WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Numbers at the scrum

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Numbers at the scrum

Re: Numbers at the scrum
Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:16 am
knockersbumpMKII Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Grimmy wrote:
Wrong. They have the choice whether to have one less at the scrum or the line. Teams often have the full scrum in attack to allow the loose forward pick-up and counter the push, but a depleted scrum in defence so the back line isn't short.

What's with the aggressive response. :CRAZY:
However do show me the law that states that is so. or is it just an interpretation?
Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:27 am
Trainman Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

knockersbumpMKII wrote:
However do show me the law that states that is so. or is it just an interpretation?

I think that statement sums up one of the current issues within the game. A lot of laws are ignored or changed depending on the current interpretation. Quotes from the rule book are largely irrelevant as it's the RFL and referees interpretation that matters.
Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:24 am
Grimmy User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

knockersbumpMKII wrote:

Not sure where you have got aggression from there. I corrected your (arrogant) assumption that the officials just don't care/realise something so basic, and furthermore explained how teams tend to work with it. I've no idea whether it's a law or an interpretation, but it's been the way the game has been played at all levels at least in the 16 years I've been involved, so it's not like anything has changed, or that it's really causing any problems as far as I can tell.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:48 am
HXSparky User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

The next paragraph to the one mentioned above in the rules state...

Forward withdrawing 3. A forward may detach himself from the scrum at any time provided there are not already seven players acting as backs on his team.

...which would mean that a scrum needs to be formed with a full complement of 6 forwards, but that up to 3 of these can detach and join the backs before the ball is put-in (if there are less than 7 backs due to injuries or dismissals).

An "interpretation" of this might be for refs to ignore the need to form the scrum with all 6 players in the interests of keeping the game moving? In much the same way that the requirement to exercise the put-in correctly is ignored - The ball shall be put into the scrum from the Referee’s side by holding it in a horizontal position with a point in each hand and rolling it along the ground into the tunnel formed by the opposing front row forwards. This is still in the current rules!
Previous