WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Try or No Try?
Try or No Try?
Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:10 pm
Posted by HXSparky on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:10 pm
HXSparky User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 15
Rep Position: 20th / 77,218

Quiz Score: 96

In the Fax game this last weekend, a try/no try scenario occurred that I'm sure has happened before, but I can't remember the outcome.

The play finished just in front of me, and tbh I probably had a better initial view of it than any of the officials had on the field. It was the last tackle, and the ball was grounded by the attacking player an inch or two short of the whitewash. There was no secondary motion, just a natural rolling forward of the ball onto the whitewash, but the decision was "no try".

My take on the rules are that it should have been either a try or a penalty (depending on whether the referee thought that the player had made a second movement)? The referee had moved round behind the play by the time it was on the whitewash, so he couldn't (?) have thought it was short of the line.

Anyone have an interpretation of the rules that might explain why it was just a changeover rather than a try or penalty?
Re: Try or No Try?
Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:44 pm
Posted by Cokey on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:44 pm
Cokey User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 44
Rep Position: 3rd / 77,218

Quiz Score: 0

Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
HXSparky wrote:
In the Fax game this last weekend, a try/no try scenario occurred that I'm sure has happened before, but I can't remember the outcome.

The play finished just in front of me, and tbh I probably had a better initial view of it than any of the officials had on the field. It was the last tackle, and the ball was grounded by the attacking player an inch or two short of the whitewash. There was no secondary motion, just a natural rolling forward of the ball onto the whitewash, but the decision was "no try".

My take on the rules are that it should have been either a try or a penalty (depending on whether the referee thought that the player had made a second movement)? The referee had moved round behind the play by the time it was on the whitewash, so he couldn't (?) have thought it was short of the line.

Anyone have an interpretation of the rules that might explain why it was just a changeover rather than a try or penalty?

First of all,why did he give no try when he saw the ball on the line?
Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:52 pm
Posted by HXSparky on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:52 pm
HXSparky User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Cokey wrote:
First of all,why did he give no try when he saw the ball on the line?

The play was directly in front of me, but the ref possibly wasn't in the best position when the ball was grounded. If it's a mistake on the ref's part I'm Ok with that (but shows why we need goal line officials in all games!) but was curious what the rules say in this scenario?
Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:08 pm
Posted by Cokey on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:08 pm
Cokey User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Location: Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
HXSparky wrote:
The play was directly in front of me, but the ref possibly wasn't in the best position when the ball was grounded. If it's a mistake on the ref's part I'm Ok with that (but shows why we need goal line officials in all games!) but was curious what the rules say in this scenario?

Did the ref give a signal as to why he disallowed it?
Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:41 am
Posted by Mr. Zucchini Head on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:41 am
Mr. Zucchini Head Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,218

Quiz Score: 8

If it happened the way you describe it then its a try. Was is quite obviously on the line, or could it have been just short when the ref got in for a closer look?

It was perhaps just deemed to be a double movement. On the last tackle I dont think many refs would penalise it. They would just deem the play dead when the ball carrying arm goes down.
Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:57 am
Posted by Nothus on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:57 am
Nothus User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 77,218

HXSparky wrote:

If the ref gave it as a knock on by the attacking side, then play would resume with a handover as you said it was the last tackle play.
Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:28 pm
Posted by HXSparky on Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:28 pm
HXSparky User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

It was on 51:40 into this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Ouujun2Yg

The ref gave it as a knock-on, but he wasn't in the best position to see what happened. I was directly in line with the play and there was no knock-on from what I could see. Anyway, having seen the video now, at least I know why it was disallowed, even if I don't agree!
Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:45 pm
Posted by Cokey on Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:45 pm
Cokey User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

HXSparky wrote:
It was on 51:40 into this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Ouujun2Yg

The ref gave it as a knock-on, but he wasn't in the best position to see what happened. I was directly in line with the play and there was no knock-on from what I could see. Anyway, having seen the video now, at least I know why it was disallowed, even if I don't agree!

I agree with you, however, the commentator did say the ref looked at his touch judge and gave a knock on, so it seems the decision came from him. After saying that, You was probably in the best position to judge it,but like you say,if he gave a knock on, then a turn over was the correct restart.