FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Is RL underselling itself?
Him 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Nov 21 22:467th Nov 21 09:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Is RL underselling itself? : Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:58 pm  
I agree to a point in that we keep slagging ourselves off and nothing seems to make an RL fan happy.

But I think the issue of expansion is a genuine one. Unfortunately pro RL is terribly located in the country. We only have pro RL in 2 major cities and no presence north or south of the M62. Add in that RL clubs are generally not in areas of wealth and often in relatively small places then we have a big issue in trying to attract people and money to the sport.

Unfortunately for RL, the decision makers in this country live and grew up down south. They have no experience of being in an area where watching RL is even a possibility never mind an enticing option. These people are then running the media that largely ignores us and the companies that choose to invest in other sports.

We desperately need "other" areas involved in top RL. To hopefully appeal to a slightly richer market and to widen the base of people exposed and aware of RL.

If we don't do that then all I can see is stagnation as we continue to appeal to the same, relatively poor market that has a myriad of other potential leisure pursuits shoved down their throats by the advertisers, marketers and southern based, southern biased media.
Dally 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Oct 21 15:0122nd Jul 21 09:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Is RL underselling itself? : Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:00 pm  
The game does sell itself short. I can think of no other sport that would charge £10 for entry to a major event at a major venue. For a sport that considers itself a major spectator sport, or at least did until a few teats ago, it's odd.
Dally 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Oct 21 15:0122nd Jul 21 09:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Is RL underselling itself? : Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:03 pm  
Him wrote:
I agree to a point in that we keep slagging ourselves off and nothing seems to make an RL fan happy.

But I think the issue of expansion is a genuine one. Unfortunately pro RL is terribly located in the country. We only have pro RL in 2 major cities and no presence north or south of the M62. Add in that RL clubs are generally not in areas of wealth and often in relatively small places then we have a big issue in trying to attract people and money to the sport.

Unfortunately for RL, the decision makers in this country live and grew up down south. They have no experience of being in an area where watching RL is even a possibility never mind an enticing option. These people are then running the media that largely ignores us and the companies that choose to invest in other sports.

We desperately need "other" areas involved in top RL. To hopefully appeal to a slightly richer market and to widen the base of people exposed and aware of RL.

If we don't do that then all I can see is stagnation as we continue to appeal to the same, relatively poor market that has a myriad of other potential leisure pursuits shoved down their throats by the advertisers, marketers and southern based, southern biased media.

I am not sure there is a Southern bias in the media. MUFC get more than their fair share of exposure in the "southern" press even though they are a northern team and have not been especially competitive at the top level of late.
Him 
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Is RL underselling itself? : Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:04 pm  
Dally wrote:
I am not sure there is a Southern bias in the media. MUFC get more than their fair share of exposure in the "southern" press even though they are a northern team and have not been especially competitive at the top level of late.

The media can't ignore football because it's so immensely popular. Of course they're going to report on one of, if not the, biggest sports club in the world.

The point about bias is to do with other sports and of course non-sports issues. Every major media outlet in this country is based in London. Their management and editorial staff are almost entirely southern bred, often from public schools and Oxbridge. Hence, lower attended sporting events getting more publicity/column inches than a higher attended RL game.
Its not an active bias, in that they look at 2 events/stories and think "well that ones up North so we'll run the other one" it's that they report what they themselves find more important in their lives. So RL (& other northern issues) go un/under-reported because those issues aren't relevant to the Southern media.

The best and most obvious example of this was the floods in Hull a few years back. Went unreported by all the national media for days.

It's not quite as simple as a North/South issue, as I said it's really a problem with the fact that the media is based in one place and recruits very similar people, especially at editorial and managerial level, who generally have a certain type of life experience. So other areas like the South West miss out too.

Unfortunately we can't change this type of bias, especially as national media is only ever looking to be more concentrated around the south and the wealthy, so we have to change the national footprint of our sport.
I'm not advocating dropping clubs into new areas, we don't have the money to make that work, but I would advocate financial and professional support for clubs in what I would call creeping expansion areas. The likes of Sheffield, Newcastle and Salford for instance.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 29 20149 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Oct 15 11:438th Oct 15 09:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Is RL underselling itself? : Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:35 pm  
Him wrote:
The media can't ignore football because it's so immensely popular. Of course they're going to report on one of, if not the, biggest sports club in the world.

The point about bias is to do with other sports and of course non-sports issues. Every major media outlet in this country is based in London. Their management and editorial staff are almost entirely southern bred, often from public schools and Oxbridge. Hence, lower attended sporting events getting more publicity/column inches than a higher attended RL game.
Its not an active bias, in that they look at 2 events/stories and think "well that ones up North so we'll run the other one" it's that they report what they themselves find more important in their lives. So RL (& other northern issues) go un/under-reported because those issues aren't relevant to the Southern media.

The best and most obvious example of this was the floods in Hull a few years back. Went unreported by all the national media for days.

It's not quite as simple as a North/South issue, as I said it's really a problem with the fact that the media is based in one place and recruits very similar people, especially at editorial and managerial level, who generally have a certain type of life experience. So other areas like the South West miss out too.

Unfortunately we can't change this type of bias, especially as national media is only ever looking to be more concentrated around the south and the wealthy, so we have to change the national footprint of our sport.
I'm not advocating dropping clubs into new areas, we don't have the money to make that work, but I would advocate financial and professional support for clubs in what I would call creeping expansion areas. The likes of Sheffield, Newcastle and Salford for instance.

None of your paranoid drivel has anything to do with why RL fans don't want to pay much for their tickets which is what this thread is ultimately about. And if its own fans don't care enough about RL to spend alot to pack out huge stadiums, why should the media care? Being such an expert on the media i'm sure, as always, you'll know the answer.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3479
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 16 200419 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 19 23:217th Mar 19 16:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Gotcha in 2016 wrote:
McDermott is going. I actually think he is more relaxed because of it, and seems to have let the shackles go. He apparently asked to finish the season, and that is what they agreed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Is RL underselling itself? : Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:47 pm  
Jim Pooley aka Gutterfax wrote:
None of your paranoid drivel has anything to do with why RL fans don't want to pay much for their tickets which is what this thread is ultimately about. And if its own fans don't care enough about RL to spend alot to pack out huge stadiums, why should the media care? Being such an expert on the media i'm sure, as always, you'll know the answer.

What an aggressive post. Not had your morning coffee yet?
Him 
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Is RL underselling itself? : Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:04 pm  
loiner81 wrote:
What an aggressive post. Not had your morning coffee yet?

Fortunately I have him on my block list so I don't have to read his stupid posts anymore. He's incapable of debating a point like a normal human being.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain71No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 27 20159 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Aug 15 15:0613th Aug 15 03:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WANTED IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUSPICIOUS DEATH OF A RUGBY LEAGUE CLUB

Re: Is RL underselling itself? : Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:21 pm  
Him wrote:

I agree with most of what you say, but what's the solution?

Take 10% or 20% of the sky cash back away from the clubs and spend it promoting the game across the country.....this will give you a few million to spend and the media will be after this coin...leverage more exposure through it.

ALAS....... The result of this strategy? A dozen or so RL club chairmen whining and moaning and the RFL backing down.

This is the problem with RL! The clubs run the sport as a professional entity and no amount of conspiracy theories as to why RL isn't front page news will change that. Other sports have a strong governing body that lays down the law, places it's internationals at the top/pinnacle of their sports and ensures that development/exposure/media coverage is all choreographed centrally.

The 888 system and binning of licencing was as a direct result of some club chairmen believing that the extra million pounds their club would get for SL will turn their clubs into Leeds. It's short sighted and short termism at it's best.

I'd also start to play hardball with the TV companies. The BBC must be made to show the SL show at a reasonable time nationally of lose it and SKY need to reinvigorate the coverage they give the game. We've fallen behind darts on SKY now.....it's time for a change.
Him 
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Is RL underselling itself? : Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:12 pm  
Molly Malone wrote:
I agree with most of what you say, but what's the solution?

Take 10% or 20% of the sky cash back away from the clubs and spend it promoting the game across the country.....this will give you a few million to spend and the media will be after this coin...leverage more exposure through it.

ALAS....... The result of this strategy? A dozen or so RL club chairmen whining and moaning and the RFL backing down.

This is the problem with RL! The clubs run the sport as a professional entity and no amount of conspiracy theories as to why RL isn't front page news will change that. Other sports have a strong governing body that lays down the law, places it's internationals at the top/pinnacle of their sports and ensures that development/exposure/media coverage is all choreographed centrally.

The 888 system and binning of licencing was as a direct result of some club chairmen believing that the extra million pounds their club would get for SL will turn their clubs into Leeds. It's short sighted and short termism at it's best.

I'd also start to play hardball with the TV companies. The BBC must be made to show the SL show at a reasonable time nationally of lose it and SKY need to reinvigorate the coverage they give the game. We've fallen behind darts on SKY now.....it's time for a change.

Agree the strategy is difficult to come up with, mainly because there's little money to go around anyway.

But I'd start by having the RFL retain more of the TV money than they currently do and use it to run a proper marketing department that does more than just send out emails to current RL fans about events, especially the internationals.

Unfortunately RL is caught between a rock and a hard place. We only have limited money so need plenty of domestic games to bring money in for the sport and the clubs. But RL is such a physically demanding sport we're pretty much on the limit for how many games we can ask our top players to play.

So I'd start by at the start of each season, a 40-man preliminary England squad be named. These 40 players then can't play more than 25 SL games (excluding the playoffs & Cup final).
Then we'd have an annual France vs England 3-match series played in France. Plus a 3-match Yorkshire v Lancashire series mid-season.
Plus whatever internationals we'd have at the end of season.

This depends largely upon having a set international calendar (& the Fr v Eng & Yorks v Lancs series marketed well in advance each year) so everyone knows when and where they're happening. I'd prefer an international calendar something along the lines of:
Year 1 - Test Series (2 of England, Australia & New Zealand, the 3rd playing a mini tour against France, Wales or PNG, Fiji etc)
Year 2 - 4/5 Nations (The big 3 plus 1 or 2 others)
Year 3 - Test Series
Year 4 - World Cup

But it has to be set, so we all know what's happening.

That's the stuff on the pitch, off it, something like you suggested of TV money being spent to promote the game. I don't think we can do it across the country unfortunately, we'd need to target it and use it in conjunction with the clubs in certain areas. For instance in Newcastle, the RFL would spend money to help get people to watch Newcastle. This will no doubt infuriate heartland clubs but it's just tough I'm afraid, we need new areas of the country. Also spend money to help ensure Newcastle is run relatively well and obviously to take advantage of events like the Magic Weekend.
Unless we help these "new" areas then they'll either likely fold or stagnate in the lower leagues.

I'd also hold back some of the TV money to ensure the RFL itself is run professionally, and as you rightly point out, to ensure that it runs the sport not the clubs. The clubs are entitled to have a say and an influence on things but not the entire running of the sport, which is what it appears at the moment and so we've now effectively got a governing body that doesn't lead the sport, it reacts to the whims of the clubs short term concerns.

I agree to a point on the TV, especially Sky. It's been very poor of them lately with little to no pushing of RL at all. The Beeb is another matter, as I reckon if we pushed them on the SL show they'd threaten to pull it entirely. Though I find the SL show rather dreary and boring at the best of times. As if it's all rather rushed through and not particularly thought out. But we can give Sky a good go at, especially with the rise of BT Sport.

These are a mix of thoughts off the top of my head and some I've thought about for a while, so it's not a clear, defined strategy in its entirety! But I'd agree entirely we need a strong RFL to centralise and choreograph the direction of the sport, because it's all over the place at the moment.
RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 05 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Jul 17 01:3911th May 17 20:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Is RL underselling itself? : Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:18 pm  
Dally wrote:
I am not sure there is a Southern bias in the media.

I spent the best part of two years watching RL whilst sat alongside guys from all the major tabloids and broadsheets. Trust me. There's a southern bias.
PreviousNext