan Bailey.

I'd agree if you say he shouldn't just be given a role. To say he shouldn't be considered at all is stupidity

ANY Rugby League who has worked hard academically,got degrees and spent several years aiming to have a role in the administrative side of the sport should always be in consideration for roles....not given them solely on them being past players....but considered and in the mix.
Re: Woods has gone - Happy Xmas
Post Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:08 pm
Posted by headhunter on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:08 pm
headhunter User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 27th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:21 pm
Posts: 17204
Location: South Wales
PrinterThe wrote:
No his career as a RL player is an attribute. He has being working on planning on going into an administrative role for several years including getting a Masters degree at university so to compare him to Ryan Bailey going for the same role is idiotic.

What's happened is you didn't know the Uni bit about Sinfield and just tried to jump on the suggestion he should be considered. Instead of accepting your mistake you're now digging a hole and trying to suggest him Sinfield getting the role is no different to Ryan Bailey.

I'd agree if you say he shouldn't just be given a role. To say he shouldn't be considered at all is stupidity

ANY Rugby League who has worked hard academically,got degrees and spent several years aiming to have a role in the administrative side of the sport should always be in consideration for roles....not given them solely on them being past players....but considered and in the mix.
No, I was aware he was at uni, I just didn't care. I don't think a fresh-faced graduate is a suitable person to be considered for the CEO of the RFL, regardless of whether or not they were a good player or played for a good club.

If you have 5 sports business masters graduates applying for a job in RL, one of them is Kevin Sinfield, one is some random guy who played for Gloucestershire All Golds and the other three have never played RL, which one is best for the job?
King Street Cat wrote:
Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.
Re: Woods has gone - Happy Xmas
Post Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:13 pm
Posted by Budgiezilla on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:13 pm
Budgiezilla User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 11th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 224

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:24 pm
Posts: 6826
Location: Sefton Street, Leigh
So folk are glad 'Mr Blobby' has left.....now what !?
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me"
Re: Woods has gone - Happy Xmas
Post Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:20 pm
Posted by BrisbaneRhino on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:20 pm
BrisbaneRhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 22nd / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 11:46 pm
Posts: 8682
Location: 10 mins walk from Suncorp Stadium
I'm actually with headhunter on this one. Sinfield might be a good choice to be an assistant to whoever leads the game because he understands the sport from the inside and most people involved in the game will respect his opinions. But actually running an organisation when he's never done anything remotely like it before? Nonsense. Especially given how fractured the game is and reliant on clubs sometimes making decisions in favour of the sport as a whole at their own expense.

I think the head coach comparison is a really good one. Appointing former players straight into the role is lazy recruitment because its popular with some fans due to playing records. But coaching isn't what it was in Alex Murphy's day - it is or should be a highly technical role requiring good man management skills as well. Most players, even captains of clubs, are probably hopelessly ill-equipped to become head coaches the day they retire.

Running our game is far more difficult, and to be honest I'd far rather we look at people with business experience and contacts in industry. If we ever get a presence in North America we should definitely look at getting them involved in running the game. Shock horror, they might even understand marketing.
Re: Woods has gone - Happy Xmas
Post Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:32 pm
Posted by PrinterThe on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:32 pm
PrinterThe Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 26
Rep Position: 10th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:34 pm
Posts: 2216
Do HeadHunter and BrisbaneRhino actually understand what "being considered" means?

Doesn't mean give him the job, and yes if there are 2/3 people with no RL experience but vastly more experienced in this role then give them the job because they'll know things Sinfield won't.....But he'll have ideas/criticisms/plans as a past player that none of them could offer or never think of given no past history in the sport.

So when someone says "considered"..,,,learn what considered mean.....doesn't mean given the job.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ColD, Google Adsense [Bot], Lebron James, Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza, nottinghamtiger, Willzay and 105 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,762,1971,45876,9594,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
TODAY 10:50
NRL
PARRAMATTA EELS
v
CANTERBURY
TODAY 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
ST. HELENS
TOMORROW 09:00
NRL
CRONULLA
v
CANBERRA
TOMORROW 10:50
NRL
BRISBANE
v
PENRITH
TOMORROW 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
LEEDS RHINOS
v
WIDNES VIKINGS
TOMORROW 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
CASTLEFORD
v
HUDDERSFIELD
TOMORROW 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
HULL KR
v
WARRINGTON
Sat 21st Jul 06:00
NRL
NEWCASTLE
v
GOLD COAST
Sat 21st Jul 08:30
NRL
WESTS TIGERS
v
SOUTHS
Sat 21st Jul 10:30
NRL
NQL COWBOYS
v
ST GEORGE
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






2