FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Time to ban the refs try or no try onfield decision
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 12 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Feb 21 21:5628th Jul 19 00:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas.
Signature
"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection."

23/08/2014

Said n the match thread that the VR's seem to be avoiding camera angles or repeated views that could overturn the on-field ref. They were so many bodies in the mix for the offside/kick/Powell try that he surely should've looked at it a few times to make sure he checked everyone. Likewise another look/angle at the potential knock on should've happened.

Last week Hardaker's no try double movement we didn't see the best angle of it until after the decision was made and that's happened a few times this year.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1162No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 14 200320 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Apr 18 09:5829th Apr 17 10:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Ferocious Aardvark wrote:
I really don't see what is wrong with the primacy of the ref on the field. If no VR, he'd HAVE to make a call, in every case, and so we are being told what the decision would be, if no VR present. Then, the theory at least says, if there is conclusive evidence it's the wrong call, it will be overturned, but not otherwise. To me, (if the VR could be relied on to not do crazy things) that strikes the correct balance.

This
RankPostsTeam
International Star505No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 12 201113 years280th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Feb 24 11:2126th Jul 23 13:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

RedUnderTheBed wrote:
So if there is no conclusive video evidence how does the VR make a decision? Without the VR we have to accept that sometimes a try/no try decision will be made by the on field ref with help from touch judges when it may be none of them had a clear sight of the grounding or a potential infringement. That's just how it goes and the rules allow for that. So why should it be different if the on field ref asks gif VR advice as opposed to touch judge advice?

Someone with half a dozen different angles, super zoom and slow motion is in an infinitely better position to make the most accurate call, and that's what we should always be targeting. Look at Denny Solomona's disallowed try last night - if you can find me a single bit of footage that shows he didn't score then fair enough, but I certainly didn't see it and surely if you can't prove that he didn't score (and especially in cases where the difference is millimetres) then the benefit of doubt should - as it always has - go to the attacking team. Instead because the touch judge and Thaler, with the naked eye and in real time, determine that he didn't ground it the VR is left with no option other than to guess that they're right. You think that system is better?

In the past few Leeds games we've had a Hardaker try disallowed because the VR has guessed that it was a double movement and a try against us allowed because the VR has guessed that JJB jumped into an attacking player rather than being obstructed - in both cases if the call had gone up the opposite way I have absolutely no doubt that the opposite call would have been upheld. Supporting the referee come what may is not a solution. The on field ref sometimes has to guess, that's the nature of real time play and a clear indicator that they have is the request for a video referral. The video ref has the luxury of taking their time and can base their decisions on experience, multiple sources of evidence and the balance of probabilities - to place the referee's initial split second guess work above those factors is insane.

Send it upstairs, and if the VR wants the on field ref's opinion they can always ask for it, but the closest thing to the right decision is surely what we all want - we didn't get that last night.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach6292
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 24 200717 years201st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Apr 24 05:1528th Feb 24 12:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
EVENTUALLY, WE'LL WIN SOMETHING, ,MAYBE, IF I'M STILL ALIVE THEN

The problem with the previous method was that they were being referred upstairs with no guidance, and "benefit of doubt" decisions were being made when the ref probably wouldn't have given it on the field.

The old Aussie system is better. Go to the video ref. If he can't tell, refer back to the onfield ref at that point. Ref's call. The onfield ref and TJ's will have had a view and opinion, and it's hard to criticise that when there is no evidence to contradict it.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1426No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 27 201311 years314th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Nov 22 21:4021st Sep 22 16:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Last night there were two tries that would have been given if the question was put differently. The Solomona no try cannot have been far away and the Sutton no try left me scratching my head. On the other hand the clear Luke Dorn(?) knock on was almost made into a try by poor camera angles. I still like Unions "Is there any reason that I cannot award a try"? as it is a clear statement that allows the video ref to get involved.
Having said all that I am still amazed at how often the ref gets these split second decisions right when a couple of hundred thousand armchair fans will be screaming the opposite at their TVs.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator39352
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years13th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 13:5418th Apr 24 12:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

poor floodlighting didn't help a few decisions last night, could barely see the lines in some places.
EHW 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach8627
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 02 200320 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Feb 20 16:104th Feb 20 13:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Forever in Rented Accomodation

why do they not just talk to each other, rahter than trying to make the decision in isolation - in the same way that THlar was trying to guide Alibert in France.

Rather than the split second decision by the on field ref taking primacy, they have a sensible conversation about what to look at, then review it together in real time - with the on field ref watching on the screen.
bren2k 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th May 20 12:495th May 20 08:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Let Barrie McDermott decide - he likes to award the try based on effort and desire; seems reasonable.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2833No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 200915 years300th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 22 08:4321st Apr 22 22:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The problem inherently wrong with the system is that it doesn't take account of multiple factors.
For example, in a game recently a referee gave a "no try" decision based on a player putting his foot on the touchline before grounding the ball. The video reply clearly showed this was not the case, however there was some doubt that the ball wasn't grounded properly. The video referee (rightly according to the guidelines) stuck with the "no try" decision based on this, but this was not the reason the on-field referee gave the initial "no try" decision (indeed, as he didn't ask to check the grounding it is reasonable to assume the referee would have given a try).
Also take the Solomona "no try" in the Cas v Wigan game. The referee gave a "no try" decision based on a double-movement. Even though there was no double-movement, the VR stuck with "no try" as there wasn't a clear shot of the ball touching the line. However, this wasn't what the on-field referee asked the VR to look for, so again it can be assumed he was happy that the ball touched the line and if he hadn't suspected a double-movement, the try would have been given.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2833No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 200915 years300th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 22 08:4321st Apr 22 22:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

The other issue, of course, it the quality of the VRs. Whilst ever we have blatant errors (tracking the wrong player, not looking at the correct incident etc) then the principle is flawed.
I'd remove it completely. However, the key would be to also remove the big screen from the ground so that referees don't get immediately berated if they make a questionable decision.
For me, the VR has sanitized the sport and taken away a key element of the game. When my team score and the VR is in operation, it's hard to celebrate a try at the point of scoring as I know it's likely to be two or three minutes before the decision is made. Likewise, when the opposition scores, I'm hoping the VR can get us off by finding a technicality and disallowing the try.
I much prefer the decision to be made immediately by the officials on the field and I can accept they might make genuine mistakes. But it's embarrassing when the bloke with all the camera angles available does the same.
Last edited by nottinghamtiger on Sat May 28, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext