WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - World Cup: Thoughts so far?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace World Cup: Thoughts so far?

Re: World Cup: Thoughts so far?
Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:08 pm
Posted by brearley84 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:08 pm
brearley84 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 18th / 76,460

Quiz Score: 8

wow great result for tonga!!!

also i feel for england... to reach the final now.

scotland got some credit back with the draw against samoa.... have to think what might have been if they had the other 3 disgraced players...
HUDDERSFIELD
-
THE BIRTHPLACE OF RUGBY LEAGUE
Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:56 pm
Posted by Call Me God on Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:56 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 6th / 76,460

Quiz Score: 0

Huddersfield1895 wrote:
Like many i have been disappointed with crowds so far,

I've been to both games in Hamilton so far and both have been epic......combine them with the games in Christchurch and Auckland and the NZ average is 18,000.......it's the criminal element that are letting the side down in terms of attendances!
NZ would be a perfect stand alone host in future......or put one group in PNG and have 3 double headers there with the rest in NZ.......If the Okers can't be bothered then why bother with them?
Speaking to many Tongans, if they can get the cash together they will be flying or car pooling and driving/ferrying down to Ch Ch this weekend coming in their masses..it's a shame it's not in Mount Smart because they'd have filled it 4 times over!
Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:31 pm
Posted by Fax Missionary on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:31 pm
Fax Missionary User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

I was at the Australia v Lebanon game last night and the atmosphere was absolutely fantastic. Just over 21k there and the noise from the Lebanese fans and their general enjoyment of the game was a lesson to the tier 1 teams. The result was never in doubt, but the Lebanese team despite lacking depth are well drilled and play with real heart. I was also at the England v Lebanon game and tbh England don’t demonstrate that same passion. If they did they wouldn’t go to sleep for 20 mins each time they play the Aussies and might stand a chance of beating them.

Despite critics on here, I think this World Cup has been one of the best, despite questionable venue selection by the organisers and questionable referee selection, with stand out performances from Tonga, Fiji, PNG and Lebanon. Can’t see anyone toppling the Aussies at they are just too well drilled, but in the day who knows.
Spirit of 1895

Integrity
Honesty
Openness

Join the fight to win back our game
Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:02 pm
Posted by fun time frankie on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:02 pm
fun time frankie Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 17th / 76,460

brearley84 wrote:
wow great result for tonga!!!

also i feel for england... to reach the final now.

scotland got some credit back with the draw against samoa.... have to think what might have been if they had the other 3 disgraced players...

I think Scotland got such a good result because of the three players missing two bad results and three bad eggs get sent home suddenly a good result can't be a coincidence
einstien said insanity is when a person does the same thing over and over again but expects a different result
Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:49 am
Posted by Huddersfield1895 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:49 am
Huddersfield1895 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 14th / 76,460

fun time frankie wrote:
I think Scotland got such a good result because of the three players missing two bad results and three bad eggs get sent home suddenly a good result can't be a coincidence

I think a lot of people would agree with that.
Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:09 am
Posted by puroresu_boy on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:09 am
puroresu_boy Stevo's Armpit

Atmosphere at the Tonga v NZ game was unbelievable.

The game should be a real eye opener for doubters in England, Australia and even NZ. For all those who slate the international game and one could argue they have every right too, that game in Hamilton was everything good about international footy and what it could be if the game did more.

That was no lucky or fluke of as win and its results like that which should be used a springboard going forward. There is no reason why Rugby League cannot be the most popular sport in the pacific Islands. Invest money in those islands and see the talent come through.

If the game collectively tries to improve the international game you could see more games like NZ v Tonga. There are needs to be more incentives for players to play for a second tier nation instead of tier 1.

1. More games on the international Calender.
2. Appearance fees and give the players a decent pay and expenses. The game needs to find that money if need be.
3. Origin shouldn't be restricted to only those who choose to play for Australia.

I don't know how the Australian media and RL community reported and discussed the NZ v Tonga game but it really should of been a wake up call to those in the game reminding them just how good international footy could be if the game did more.
Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:38 am
Posted by roopy on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:38 am
roopy Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

For this to keep happening the pay structure for world cups must change.
As someone said after the last WC, the funds have to go into a central pool and players have to be paid according to their individual worth, rather than who they play for.
Players who have played 50 NRL or ESL games should be paid as full professionals.
Players with less than 50 NRL or ESL games should get a decent match fee.
Park players should get expenses and some spending money.
Fifita, Hayne, Uate, Mead, Farah, Moses etc are responsible for as many or more people turning their TVs on as someone like Ben Hunt on the bench for Australia, so they should be paid equally.
At the moment Australian players are getting 30k a game and Fijian players are getting 30, where both should be getting maybe 5k if they are professional players.
Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:28 am
Posted by NickyKiss on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:28 am
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 9
Rep Position: 10th / 76,460

Quiz Score: 4

Do these pig ignorant Aussie commentators do any research? They sound like total morons talking about McIlorum as though he's a young kid they've never heard of and they've just said superleague clubs will probably be eyeing up Kyle Amor, as though he's a young kid playing in a park competition in an Irish village somewhere.

If they don't get to watch superleague, they could always spend 5 mins before the game doing a google search about the players.
Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:09 am
Posted by Towns88 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:09 am
Towns88 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Why hasn't england france started yet? It's 10:10 . 10 minutes after ko
"I'm sorry, but I would hope that we would beat Cas with a 1 day turnaround."

An arrogant Wigan fan a few days before we stuffed them 18-4 at the JJB.
Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:19 am
Posted by brearley84 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:19 am
brearley84 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 18th / 76,460

Quiz Score: 8

fun time frankie wrote:

yeh will have galvanised the group too
HUDDERSFIELD
-
THE BIRTHPLACE OF RUGBY LEAGUE
PreviousNext