FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Bring back Exiles?
Hopie 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member5441
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years222nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 22:1823rd Mar 24 06:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
“You are playing a game of football this afternoon but more than that you are playing for England, and more even than that, you are playing for right versus wrong. You will win because you have to win. Don’t forget that message from home. England expects every one of you to do his duty.”

Re: Bring back Exiles? : Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:38 pm  
The only teams that draw are England, Australia and New Zealand. By draw I don't mean fill a club stadium, I mean get 40, 50, 60k or more. That is what we need to build, get a profile outside the core audience. We need to play these fixtures regularly and keep people coming back. If the season ends with an international competition in this country then we play a three match series against Aus or NZ mid season, if we end overseas then we invite one of them here mid season. We have to play tier one internationals in this country every year. Our long losing streak isn't helped by only playing big international series than once a year either.

It would be nice if Wales and France were up to scratch but they are not. 2008 world cup, wales failed to qualify for the world cup and France finished last. 2013 Wales no wins and france just one. Both failed to qualify for the four nations next year. The lack of junior player base and development paths isn't going to be helped by getting murdered in half empty tiny stadiums once a year.

If things are put in place at the grass roots where they can build then good for them, but that's going to take a generation or more for them to get to a good place. England need to kick on NOW. There is no point playing made up teams either, a roses game/origin is of interest to me and might help with England selection but it's no substitute for real internationals.
RankPostsTeam
International Star387No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 29 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Nov 16 22:2513th Nov 16 22:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Bring back Exiles? : Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:30 pm  
For goodness' sake, they answer isn't 'do we play X or do we play Y' - it's how many can we play?

The Aussies & NZ aren't going to come over mid-season, only at the end of the year. So let's put that in the diary - every year a series of autumn internationals against either the kiwis or the aussies or the pacific island nations. That still give us a whole season to work with.

Yes to a Yorkshire v Lancashire match, playing on our history and putting players in the shop window for England.

Yes to playing 'Exiles'/'Barbrarians' as a one-off match which is acknowledged as being a strength test for England.

Yes to a mid-season home nations competition, where England players aren't playing for their clubs. It'll make SL more competitive (Wigan without Tomkins, Williams, Smith, Farrell & O'Loughlin for instance) and give a competition that people actually pay attention to. Yes, England might get a blowout against Ireland or Scotland but with no NRL players (Burgesses S, G, T & J; Widdop, Graham, Hodgson and Whitehead) Wales and France should be reasonably competitive.

RL Fans need to take the 'quick fix' glasses off - there is no instant solution. We need to create a competition, publicise it, play games in the sort of grounds that sugest we expect people to care and have the patience for it to develop.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain829No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 09 20158 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th May 16 14:5126th May 16 09:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The Earth is not a Globe. Trust Your God Given Senses.If the Sun is 93.000.000 miles away, why do i see clouds behind the Sun.?. Occam's Razor = it Isn't 93.000.000 miles away.
Biggest Lie Ever Told Documentary Flat Earth Intro Flat Earth Clues. The Bible And The Flat Earth. Curvature Pilots POV 1 Pilots POV 2 Pilots POV 3 Bedford Level Winter Hill 200 Proofs NWO And Prophecy Bullshit ISS By Physics Engineer Darren Nesbit New Horizons. Sunsets Explained More Sunset Proof Sunset Timezones More Proofs 317.000 feet Up No Curvature Dome/Firmament

Re: Bring back Exiles? : Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:37 pm  
Here's an idea i've had for ages, to get all Rugby league communities involved. I like the concept of the War of the Roses clashes however its never worked whether its due to the Boundaries being altered i don't know but to get everybody involved here goes.

I propose Cumbria, Humberside, Yorkshire, Lancashire. Round Robin Top 2 play off in a final. Play all fixtures as a double header. ALL Rugby League folk are proud of where they're from, hence this format and it gives exposure to Cumbria for once. I can remember getting hammered in Cumbria at youth level i'm sure they could scratch a decent team. With most clubs full time i'm sure we could fit this concept into our fixture calender and it would draw more crowds than scotland, ireland wales etc. This concept gives around 80 odd players exposure and pride for there origin. To make this concept work you can only play for England by playing in this structure. Obviously NRL players are exempt from this rule.

Do humbersiders like playing for Yorkshhire ?. Do Cumbrians like playing for Lancashire, Yorkshire i doubt it. This concept gives all Rugby League communities a platform to build from.

Examples

Round 1. Cumbria v Yorkshire, - Humberside v Lancashire Either KC or Craven park

Round 2. Cumbria v Humberside, Lancashire v Yorkshire - Carlisle Fc.

Round 3. Humberside v Yorkshire Lancashire v Cumbria - Wigan, Or St Helens

Final Headingley

This is just a rough example, if anyone can think of tweaking it any other way thats great.
RankPostsTeam
International Star387No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 29 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Nov 16 22:2513th Nov 16 22:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Bring back Exiles? : Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:55 pm  
Hull is in Yorkshire.
Hopie 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member5441
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years222nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 22:1823rd Mar 24 06:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
“You are playing a game of football this afternoon but more than that you are playing for England, and more even than that, you are playing for right versus wrong. You will win because you have to win. Don’t forget that message from home. England expects every one of you to do his duty.”

Re: Bring back Exiles? : Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:24 pm  
Worlds Apart wrote:
...The Aussies & NZ aren't going to come over mid-season...

We need them to do so, let's do all we can to change that. We struggled to get teams over for the WCC last year but this year once we showed it would work more teams signed up. Surely the NZRL wouldn't turn down the money available from such a series, and with the history behind the ashes there must be a gap made in the calendar for their return.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 03 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Dec 20 08:087th Nov 20 13:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Bring back Exiles? : Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:23 am  
FLAT STANLEY wrote:
Here's an idea i've had for ages, to get all Rugby league communities involved. I like the concept of the War of the Roses clashes however its never worked whether its due to the Boundaries being altered i don't know but to get everybody involved here goes.

I propose Cumbria, Humberside, Yorkshire, Lancashire. Round Robin Top 2 play off in a final. Play all fixtures as a double header. ALL Rugby League folk are proud of where they're from, hence this format and it gives exposure to Cumbria for once. I can remember getting hammered in Cumbria at youth level i'm sure they could scratch a decent team. With most clubs full time i'm sure we could fit this concept into our fixture calender and it would draw more crowds than scotland, ireland wales etc. This concept gives around 80 odd players exposure and pride for there origin. To make this concept work you can only play for England by playing in this structure. Obviously NRL players are exempt from this rule.

Do humbersiders like playing for Yorkshhire ?. Do Cumbrians like playing for Lancashire, Yorkshire i doubt it. This concept gives all Rugby League communities a platform to build from.

Examples

Round 1. Cumbria v Yorkshire, - Humberside v Lancashire Either KC or Craven park

Round 2. Cumbria v Humberside, Lancashire v Yorkshire - Carlisle Fc.

Round 3. Humberside v Yorkshire Lancashire v Cumbria - Wigan, Or St Helens

Final Headingley

This is just a rough example, if anyone can think of tweaking it any other way thats great.

The fact that you've chosen smallish grounds, ignored the south and put Humberside (a county that has been defunct for nearly 20 years) in addition to Yorkshire (a region that includes most of Humberside) means you haven't really thought this through much.
HKRSid 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner570
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 10 200221 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Feb 24 10:5630th Nov 18 21:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Bring back Exiles? : Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:00 pm  
Has RL ever had a "Possibles v Probables" game/series?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17882
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years48th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 15:5726th Apr 24 13:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Bring back Exiles? : Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:41 pm  
HKRSid wrote:

This is a great idea n terms of getting players ready for stern competition but, I don't know if it could be marketed strongly enough to sell 30/40,000 tickets.

The closest thing that we have as a concept is, either the Exiles or War of the Roses.

The second tier nations (Ireland, Scotland, Wales and France) are just too far away from being competitive and it appears that this I likely to be the case for many years to come.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2862
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 17 200914 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Dec 17 14:1413th Dec 17 08:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
JOHN THE REDBOY I have been a rovers fan all my life and my grandkids are as well

Re: Bring back Exiles? : Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:13 pm  
wrencat1873 wrote:
This is a great idea n terms of getting players ready for stern competition but, I don't know if it could be marketed strongly enough to sell 30/40,000 tickets.

The closest thing that we have as a concept is, either the Exiles or War of the Roses.

The second tier nations (Ireland, Scotland, Wales and France) are just too far away from being competitive and it appears that this I likely to be the case for many years to come.

But did the state of origin get many bums on seats when it first started we have to start some were we can not wait for the rest to catch up can we
Him 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Nov 21 22:467th Nov 21 09:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Bring back Exiles? : Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:04 pm  
HKRSid wrote:

I don't think so, and I hope it never does.
Previous