WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Is Kyle Eastmond coming back to rugby league??

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Is Kyle Eastmond coming back to rugby league??

Posted by Sir Kevin Sinfield on Wed May 30, 2018 10:34 am
Sir Kevin Sinfield Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 15
Rep Position: 20th / 77,037

Quiz Score: 0

Judder Man wrote:
That would be a big gamble by Wire taking on a player who is injury prone and has a weak temperament, think he has only played 20 games in 2 years and has missed quite a few games through bad discipline.

He could turn out to be very good value on the salary cap.

In April, clubs unanimously backed proposals to raise not only the salary cap in Super League but allow exemptions to the cap for new or returning talent – a category into which Eastmond falls having been out of the sport for more than five years.

A deal to take him to Warrington would benefit the Wolves’ salary cap spend – only half of his wage would count in 2019, before that figure rises to 75% the following year. Eastmond would also be likely to count as one of Warrington’s two marquee players – irrespective of his salary with the Wolves, his cap value would be no higher than £175,000.
Posted by puroresu_boy on Wed May 30, 2018 11:35 am
puroresu_boy Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

I would like to see him back in League.

Was a shame to lose him so early and SL needs players like him back in the competition.

Obviously there is a worry on how quickly he would be back up to speed, we've seen with Sam Burgess that Union took something away from him and it took a good while for him to get back to his best.

On the flipside Charnley is playing like he never left.
Posted by BrisbaneRhino on Thu May 31, 2018 2:54 am
BrisbaneRhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 22nd / 77,037

To be fair, Sam Burgess was trying to become a centre in Union, and lost weight and power as a result, not to mention not having an off season before going back to Souths (I think he'd almost played three years straight through due to the different seasons in the sports). But there's definitely a risk, as for every Josh Charnley you could point to the likes of Lee Smith, Chev Walker and Iestyn Harris, who came back poorer players than when they left.
Posted by puroresu_boy on Thu May 31, 2018 8:58 am
puroresu_boy Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

BrisbaneRhino wrote:
To be fair, Sam Burgess was trying to become a centre in Union, and lost weight and power as a result, not to mention not having an off season before going back to Souths (I think he'd almost played three years straight through due to the different seasons in the sports). But there's definitely a risk, as for every Josh Charnley you could point to the likes of Lee Smith, Chev Walker and Iestyn Harris, who came back poorer players than when they left.

Very true. I don't think Joel Tomkins was as good when he came back either. Seemed to me like he lost size and wasn't as effective at Centre when he came back to Wigan.
Posted by Judder Man on Thu May 31, 2018 11:15 am
Judder Man User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,037

Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
He could turn out to be very good value on the salary cap.

In April, clubs unanimously backed proposals to raise not only the salary cap in Super League but allow exemptions to the cap for new or returning talent – a category into which Eastmond falls having been out of the sport for more than five years.

A deal to take him to Warrington would benefit the Wolves’ salary cap spend – only half of his wage would count in 2019, before that figure rises to 75% the following year. Eastmond would also be likely to count as one of Warrington’s two marquee players – irrespective of his salary with the Wolves, his cap value would be no higher than £175,000.

Its his temperament and his ability to take on a pivotal role after 6 years out of the game that would concern me rather than how much he costs, if he is a short term replacement for Kevin Brown then Eastmond would need to get up to speed quickly because I don't think Roberts is firing on all cylinders either, also Dec Patton wants a gig at half back and doesn't want to go down the pecking order.
The new young dynasty of super saints is coming to a ground near you.
Percival-Lomax--Grace-Thompson-Makinson-Swift-Walmsley, not Eastmond...the future is coming.
Posted by bewareshadows on Thu May 31, 2018 11:40 am
bewareshadows User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

I guess when people think of eastmond they visualise that teenager full of energy and potential.

Similar to Harris coming back from union. The price tag may not give an accurate impression of what you will get for your money.

Also cap exceptions are only paper adjustments, you still have to stump up the cash.
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.
Posted by kobashi on Thu May 31, 2018 11:42 am
kobashi Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,037

puroresu_boy wrote:
Very true. I don't think Joel Tomkins was as good when he came back either. Seemed to me like he lost size and wasn't as effective at Centre when he came back to Wigan.

You mean playing at second-row for Wigan.
Posted by Trainman on Thu May 31, 2018 7:42 pm
Trainman Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 77,037

If anyone signs Eastmond it is certainly a gamble. I don’t watch union so I’ve no idea how he’s progressed/regressed since he left. He was a talent though he’s spent a lot of time injured and if you listen to St Helens fans he’s wasn’t exactly committed when it came to the physical side of the game.

I wish Warrington luck if they sign him but I’m glad it’s not my team who are being linked.
Posted by Alffi_7 on Thu May 31, 2018 10:49 pm
Alffi_7 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 33rd / 77,037

bewareshadows wrote:
I guess when people think of eastmond they visualise that teenager full of energy and potential.

Similar to Harris coming back from union. The price tag may not give an accurate impression of what you will get for your money.

Also cap exceptions are only paper adjustments, you still have to stump up the cash.

With Simon Moran and Stuart Middleton in charge, cash isn’t an issue for us - salary cap obviously is.

That said I’d agree it’s a big risk. Not only has he been out of the game so long, his injury record has never been great so tying him up on a marquee contract and giving up £175k of cap space can only be regarded as a risk - he may go on to be great, he’s a dual code international, so clearly has talent. But it’s still a massive risk, and as a Wire fan I can’t help think there are better options available.

I’d take Peta Hiku over him in a flash.
Posted by Lebron James on Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:57 am
Lebron James Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 12
Rep Position: 23rd / 77,037

Unbelievable that any league team would take a punt on him. He is an average union player these days, when hes not injured that is and has lost the one thing to his game that made him great...his pace. I reckon I could outpace him now. He made a break last season against, think it was Sarries and was caught by a prop. Says it all

Regards

King James
Previous