WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - The side promoted to SL in 2020 will be?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace The side promoted to SL in 2020 will be?

Posted by wrencat1873 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:20 pm
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 211
Rep Position: 10th / 77,338

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 10387
Mr Dog wrote:
Supposedly a meeting with The RFL today to confirm funding amounts for 2019. Maybe why there aren't a great deal of movements being announced until firm budgets can be set.


Another bit of great work by the games administrators (and the clubs ?).
All clubs need to know this way before the end of the season :CRAZY:
Posted by Noel Cleal on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:23 pm
Noel Cleal User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 102nd / 77,338

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:07 pm
Posts: 1414
Location: Kent
I would guess it is between the three teams mentioned.

It would make little sense for another club to make a push until 2020 when they would hope Toronto will be promoted and Widnes will be back to part time.

So I will guess Toronto 2019, Toulouse 2020. This is assuming the system doesn't change before then.
The Aussie Legend!!!
Posted by Huddersfield1895 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:43 pm
Huddersfield1895 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 11
Rep Position: 96th / 77,338

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:08 am
Posts: 1408
Toronto
Posted by Ste100Centurions on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:20 pm
Ste100Centurions Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 94
Rep Position: 28th / 77,338

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:17 pm
Posts: 2066
Go on then, I will have a go ....

1. Toronto
2. Widnes
3. Bradford
4. Toulouse
5. York/Halifax

There's your top 5

6. York/Halifax to narrowly miss out
7. Fev

10 to 14 Leigh *dependant on any potential points deduction*
Posted by Dropkick Murphy on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:53 pm
Dropkick Murphy User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 15
Rep Position: 92nd / 77,338

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:37 pm
Posts: 2786
Location: Heald Green, Cheshire
Noel Cleal wrote:
It would make little sense for another club to make a push until 2020 when they would hope Toronto will be promoted and Widnes will be back to part time.


Fair comment, but won't whoever gets relegated from Super League get the parachute payment that Widnes will have next year, meaning there will always be one team with a bit more to spend regardless of who it is? I do think one or two clubs might look at how much Toronto look to be spending before deciding whether to take them on next year or as you say, just leave them to get promotion and keep their own powder dry until Toronto are safely promoted and out the way.
Warrington RLFC: The Wire, NOT Warrington Wolves

FORZA WIRE
Posted by HXSparky on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:02 pm
HXSparky User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 141
Rep Position: 16th / 77,338

Quiz Score: 96

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:23 pm
Posts: 1890
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
This situation is ridiculous. We need both Toronto and Toulouse in Super League. The new system makes that impossible for 2020. Until we go to licensing and a 14 team Super League the game will not reach its potential.


Toronto choked when it mattered. Licensing ain't coming back any time soon (or that's where we'd have gone now) and it's down to the clubs to embrace the new system. There's nothing to stop TWP or TO getting promoted for 2020, so long as they can deliver the goods on the pitch. If they can't, then they don't deserve promotion.

Basic arithmetic means that there'll not be a 14 team SL unless the TV money increases at the same time (turkeys voting for Xmas and all that), and there's no indication of that happening.

SL games are pretty boring affairs in the main for the neutral (I don't watch many games at all nowadays) and we need to address that and get the on-field spectacle sorted so that more folk actually want to watch a game not involving their own team. Great marketing will get folk to one-off games, but what they see has to be good enough to make them want to return (or tune in next time if they're watching on TV).

In short, TWP and/or TO in SL or not has very little to do with the ultimate success or demise of RL.
Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:09 am
JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 137
Rep Position: 18th / 77,338

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:09 pm
Posts: 5666
Location: Carcassonne, France
HXSparky wrote:
Toronto choked when it mattered. Licensing ain't coming back any time soon (or that's where we'd have gone now) and it's down to the clubs to embrace the new system. There's nothing to stop TWP or TO getting promoted for 2020, so long as they can deliver the goods on the pitch. If they can't, then they don't deserve promotion.

Basic arithmetic means that there'll not be a 14 team SL unless the TV money increases at the same time (turkeys voting for Xmas and all that), and there's no indication of that happening.


In short, TWP and/or TO in SL or not has very little to do with the ultimate success or demise of RL.


We can solve the problem by introducing licensing for the 2022 season when the new TV contract will start, and announce it at the beginning of 2021 or late 2020. That way, if the licensing set up involves at least London, Toronto and Toulouse in Super League, and perhaps New York and Montreal (depending on the money backer being available for those clubs), then the RFL and Super League will be in a strong position to get more money from Sky or other channels for the new TV contract.

A Super League that includes the above mentioned clubs will be far more attractive financially -- to both TV channels and corporate sponsors --- than if we persist with the current moribund P & R arrangement. That is central to the success or demise of rugby league.
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2021!

Avignon for Championship in 2021, Super League in 2022!
Posted by Pumpetypump on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:39 am
Pumpetypump User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 32
Rep Position: 75th / 77,338

Quiz Score: 320

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2002 12:55 pm
Posts: 6602
Location: LS9

Ste100Centurions wrote:
Go on then, I will have a go ....

1. Toronto
2. Widnes
3. Bradford
4. Toulouse
5. York/Halifax

There's your top 5

6. York/Halifax to narrowly miss out
7. Fev

10 to 14 Leigh *dependant on any potential points deduction*


I can't see Bradford finishing as high as that. I would hope we'll not be part of the relegation fight but I'd be happy with stability and be in the scrap for 5th.
Posted by Judder Man on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:40 am
Judder Man User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 39
Rep Position: 68th / 77,338

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:34 pm
Posts: 6010
Location: Now in Enemy Country
For me, and Toronto, we really need to see more Canadians in that side especially when they have another year in the Championship otherwise its just a big city name only and nothing else. Would be nice to see Bradford back and the travelling fans that goes along with it.
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you.
Percival-Lomax--Grace-Thompson-Makinson-Swift-Walmsley, not Eastmond...the future is coming.
Posted by HXSparky on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:01 am
HXSparky User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 141
Rep Position: 16th / 77,338

Quiz Score: 96

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:23 pm
Posts: 1890
JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
We can solve the problem by introducing licensing for the 2022 season when the new TV contract will start, and announce it at the beginning of 2021 or late 2020. That way, if the licensing set up involves at least London, Toronto and Toulouse in Super League, and perhaps New York and Montreal (depending on the money backer being available for those clubs), then the RFL and Super League will be in a strong position to get more money from Sky or other channels for the new TV contract.

A Super League that includes the above mentioned clubs will be far more attractive financially -- to both TV channels and corporate sponsors --- than if we persist with the current moribund P & R arrangement. That is central to the success or demise of rugby league.


Single big money backers are the nemesis that eventually results in the downfall of clubs. All clubs need backing of some sort, but when it's down to one individual it's a recipe for disaster unless there's sustainability in other parts of the club, along with a plan B should said individual walk away.

It's potentially true that licensing could come back as part of a future TV deal (albeit Sky have demonstrated that they like the jeopardy of P&R), but given it will be the incumbent SL clubs at that time that effectively make the decisions, any licensing agreement will only include current SL teams. IF TWP, TO or anyone else wants to be at the table in 2021, then they need to get their act together on the field and win promotion over the next couple of years.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bentleyman, Beverley red, bramleyrhino, CM Punk, Fordy, Google [Bot], little wayne69, reffy, Someday, TheUnassumingBadger, wire-flyer and 128 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,827,4041,39877,3384,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 31st Jan 19:45
SLXXIV
WIGAN WARRIORS
v
ST. HELENS
Fri 1st Feb 19:45
SLXXIV
HULL KR
v
HULL FC
Fri 1st Feb 19:45
SLXXIV
HUDDERSFIELD
v
SALFORD
Fri 1st Feb 19:45
SLXXIV
CASTLEFORD
v
CATALAN DRAGONS
Sat 2nd Feb 17:00
SLXXIV
WARRINGTON
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Sun 3rd Feb 15:00
 CH
LEIGH
v
TOULOUSE
Sun 3rd Feb 15:00
 CH
BATLEY BULLDOGS
v
BARROW RAIDERS
Sun 3rd Feb 15:00
 CH
BRADFORD BULLS
v
FEATHERSTONE
Sun 3rd Feb 15:00
 CH
ROCHDALE
v
DEWSBURY RAMS
Sun 3rd Feb 15:00
 CH
SHEFFIELD
v
SWINTON LIONS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






2