WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Brazil make international debut

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Brazil make international debut

Re: Brazil make international debut
Post Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:01 pm
Posted by shinymcshine on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:01 pm
shinymcshine Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:45 pm
Posts: 1514
Whilst I'd love to be thrilled about 50 nations playing RL the vast majority of those countries have no professional league structure, hence the wider development of the game isn't really sustainable.
Re: Brazil make international debut
Post Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:02 pm
Posted by headhunter on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:02 pm
headhunter User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:21 pm
Posts: 17131
Location: South Wales
shinymcshine wrote:
Whilst I'd love to be thrilled about 50 nations playing RL the vast majority of those countries have no professional league structure, hence the wider development of the game isn't really sustainable.
Ok, I'll contact these guys and tell them not to bother then.
King Street Cat wrote:
Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.
Re: Brazil make international debut
Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:18 am
Posted by shinymcshine on Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:18 am
shinymcshine Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:45 pm
Posts: 1514
headhunter wrote:
Ok, I'll contact these guys and tell them not to bother then.


Way too much of the RL development seems to be left to enthusiastic ex-pats or well intentioned amateurs, whose dedication and hard work isn't always built on a solid foundation.

I would love the game to grow, but there just doesn't seem to be a coordinated manner to make it happen, just the occasional random flourish in an obscure corner of the globe that people roll out to 'prove' the game is spreading.
Re: Brazil make international debut
Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:26 pm
Posted by headhunter on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:26 pm
headhunter User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:21 pm
Posts: 17131
Location: South Wales
shinymcshine wrote:
Way too much of the RL development seems to be left to enthusiastic ex-pats or well intentioned amateurs, whose dedication and hard work isn't always built on a solid foundation.

I would love the game to grow, but there just doesn't seem to be a coordinated manner to make it happen, just the occasional random flourish in an obscure corner of the globe that people roll out to 'prove' the game is spreading.
What do you think should be happening? Who should be making these 'coordinated' moves? You can't force people to play the sport in some random place where nobody knows it exists. The fact that there are over 50 nations now playing as opposed to less than ten 15 years ago would suggest that yes it probably is spreading but I'm not trying to 'prove' anything, just sharing what I thought was some positive news about a sport that we all supposedly enjoy being played in a new continent, apparently not in your eyes.

But you're free to go ahead and tell them that they're wasting their time.
https://www.facebook.com/futbol13chile/?fref=mentions
King Street Cat wrote:
Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.
Re: Brazil make international debut
Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:46 pm
Posted by shinymcshine on Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:46 pm
shinymcshine Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:45 pm
Posts: 1514
I'd like the RLIF to have a clear strategy for rolling out the game with a structured route of international competition to allow sustainable growth to allow the global competition to strengthen.

http://rlif.com/members

What we seem to end up with, and accept though, is adhoc best endeavours of a committed few in the developing nations, whilst those in the game's position of power sit dumb and happy in the belief that the game is growing.
Re: Brazil make international debut
Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:35 pm
Posted by Wellsy13 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:35 pm
Wellsy13 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:42 pm
Posts: 9793
Location: Hull

What's the Brazil shirt look like?
Image
Re: Brazil make international debut
Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:26 pm
Posted by Lebron James on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:26 pm
Lebron James Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 8

Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:32 pm
Posts: 1132
How many teams are there in Brazil?

Regards

King James
Re: Brazil make international debut
Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:57 am
Posted by Sir Kevin Sinfield on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:57 am
Sir Kevin Sinfield Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 am
Posts: 1227
headhunter wrote:
What do you think should be happening? Who should be making these 'coordinated' moves? You can't force people to play the sport in some random place where nobody knows it exists. The fact that there are over 50 nations now playing as opposed to less than ten 15 years ago would suggest that yes it probably is spreading but I'm not trying to 'prove' anything, just sharing what I thought was some positive news about a sport that we all supposedly enjoy being played in a new continent, apparently not in your eyes.

But you're free to go ahead and tell them that they're wasting their time.
https://www.facebook.com/futbol13chile/?fref=mentions

Absolutely right. Comments like there is no professional league structure are ridiculous. Like you can go from the sport having never been played in a country, to having a fully professional league at the drop of a hat.

New Zealand don’t even have a fully professional league, how are Jamaica supposed to? The fact there are amateur leagues and international games is great.

Moving forward we need a Fijian side in the New South Wales Cup, to provide a better player pathway for Fijians. New Zealand and Tonga need to play mid-season every year to rival origin.

Samoa, Fiji and PNG also need to play mid season as well as at the end of the year. If Fiji and Tonga don’t have games to play at the end of the 2018 season it’ll be a travesty.
Re: Brazil make international debut
Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:48 pm
Posted by shinymcshine on Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:48 pm
shinymcshine Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:45 pm
Posts: 1514
What I find ridiculous is countries standing up with National teams when there is minimal domestic competition in existence in that country.

National representation should be the aspirational pinnacle for domestic competitors, not a replacement for the domestic game.
Re: Brazil make international debut
Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:34 pm
Posted by Sir Kevin Sinfield on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:34 pm
Sir Kevin Sinfield Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 am
Posts: 1227
So you think New Zealand having a national team is ridiculous, despite the fact they won the World Cup in 2008.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dave K., Halfdan of t'wide embrace, Instalamus, luke ShipleyRed, Marcus Notsquare, Marcus's Bicycle, Paddyfc, Seth, UllFC and 112 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace





POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,669,1281,57876,3834,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 1st Feb 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WARRINGTON
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Thu 1st Feb 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
HULL FC
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Fri 2nd Feb 19:30
SUPER LEAGUE
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 2nd Feb 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
ST. HELENS
v
CASTLEFORD
Fri 2nd Feb 19:45
 CHAMPIONSHIP
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
SHEFFIELD
Fri 2nd Feb 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Sat 3rd Feb 14:00
 CHAMPIONSHIP
TOULOUSE
v
SWINTON LIONS
Sun 4th Feb 15:00
 CHAMPIONSHIP
LEIGH
v
TORONTO
Sun 4th Feb 15:00
 CHAMPIONSHIP
LONDON BRONCOS
v
BARROW RAIDERS
Sun 4th Feb 15:00
 CHAMPIONSHIP
ROCHDALE
v
BATLEY BULLDOGS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM