Wed 23 May : RLFANS.COM will be undergoing maintenance over the next few days and the service may be unavailable periodically.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Salford Red Devils v Catalans Dragons in New York?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Salford Red Devils v Catalans Dragons in New York?

Posted by HXSparky on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 pm
HXSparky User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 15
Rep Position: 20th / 76,857

Quiz Score: 96

That's a good question. The Cas of last season would be a good choice, but what you've highlighted is that SL isn't endowed with teams that want to entertain as well as win games. I can enjoy a dour forward battle with both teams finishing in single points, but for the masses they want to see free-flowing rugby and load of tries/points being scored this won't do. It's a difficult equation to get the balance between winning and entertainment correct. Winning is more ultimately more important, but it's a very slippery slope if a winning team starts losing and has no "style" as well.
Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:24 pm
JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 12
Rep Position: 23rd / 76,857

Quiz Score: 0

Someday wrote:
If true they might has well have 2 championship teams who will do a better job they will not be many fans from they teams

Some Championship teams have better name recognition than any Super League clubs. Specifically two out of London, Toronto and Toulouse would have been a good choice.
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2019!

Avignon for Championship in 2020, Super League in 2021!
Posted by SaleSlim on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:57 pm
SaleSlim Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 76,857

Someday wrote:
If true they might has well have 2 championship teams who will do a better job they will not be many fans from they teams

Anyone able to translate this?
Posted by luke ShipleyRed on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:01 am
luke ShipleyRed Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 14
Rep Position: 21st / 76,857

Salford red all over wrote:
Whilst I personally have no interest in this rubbish, which two teams would be the right sides ? maybe we could have a re-run of the borefest that was Leeds-HKR ?

Personally think it should be 2 of Leeds/Wigan/Saints/Cas Hull fc. Sides who's own supporters would go. Who people over there might have heard off.

No offence but if you're going to do this. Catalans v Salford just isn't the game that springs to mind to test a new ordinance.
I could be wrong and it's a great game.

As for the other night, yes it wasn't a great game. And certainly one that won't linger in the memory. That was more due to the amount of mistakes both sides made. As someone who remembers winter rugby when games were quite regularly like that, it was to me actually quite an interesting game being there. With hard defence and running, and one that was in the balance till the last 5 mins. Whilst alot of the skill levels were lacking, the effort and hardwork both sides put in can't be faulted.
Hull KR the pride of East Hull.
Posted by JEAN CAPDOUZE on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:43 am
JEAN CAPDOUZE User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 12
Rep Position: 23rd / 76,857

SaleSlim wrote:
Anyone able to translate this?

I don't think anyone on this forum has had the years of training and advanced study necessary to translate that.
Toulouse for Championship in 2017, Super League in 2019!

Avignon for Championship in 2020, Super League in 2021!
Posted by Call Me God on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:17 am
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 53
Rep Position: 2nd / 76,857

luke ShipleyRed wrote:
Personally think it should be 2 of Leeds/Wigan/Saints/Cas Hull fc. Sides who's own supporters would go. Who people over there might have heard off.

I am lost for words........99.99% of Americans wouldn't be able to fing loving London on a map, let alone Leeds..... :CRAZY:
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Wakefield is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Posted by Salford red all over on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:43 pm
Salford red all over User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 76,857

Call Me God wrote:
I am lost for words........99.99% of Americans wouldn't be able to fing loving London on a map, let alone Leeds..... :CRAZY:

Yeah but people will have heard of the local boroughs of Wigan Castleford and St Helens, f-me half the people or more in this country will never have heard of them.

This forum just keeps on giving.. :lol:
Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything.

Mary Hemmingway, US journalist,widow of Ernest Hemmingway (1908-1986)

The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget

"I am not young enough to know everything"
Oscar Wilde Irish Playwright (1854-1900)

One likes people much better when they're battered down by a prodigious siege of misfortune than when they triumph.

virginia woolf (1882-1941)
Posted by luke ShipleyRed on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:29 am
luke ShipleyRed Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 14
Rep Position: 21st / 76,857

Why are you going on about Geography?

I was on about RL terms. As in arguably the biggest clubs in SL right now, the ones that are regularly challenging for trophies (Sorry to Warrington fans in forgetting your club which i should also have included ), and are the most successful of recent years. The ones that are regularly on sky and newspapers. The ones that Americans are more likely to have seen or heard about with regards the game.
Hull KR the pride of East Hull.
Posted by Jimmythecuckoo on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:46 am
Jimmythecuckoo User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 76,857

Quiz Score: 236

Why are people out side of Perpignan and Salford getting bent out of shape over this?

At the turn of the year it was mentioned a SL game could go to New York. If these are the two "worst" supported away sides it makes reasonable fiscal sense to play that game over there.

That's the best way to gauge interest, no?
Posted by northmanchesterdevil on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:04 am
northmanchesterdevil User avatar

Jimmythecuckoo wrote:
Why are people out side of Perpignan and Salford getting bent out of shape over this?

At the turn of the year it was mentioned a SL game could go to New York. If these are the two "worst" supported away sides it makes reasonable fiscal sense to play that game over there.

That's the best way to gauge interest, no?

Quite.
We get landed with Catalan every Easter, either Friday or Monday, while everyone else gets a local derby.
And our away support actually stacks up quite well and is nowhere near the worst in Superleague.
PreviousNext