Posted by Call Me God on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:56 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 53
Rep Position: 2nd / 77,273

Quiz Score: 0

Lebron James wrote:
Toronto have achieved in a year what the likes of wakefield have been trying for , for a hundred years. An average attendance of over 5k

Regards

King James

lol.......isn't there an 'ANGLING" forum missing you?
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Re: North America
Post Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:41 pm
Posted by HXSparky on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:41 pm
HXSparky User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 15
Rep Position: 20th / 77,273

Quiz Score: 96

Toronto sold a load of season tickets for 2017 on the back of a lot of hype for £118. This year, in the Championship, they're charging £147. Like all clubs, they can count season ticket holders in their attendance figures whether they turn up or not.

Fail to gain promotion to SL for 2019 and maybe see the door closed for a few years (assuming they're treated the same as UK clubs) and I suspect their attendance numbers could diminish rather rapidly.
Post Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:52 am
Posted by Huddersfield1895 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:52 am
Huddersfield1895 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 28th / 77,273

Post Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:54 am
Posted by Huddersfield1895 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:54 am
Huddersfield1895 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 28th / 77,273

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:06 pm
Posted by wire-quin on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:06 pm
wire-quin User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 11
Rep Position: 24th / 77,273

It would seem the Toronto v Fax game will be played at London Skolars- Odd choice
Mac out!
Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:19 pm
Posted by Call Me God on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:19 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

How many NFL rejects did Toronto pick up in 2017?
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:49 am
Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:49 am
JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 12
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,273

Call Me God wrote:
How many NFL rejects did Toronto pick up in 2017?

It is too early to be using this criterion yet as a measure of anything Gutters.

Be careful with your cynicism about Toronto.
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2019!

Avignon for Championship in 2020, Super League in 2021!
Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:20 pm
Posted by Call Me God on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:20 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
It is too early to be using this criterion yet as a measure of anything Gutters.

No it isn't. Rugby League is not a game that can be picked up quickly and you'd be better off getting younger players into the game and them learning and developing slowly as was the case with LMS or Clubb to name but 2.........but Toronto and NA expansion fans are adamant that failed NFL players are ripe for the picking.......yet we've seen none so far.

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
Be careful with your cynicism about Toronto.

Why....is there a sharp edge or is it hot? Why be careful?

8k average gates was bull, there are tales of multiple unpaid bills and companies chasing them, companies being set up and then folding, the rearranged 2018 fixture list with less travel, half empty flights between Toronto and Manchester last year and multiple social media stories of players out on the drink most nights during the season as they knew they could beat their opponents with ease.....
Hey, I'd love Toronto to do well and don't care if they replace any other side, but at present, they have simply won a league they were expected to, flogged the 'arris out of Facebook, run beer festivals and given away tickets like confetti and raised many eyebrows in terms of their compliance with the salary cap......their 2018 Squad wouldn't finish bottom of the SL, but apparently their squad are doing it for "the experience".
I also wonder at the expectation of how big a draw Wigan will be in Toronto as opposed to Batley, when most Canadians could maybe find London on a map of the UK and that would be it.......and I believe that at present it looks very much like a "crusaders" situation, with the expected 1.8 million in sky cash seen as the answer to their fiscal needs.....it isn't.
Salford vToronto isn't going to appeal to TV networks over there either...especially when you tune in and there's more camera crew than fans at the ground......North Americans go big or go home........Toulouse playing in a 4k french pig-sty isn't going to have ESPN flashing the cash!

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:08 pm
Posted by wrencat1873 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:08 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 34
Rep Position: 5th / 77,273

Call Me God wrote:
No it isn't. Rugby League is not a game that can be picked up quickly and you'd be better off getting younger players into the game and them learning and developing slowly as was the case with LMS or Clubb to name but 2.........but Toronto and NA expansion fans are adamant that failed NFL players are ripe for the picking.......yet we've seen none so far.

Why....is there a sharp edge or is it hot? Why be careful?

8k average gates was bull, there are tales of multiple unpaid bills and companies chasing them, companies being set up and then folding, the rearranged 2018 fixture list with less travel, half empty flights between Toronto and Manchester last year and multiple social media stories of players out on the drink most nights during the season as they knew they could beat their opponents with ease.....
Hey, I'd love Toronto to do well and don't care if they replace any other side, but at present, they have simply won a league they were expected to, flogged the 'arris out of Facebook, run beer festivals and given away tickets like confetti and raised many eyebrows in terms of their compliance with the salary cap......their 2018 Squad wouldn't finish bottom of the SL, but apparently their squad are doing it for "the experience".
I also wonder at the expectation of how big a draw Wigan will be in Toronto as opposed to Batley, when most Canadians could maybe find London on a map of the UK and that would be it.......and I believe that at present it looks very much like a "crusaders" situation, with the expected 1.8 million in sky cash seen as the answer to their fiscal needs.....it isn't.
Salford vToronto isn't going to appeal to TV networks over there either...especially when you tune in and there's more camera crew than fans at the ground......North Americans go big or go home........Toulouse playing in a 4k french pig-sty isn't going to have ESPN flashing the cash!

Toronto home fixtures will be similar to Catalan home fixtures, in so far as the crowd will be made up of 95%++ of home fans and it's their own fans who they have to please and IF they can fill their ground and make it look full/pretty for the cameras, any broadcaster would be happy, after all, they are chasing revenue from advertisers and not bothered about who may be at the game.
With respect to your comments regarding Batley and Wigan, I doubt that too many Canadians will have heard of either of them and if Mr Perez & Co can sell "the product" AND if they are competitive, especially at home, then maybe, the locals will get on board.
Of course, this doesn't get rid of the elephant in the room as to whether The Championship/ Super League are compatible with the inclusion of North American clubs, which is a far greater issue than whether Toronto can actually make it that far (SL).
The inclusion of N. American clubs in SL could kill the sport in the UK and perhaps a little more building of foundations needs doing before anyone considers the next step ?
Post Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:22 am
Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:22 am
JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 12
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,273

wrencat1873 wrote:
The inclusion of N. American clubs in SL could kill the sport in the UK and perhaps a little more building of foundations needs doing before anyone considers the next step ?

How exactly could this possibly happen? What would be the process?
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2019!

Avignon for Championship in 2020, Super League in 2021!
PreviousNext