WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - International Sports events and Referees.

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace International Sports events and Referees.

Posted by Call Me God on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:40 am
Call Me God User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 10th / 76,390

Quiz Score: 0

The Ashes 2017/18
Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Indian, South Africa and New zealand will supply the umpires for the 5 ashes tests involving England and Australia....with no involvement from Au or Eng......
Rugby UNION World Cup 2015.
Welsh Referee.....ANZAC teams with French and English touchies.....
FIFA World Cup
Italian Referee....with no Italians playing but two running the line as well....

....you can see where this is going!

Kiwi Ref Henry Perenara is available.......but nah, let's go with an Australian in Australia featuring Australia as one of the teams...... :CRAZY: :CRAZY:
Posted by Psychedelic Casual on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:48 am
Psychedelic Casual Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 9th / 76,390

Fair dinkum

Remember the Hall no try a few years back over there? We have nowt to worry about!
--- ¡ We are Wire ! ---
Posted by barham red on Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:15 am
barham red User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Call Me God wrote:
The Ashes 2017/18
Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Indian, South Africa and New zealand will supply the umpires for the 5 ashes tests involving England and Australia....with no involvement from Au or Eng......
Rugby UNION World Cup 2015.
Welsh Referee.....ANZAC teams with French and English touchies.....
FIFA World Cup
Italian Referee....with no Italians playing but two running the line as well....

....you can see where this is going!

Kiwi Ref Henry Perenara is available.......but nah, let's go with an Australian in Australia featuring Australia as one of the teams...... :CRAZY: :CRAZY:

Been saying this all tournament, why England have had an English ref when playing team like the Lebanon is just ridiculous.
Posted by Hopie on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:14 am
Hopie User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

We get an English ref when it doesn't matter so that the Aussies can have their own ref when it does and it "balances" out.

Not forgetting English refs are more likely to go against us to avoid looking biased!
“You are playing a game of football this afternoon but more than that you are playing for England, and more even than that, you are playing for right versus wrong. You will win because you have to win. Don’t forget that message from home. England expects every one of you to do his duty.”
Posted by Grimmy on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:58 am
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 9th / 76,390

Quiz Score: 44

I think we need to just trust that the referees are unbiased, and select the best person for the job, regardless of nationality. I'm sure a biased aussie ref wouldn't have corrected Thaler during game 1, when he looked set to disallow us a try v Australia, and would have sent Tonga through last weekend to give the Australia an easier final.

If we had a load of top refs from other countries, it would be easier to take that stance, but we don't. The best referees are all from Australia and England, and have been for as long as I've been watching. Just like the players, the referees should have competition for places. I don't think we want the situation where, regardless of performance, Perenara would be guaranteed a World Cup Final, and every Australian referee would know they will never have the opportunity to referee a World Cup Final.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Posted by Sir Kevin Sinfield on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:52 pm
Sir Kevin Sinfield Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,390

Not an issue for me. The vast majority of refs are English or Australian, just select the best man for the job regardless of nationality.
Posted by Muggins on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:14 pm
Muggins User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 7th / 76,390

Quiz Score: 56

Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
Not an issue for me. The vast majority of refs are English or Australian, just select the best man for the job regardless of nationality.

I agree. Other sports can do it because they have more strength in depth in the international game. Even then I think it's more about wanting to appear to be fair, rather than because a referee would show any bias.

I have no problem at all with an Aussie refereeing the final. They're professional and they will give decisions based on what they see. I think referees would be quite annoyed at the suggestion that they're going to favour one team over another.

Whether the NZ ref mentioned deserves a chance at the final I'm not sure. But I wouldn't give him the job just because he's not Australian or English. If there are more deserving candidates, it should be them irrespective of their nationality.
Posted by knockersbumpMKII on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:49 pm
knockersbumpMKII Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 6th / 76,390

So long as they are consistent to both teams at all times I couldn't give a tinkers cuss, certainly don't want the 'evening up' type refereeing we see far too often which usually leaves it too late for the team hit hard to do anything.
After the first game and the ridiculous penalties against us which the okkers were doing all game and even instigated by lifting a leg into the defender I am concerned as to balance.