WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - England RLWC 2017 games switched to BBC 2?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace England RLWC 2017 games switched to BBC 2?

Posted by Lebron James on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:58 pm
Lebron James Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 8

Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:32 pm
Posts: 1132
Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
What was the attendance? I watched a little bit of the HSBC Dubai sevens last week, there looked less than 100 people at that major global sporting event.


It’s always around the 25k to 35k Mark. To be fair though, Army v Navy gets around 60-70k so maybe the bbc should show that. As another comparison the RL navy v army gets about 1.2k

Regards

King James
Posted by Little Ivor on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:15 pm
Little Ivor User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:59 pm
Posts: 934
Location: The Birth of RL, where else?
SecondRowSaint wrote:
Was it a good standard? I know for current universities they're nowhere near the best. Leeds Met and Northumbria dominate the Northern Premier League and country at BUCS level, with Loughborough and Uni of Gloucester being the best of the Southern Premier League.


Pretty decent, probably next step down from that. Unfortunately in recentyears Cambridge have struggled somewhat
The future's bright the future is claret n gold

www.ourlfc.com - SCS 1976
Posted by Call Me God on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:53 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 10th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 am
Posts: 394
Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
What was the attendance?

25,133.

Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
I watched a little bit of the HSBC Dubai sevens last week, there looked less than 100 people at that major global sporting event.

Couple of things here.
First up, why watch a sport you evidently don't like and secondly, having attended numerous HSBC 7's events around the world I can confirm that there is very little "spectating" going on, but rather a lot of Drinking on the concourses......as I am sure was the case at the aptly named SEVENS STADIUM in Dubai....
I might be wrong, but I believe that whilst it isn't a major event, it is actually a global one that sees UAE, South Africa, 'stralya, New Zealand, USA, Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, England and France all host weekends......if I a wrong and you are actually a big fan of the game (why else would you have watched it?) then I can highly recommend the Las Vegas event which is in March next year....but be quick because it regularly gets 80k crowds.
Posted by Shifty Cat on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:47 pm
Shifty Cat User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 11
Rep Position: 3rd / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 4253
Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
What was the attendance? I watched a little bit of the HSBC Dubai sevens last week, there looked less than 100 people at that major global sporting event.

It was around 25k last year, 26 in 2012. Tbh the varsity attendances have dropped considerably since their heyday in the 90's when they used to get 60k regularly watching.
Posted by Sir Kevin Sinfield on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:49 pm
Sir Kevin Sinfield Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 am
Posts: 1227
Call Me God wrote:
25,133.

Couple of things here.
First up, why watch a sport you evidently don't like and secondly, having attended numerous HSBC 7's events around the world I can confirm that there is very little "spectating" going on, but rather a lot of Drinking on the concourses......as I am sure was the case at the aptly named SEVENS STADIUM in Dubai....

I quite like watching 7’s thanks very much, when did I say otherwise?

I was just commenting that there looked less than 100 people in the crowd, just big empty stands, the kind of sight some RLfans members would wet their pants over if it was an RL event and claim it would never happen in union.

No idea what the stadiums called but there were lots of HSBC and Fly Emirates adverts, didn’t notice any others. I don’t think anyone was on the concourse either.
Posted by Sir Kevin Sinfield on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:52 pm
Sir Kevin Sinfield Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 am
Posts: 1227
Lebron James wrote:
It’s always around the 25k to 35k Mark. To be fair though, Army v Navy gets around 60-70k so maybe the bbc should show that. As another comparison the RL navy v army gets about 1.2k

Regards

King James

I wouldn’t mind watching the Army v Navy on the BBC. I don’t think the pompous in charge of sports should show their old uni’s varsity game however.
Posted by Sir Kevin Sinfield on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:41 pm
Sir Kevin Sinfield Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 am
Posts: 1227
SecondRowSaint wrote:
Was it a good standard? I know for current universities they're nowhere near the best. Leeds Met and Northumbria dominate the Northern Premier League and country at BUCS level, with Loughborough and Uni of Gloucester being the best of the Southern Premier League.

How are the university’s in the Challenge Cup selected?
Loughborough and Hull University in round one.
Posted by SecondRowSaint on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:19 pm
SecondRowSaint User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 2:39 pm
Posts: 672
Little Ivor wrote:
Pretty decent, probably next step down from that. Unfortunately in recentyears Cambridge have struggled somewhat


There's a big difference in quality for that step down imo. Oxford University aren't the better side in Oxford anymore, Brookes have been the better team recently from what I've seen.

Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
How are the university’s in the Challenge Cup selected?
Loughborough and Hull University in round one.


I've got no idea. From the few articles i've seen on it I think it's random, or the best of the rest.

Northumbia have the same coach and share some players with Newcastle Thunder so that may rule them out. However, bringing in 2nd team players wouldn't be a huge drop as they're a good team too.

I don't know enough about Leeds Met to know what would rule them out, but they're Northern Premier winners for 2017 so are probably the best team for this season.

Loughborough have won the Southern Premier so deserve their place on the basis of being the best side in the South.
Rugby is like a hard game of chess!
Posted by Call Me God on Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:41 pm
Call Me God User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 10th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 am
Posts: 394
[quote="Sir Kevin Sinfield"]I quite like watching 7’s thanks very much, when did I say otherwise?

I was just commenting that there looked less than 100 people in the crowd, just big empty stands, the kind of sight some RLfans members would wet their pants over if it was an RL event and claim it would never happen in union.

No idea what the stadiums called but there were lots of HSBC and Fly Emirates adverts, didn’t notice any others. I don’t think anyone was on the concourse eithe
Yip...you're right.....in the space of 12 months Dubai has gone from over 100k to 2 blokes and a couple of air stewardess's :CRAZY:
Having attended Las Vegas, Straylya, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Dubai last year I can confirm that the concourse areas are often more rammed than the stadiums until about the last 3 games of each day......then it's karaoke time...as I say, not spectators but they are present!

As for RL fans whining about empty seats.....League punches well above it social demographic weight crowd size wise.....60k+ in Newcastle for an event not dissimilar to a sevens tournament is perfectly acceptable!
Posted by Little Ivor on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:37 am
Little Ivor User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,383

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:59 pm
Posts: 934
Location: The Birth of RL, where else?
SecondRowSaint wrote:
There's a big difference in quality for that step down imo. Oxford University aren't the better side in Oxford anymore, Brookes have been the better team recently from what I've seen.


Lol no they're not. They've beaten oxford once in their history and last week lost 49-6 to Oxford...
The future's bright the future is claret n gold

www.ourlfc.com - SCS 1976
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BrisbaneRhino, Budgiezilla, luke ShipleyRed, Muggins, TrinityIHC, Zulu01 and 57 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace





POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,669,17775376,3834,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 1st Feb 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WARRINGTON
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Thu 1st Feb 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
HULL FC
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Fri 2nd Feb 19:30
SUPER LEAGUE
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 2nd Feb 19:45
 CHAMPIONSHIP
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
SHEFFIELD
Fri 2nd Feb 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
ST. HELENS
v
CASTLEFORD
Fri 2nd Feb 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Sat 3rd Feb 14:00
 CHAMPIONSHIP
TOULOUSE
v
SWINTON LIONS
Sun 4th Feb 15:00
 CHAMPIONSHIP
FEATHERSTONE
v
HALIFAX
Sun 4th Feb 15:00
 CHAMPIONSHIP
LONDON BRONCOS
v
BARROW RAIDERS
Sun 4th Feb 15:00
 CHAMPIONSHIP
LEIGH
v
TORONTO
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM