WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Seven Charges and Three Warnings From Busy Review Panel

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace & RLWC2017 Seven Charges and Three Warnings From Busy Review Panel

Posted by RLFANS News Hound on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:56 pm

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2001 9:13 pm
Posts: 0

Seven Charges and Three Warnings From Busy Review Panel
It's been a busy day in the video review room at the RFL disciplinary.



Out of the weekends Super Eights and Qualifiers they've spotted seven offences which they deem worthy of a charge and another three which have brought forward cautions for the offenders.



Tuesday nights disciplinary is, however, likely to be less busy as only one of the charges brought does not have an associated Early Guilty Plea (EGP) which will mean that the offender will be called in front of the committee.

READ MORE ON THIS STORY...
RLFANS.COM news items are posted in forums where it is thought that they will be of interest to the readership, all comments made below will also be available for viewing through the front page.
Posted by rollin thunder on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:57 pm
rollin thunder Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:25 pm
Posts: 1752
so cannonball tackles are ok then.
Posted by Cokey on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:46 pm
Cokey User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:58 pm
Posts: 3229
Location: LEYTH
rollin thunder wrote:
so cannonball tackles are ok then.


Yeah, The RFL have realised Wire play Leigh this week and they don't want them disrupted,so to make it worse for Leigh,they gave Ben Reynolds a Grade B with a one match ban for tripping after a EGP. one match ban for Burrows for head butting just beggars belief. The whole disciplinary needs overhauling as well as the corrupted RFL. :twisted:
Image Image Image
Posted by Salford red all over on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:15 am
Salford red all over User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:11 pm
Posts: 2948
Location: M27 but not part of the project !!
rollin thunder wrote:
so cannonball tackles are ok then.


It would appear so as Sam Powell got a one match ban for ending Tasi's season in the semi, whilst a couple of years back Chase got seven for his tackle on Ferres.
Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything.

Mary Hemmingway, US journalist,widow of Ernest Hemmingway (1908-1986)


The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget


"I am not young enough to know everything"
Oscar Wilde Irish Playwright (1854-1900)



One likes people much better when they're battered down by a prodigious siege of misfortune than when they triumph.

virginia woolf (1882-1941)
Posted by secondstanza on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:31 am
secondstanza Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:40 am
Posts: 162
Salford red all over wrote:
It would appear so as Sam Powell got a one match ban for ending Tasi's season in the semi, whilst a couple of years back Chase got seven for his tackle on Ferres.


The same Tasi who carried on playing in that game? Either it didn't end his season or serious questions need to be asked of Salford's medical team. There is a world of difference with the way both Powell and Chase went into the tackle. Powell was facing the back of his knees when he went in and the Wigan players unfortunately turned Tasi.

Same with Isa - reckless but it was to the back of the knees and despite LMS' best acting to show the ref he was was hurt he was doing hit ups within 30 seconds and is in the squad for the Wakey game.
Posted by Salford red all over on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:08 am
Salford red all over User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:11 pm
Posts: 2948
Location: M27 but not part of the project !!
secondstanza wrote:
The same Tasi who carried on playing in that game? Either it didn't end his season or serious questions need to be asked of Salford's medical team. There is a world of difference with the way both Powell and Chase went into the tackle. Powell was facing the back of his knees when he went in and the Wigan players unfortunately turned Tasi.

Same with Isa - reckless but it was to the back of the knees and despite LMS' best acting to show the ref he was was hurt he was doing hit ups within 30 seconds and is in the squad for the Wakey game.


Powell ended Tasi's season and received a ONE match ban !
Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything.

Mary Hemmingway, US journalist,widow of Ernest Hemmingway (1908-1986)


The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget


"I am not young enough to know everything"
Oscar Wilde Irish Playwright (1854-1900)



One likes people much better when they're battered down by a prodigious siege of misfortune than when they triumph.

virginia woolf (1882-1941)
Posted by bren2k on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:28 am
bren2k User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:32 pm
Posts: 13493
Location: Ossett
secondstanza wrote:
Powell was facing the back of his knees when he went in and the Wigan players unfortunately turned Tasi.


Isn't this kind of nonsense a compelling reason to take a serious look at the way tackles have evolved? Holding the tackled player up so a third man can smash his lower body is always dangerous - in an already bruising physical sport - regardless of which way a joint is meant to go; and it's crazy to think that players can make and respond to minute adjustments in the body position of a tackled man, in the heat of the moment, to avoid undue pressure.

The way that players are now tackling is a function of trying to slow down the ptb - because a quick ptb gives a significant advantage; plenty of people on here have already given very sensible solutions to managing the whole tackle/ruck/ptb in a way that ensures that the attacker can still achieve advantage by winning collision, but is compelled to play the ball correctly, which automatically slows down the ptb and reduces the defenders need to lay all over him.

It seems bonkers to have these constant interpretations and arguments over differing sanctions for what seem like identical offences - when a harsh and consistent application of existing rules could very well resolve it in fairly short order.
Posted by DGM on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:54 am
DGM User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:49 am
Posts: 2237
bren2k wrote:
Isn't this kind of nonsense a compelling reason to take a serious look at the way tackles have evolved? Holding the tackled player up so a third man can smash his lower body is always dangerous - in an already bruising physical sport - regardless of which way a joint is meant to go; and it's crazy to think that players can make and respond to minute adjustments in the body position of a tackled man, in the heat of the moment, to avoid undue pressure.

The way that players are now tackling is a function of trying to slow down the ptb - because a quick ptb gives a significant advantage; plenty of people on here have already given very sensible solutions to managing the whole tackle/ruck/ptb in a way that ensures that the attacker can still achieve advantage by winning collision, but is compelled to play the ball correctly, which automatically slows down the ptb and reduces the defenders need to lay all over him.

It seems bonkers to have these constant interpretations and arguments over differing sanctions for what seem like identical offences - when a harsh and consistent application of existing rules could very well resolve it in fairly short order.


This is the bit I find odd too.

Surely by now we've seen every type of foul play committed, and can therefore quantify it into a comprehensive list of punishable acts based on their relative severity, with a ban and/or a fine attached to each.

E.g.
Cannonball Tackle Type 1 = x games.
Cannonball Tackle Type 2 = x games.
Crusher Tackle Type 1 = x games.
And so on.

Get rid of the EPG, "good records", sentimentality etc. I'd also take out any discussion of whether or not an injury was inflicted, this should act as a deterrent whether an injury occurs or not.

Then, the only thing the panel needs to decide is if there's any further action required and if so which category the act falls into. Bans & fines will all be known to clubs & players beforehand.

It would also make the process a lot more transparent if precedents or comparisons were offered as part of the decision. E.g. "Burrow's headbutt was a Type 1 Headbutt, therefore a 1 game ban applies. We deemed the headbutt similar to the case of x player in Apr17, who also received a 1 game ban".
Cup Winners: 1914, 1982, 2005, 2016, 2017.
Cup Runners-Up: 1908, 1909, 1910, 1922, 1923, 1959, 1960, 1980, 1983, 1985, 2008, 2013.
League Champions: 1920, 1921, 1936, 1956, 1958, 1983.
League Runners-Up: 1957, 1982, 1984, 2006.
Posted by Roy Haggerty on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:10 pm
Roy Haggerty User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 5329
Location: London
secondstanza wrote:
The same Tasi who carried on playing in that game? Either it didn't end his season or serious questions need to be asked of Salford's medical team. There is a world of difference with the way both Powell and Chase went into the tackle. Powell was facing the back of his knees when he went in and the Wigan players unfortunately turned Tasi.

Same with Isa - reckless but it was to the back of the knees and despite LMS' best acting to show the ref he was was hurt he was doing hit ups within 30 seconds and is in the squad for the Wakey game.


Whether an offence is committed has nothing whatsoever to do with whether the fouled player stays down, gets up, or dances the tango around the touchline.
Image

"...the biggest boor, the most opinionated pompous bigot that frequents these
boards and he is NOT to be taken at all seriously. "
Posted by secondstanza on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:54 am
secondstanza Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:40 am
Posts: 162
Roy Haggerty wrote:
Whether an offence is committed has nothing whatsoever to do with whether the fouled player stays down, gets up, or dances the tango around the touchline.


No but it has an effect on saying a player "ended another players season". My point you have quoted there is that to say a tackle ended a players season but then continued to play for the mojirty of the game doesn't match up. Either way you have to choose, did Sam Powell end his season and the Salford medical team played him when they shouldn't have or was Tasi's season not ended by that tackle?

The offense was punished - a reckless tackle and received a one game ban.
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CM Punk, ComeOnYouUll, Darwinsdad, Durham Giant, Hessle Roader, Hopie, Kevs Head, reds89 and 87 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace & RLWC2017





POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,663,7571,04776,3494,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Fri 24th Nov 09:00
World Cup: Semi Final
AUSTRALIA
v
FIJI
Sat 25th Nov 05:00
World Cup: Semi Final
ENGLAND
v
TONGA
Thu 1st Feb 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WARRINGTON
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Thu 1st Feb 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
HULL FC
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Fri 2nd Feb 19:30
SUPER LEAGUE
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 2nd Feb 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
ST. HELENS
v
CASTLEFORD
Fri 2nd Feb 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Sun 4th Feb 15:00
SUPER LEAGUE
WIDNES VIKINGS
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Thu 8th Feb 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
LEEDS RHINOS
v
HULL KR
Fri 9th Feb 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WAKEFIELD
v
SALFORD
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM