WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - What is the best design for a stadium?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace What is the best design for a stadium?

Re: What is the best design for a stadium?
Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:03 pm
Mike Oxlong User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Whatever makes for the best atmosphere!

Saints ground is awful for that for some reason, unless you are right in the thick of things at one end (when the ground is full, which isn't very often) then it doesn't sound like there is any atmosphere/singing etc. at all.
"I need to be myself, I can't be no-one else"
Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:37 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Looks great but, it doesnt count if there is a capacity crowd in there.
We're used to having half or quarter full grounds over here, which exposes all the faults and kills the atmosphere :D
Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:14 pm
Sadfish User avatar
ADMIN
ADMIN

Saints ground was a fight for standing at the end, never mind where I think it need to be down one side like at wire, Mal Kay wanted standing in the corners.........

I think it makes a big difference to the atmoshpere, but ultimately, if a team is not playing well the atmosphere suffers.
Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:59 pm
Sir Kevin Sinfield Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Headingley and Halliwell Jones stadium.
Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:17 pm
Trainman Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

I know it doesn't really answer the OP's question but the single biggest factor imo is location. Easy access from public transport and decent car parking within walking distance combined with a selection of pubs in the vicinity ticks all the boxes.

As for the stadium itself I just like them enclosed, whether that be rectangular with the corners filled in or an oval I don't much care.
Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:40 pm
BiltonRobin User avatar
Strong-running second rower

I do like he bowl type stadiums over rectangular. One of the best examples is the Bolton Wanderers home (what ever it's Called now)
The sweeping lines of the roof do make it pleasing on the eye.
Another aspect is ease of access from the road network, so edge of town rather than city centre.
But most inportant to me is been able to stand and watch my rugby. I may be getting on a bit now, but I don't take a tartan rug to games yet.
The world is full of Kings and Queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
Kill the King 1978
Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:18 pm
Mild mannered Janitor User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

For RL in this country, something shaped in a similar way to the Keepmoat but with one of the side stands (west side) slightly bigger. Capacity of 20k. One end fully standing, one side (west) fully seated. The opposite side to have seats at the back and a decent sized terrace paddock at the front. The other end would be a mix of seats and standing for visiting fans.

Massive car park close by, 6 pubs within a half mile radius.
Nil......Zip.....Nothing....ZERO....0
Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:41 pm
knockersbumpMKII Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

TBH I don't see what the fuss is about not being able to stand, the seat gives you a guaranteed amount of space (ok some grounds are worse than others but still), you can also get your 'spot' with a seat more often than not particularly if you're a season ticket holder.

Standing is not much cop for kids, especially so if it's packed and IMHO I still think it isn't ideal from a safety POV. Sure if they're standing at the front but then they are at such a low level it's hard for them to see everything as you're already that much further away from the action at the ends.
I loved standing BITD and when I started going on my own to the Boulevard at the age of 9 I'd stand right at the front on a bit of wall pretty much right next to the speedway gates. I went into threpenny a few times when I was older but it wasn't ideal unless you stood near the front from a viewing POV.
Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:50 pm
The Ghost of '99 User avatar

Mild mannered Janitor wrote:
For RL in this country, something shaped in a similar way to the Keepmoat but with one of the side stands (west side) slightly bigger. Capacity of 20k. One end fully standing, one side (west) fully seated. The opposite side to have seats at the back and a decent sized terrace paddock at the front. The other end would be a mix of seats and standing for visiting fans.

Massive car park close by, 6 pubs within a half mile radius.
Apart from the car park you've just described the New Headingley :D

"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."
Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:46 am
Fantastic Mr Catpiss 100% League Network
100% League Network

Conveniently obscuring the away end which isn't getting touched? ;)

"i have a phobia of Wolves"

"It was good to come over here, all the boys played really well, we completed our sets and it was a good night for us," josh Dugan said.

"To come over here and beat Warrington at Warrington is very pleasing. I think there was only about 15,000 but it felt like the Origin capacity of 50,000 so it was a great atmosphere and a great game."
PreviousNext