FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Sky season preview ?
RankPostsTeam
International Star1440No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 16 201410 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Aug 16 12:0926th Aug 16 17:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sky season preview ? : Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:35 am  
Sky have put all their channel budget into Formula 1 and all their profits into Premier League football clubs.

What we're left with is a bit of darts, fishing, netball, the bore fest of gridiron (I'd rather do the ironing!), the odd bit of rugby league because they probably feel they had to even if they don't want to, Scottish and Dutch football, then Premier League football and a huge souped up Formula 1 channel.

Sky Sports News spend 75% of their time talking about football, then fill in other sports where they feel like it. (talkSPORT are even worse for that, they spend about 95% of their time talking about football).

They've ditched/lost the NRL, the NBA, the Champions League, they're losing rugby union by the year...but most of all I wish they'd lose us too.

I want is taken up by another channel who'd be serious about properly promoting our game again. Sky did do a good job for us for a while but they've ditched us for Formula 1 and we won't be getting that airtime back. We're now on a par with field hockey!
RankPostsTeam
International Star2862
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 17 200914 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Dec 17 14:1413th Dec 17 08:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
JOHN THE REDBOY I have been a rovers fan all my life and my grandkids are as well

Re: Sky season preview ? : Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:55 am  
BuckleyStreetWire wrote:
Sky have put all their channel budget into Formula 1 and all their profits into Premier League football clubs.

What we're left with is a bit of darts, fishing, netball, the bore fest of gridiron (I'd rather do the ironing!), the odd bit of rugby league because they probably feel they had to even if they don't want to, Scottish and Dutch football, then Premier League football and a huge souped up Formula 1 channel.

Sky Sports News spend 75% of their time talking about football, then fill in other sports where they feel like it. (talkSPORT are even worse for that, they spend about 95% of their time talking about football).

They've ditched/lost the NRL, the NBA, the Champions League, they're losing rugby union by the year...but most of all I wish they'd lose us too.

I want is taken up by another channel who'd be serious about properly promoting our game again. Sky did do a good job for us for a while but they've ditched us for Formula 1 and we won't be getting that airtime back. We're now on a par with field hockey!

who the hell is their that would do a good job for us not the BBC they can not afford it and the other channels dont care leave has it is and hope it sorts it self out
RankPostsTeam
International Star3648
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 05 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Aug 18 10:302nd Apr 18 10:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Deus Dat Incrementum

Re: Sky season preview ? : Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:49 pm  
headhunter wrote:
FYI, RL was the only sport covered by Sky that didn't have a "Your home of.." marketing campaign when they were running them in 2014 and last year. They had "Your home of netball", "Your home of women's golf", "Your home of rugby union" (despite the fact that the only RU rights they hold are for obscure European club matches) but no mention of RL, the sport that they have broadcast consistently for over 20 years.

Incorrect.

Ref the 'quality of viewer' argument, why do you assume that the marketing departments of 'prestige' brands are willing to pay more?
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 17 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Mar 19 17:313rd Mar 19 17:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
King Street Cat wrote:
Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.

Re: Sky season preview ? : Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:05 pm  
Ganson's Optician wrote:
Incorrect.
What exactly is incorrect?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3479
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 16 200419 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 19 23:217th Mar 19 16:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Gotcha in 2016 wrote:
McDermott is going. I actually think he is more relaxed because of it, and seems to have let the shackles go. He apparently asked to finish the season, and that is what they agreed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Sky season preview ? : Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:45 pm  
BuckleyStreetWire wrote:

Oh look, an RL fan with a huge, paranoid chip on his shoulder.

Get a grip for christ's sake. Sky just paid a record amount for rights to show RL and are now showing more live games than ever before.

We've lost Boots N All but no one really cares if they're honest, do they? I know I dnn't.
JonB95 
RankPostsTeam
International Star1885No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 30 201113 years313th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Apr 24 20:5230th Mar 24 11:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sky season preview ? : Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:10 pm  
loiner81 wrote:
Oh look, an RL fan with a huge, paranoid chip on his shoulder.

Get a grip for christ's sake. Sky just paid a record amount for rights to show RL and are now showing more live games than ever before.

We've lost Boots N All but no one really cares if they're honest, do they? I know I dnn't.

It's not about having a chip on the shoulder. Boots N All was our sports only magazine show. Rugby union have one on Sky Sports despite the fact that they don't even own rights to their domestic league anymore. The highlights show has been reduced to a bargain basement production and no full games are repeated anymore. Do you realise what a pathetic amount of our sport this leaves on the Sky schedules? This despite the viewing figures for Super League games dwarfing those of other sports shown on their channel (including RU). That should have been rewarded with an increase in coverage, it instead has had the opposite effect - I really, really think people should be a little more worried about that than they appear to be.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3479
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 16 200419 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Gotcha in 2016 wrote:
McDermott is going. I actually think he is more relaxed because of it, and seems to have let the shackles go. He apparently asked to finish the season, and that is what they agreed.

Re: Sky season preview ? : Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:49 pm  
JonB95 wrote:
It's not about having a chip on the shoulder. Boots N All was our sports only magazine show. Rugby union have one on Sky Sports despite the fact that they don't even own rights to their domestic league anymore. The highlights show has been reduced to a bargain basement production and no full games are repeated anymore. Do you realise what a pathetic amount of our sport this leaves on the Sky schedules? This despite the viewing figures for Super League games dwarfing those of other sports shown on their channel (including RU). That should have been rewarded with an increase in coverage, it instead has had the opposite effect - I really, really think people should be a little more worried about that than they appear to be.

What were the viewing figures for Boots N All versus other sports magazine shows?

Boots N All was total crap and i'm glad it's gone.

If it means Sky will show more live games (which they are doing) then i'm very happy with that. I very, very rarely watched Boots N All, I pretty much always watch live games when i'm not at one.

Live sport is where it's at, if you want pointless, mind numbing chatter to replace your Boots N All then go follow Rod Studd on Twitter.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3479
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 16 200419 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Gotcha in 2016 wrote:

Re: Sky season preview ? : Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:53 pm  
JonB95 wrote:
The highlights show has been reduced to a bargain basement production and no full games are repeated anymore.

There's really no need for repeats in 2016 with Sky+ and Tivo available to all Sky Sports subscribers.

How many repeats are there of other sports games, have any of those been affected?
JonB95 
RankPostsTeam
International Star1885No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 30 201113 years313th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Apr 24 20:5230th Mar 24 11:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Sky season preview ? : Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:20 pm  
loiner81 wrote:
What were the viewing figures for Boots N All versus other sports magazine shows?

Boots N All was total crap and i'm glad it's gone.

If it means Sky will show more live games (which they are doing) then i'm very happy with that. I very, very rarely watched Boots N All, I pretty much always watch live games when i'm not at one.

Live sport is where it's at, if you want pointless, mind numbing chatter to replace your Boots N All then go follow Rod Studd on Twitter.

It was total crap for the last few years, sure, but that was probably done on purpose so that Sky could phase it out without anyone really caring or noticing. I really don't think there is anything to celebrate about less and less of our sport being on our flagship broadcaster. Other sports get more than just the live action coverage, I see no reason why we are being treated differently. Lest we forget that Sky have the rights to show a Championship game live every week but refuse (despite being happy to show RU Championship games that draw pitiful viewing figures). They also dropped their coverage of the NRL, Varsity game and all internationals (this is just from the top of my head). Seriously, how sparse does the coverage have to become before it concerns you?
RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 22 201212 years310th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 23 09:2610th Jul 21 23:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!

Re: Sky season preview ? : Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:30 pm  
I would have liked to have seen a programme going down the route of SKY's Fantasy Football Club, having some legend ex pro's on telling tales and some special guest segments. Get the legends' 1 to 13 's from players they played with back in the day obviously mixed in with highlights from the previous weekends games and previews of upcoming events. Boots n' All had just run its course but i see no reason why we couldn't have a new show going in a new direction without the usual Eddie, Stevo etc.. too of course.
PreviousNext