WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 'Rugby League gave me brain damage' BBC article

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace 'Rugby League gave me brain damage' BBC article

Posted by knockersbumpMKII on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:28 pm
knockersbumpMKII Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 11
Rep Position: 24th / 76,956

Quiz Score: 396

You think they've saved your head ..but from what, the maximum in lab testing proves that even on the strongest part the top bit, it struggles to lower the forces from a simple trip type fall/low speed incident to below that were concussion occurs. It might save you some minor bruising and lacerations but the reality is they do diddly squat.
Those who wear helmets most definitely have more incidents copared to those that don't, even in racing circles helmets have done nothing except make cycle racing more dangerous/crashy and more prone to death despite all the improvements across the board with better brakes, better tyres, better marshalling/warnings, on course medi care etc.

A cracked helmet is a failed helmet, that applies as much to a full face as it does for a road type helmet, for a helmet to work even remotely the same as the testing in lab it MUST compress. What tends to happen is that helmets split/are wrecked due to the high forces and this far exceeds the limitations, a rider will pronounce it 'saved them' all the whilst ignoring that when that happens (the wrecked/split helmet) fails to fully compress which means it doesn't even reach the in lab (best case scenario) reductions which as I said even at low speeds aren't enough to reduce the forces imparted on the brain to below a simple concussion threshold.

Add into which the additional weight on the head which has a noticeable difference when coming off at speed to what happens to your head AND the additional circumference which again increases the chance of hitting your head at all.
Add in a massive dollop of risk compensation (this applies to children particularly but also racing/competitive types) and allied with the inability of helmets to actually prevent what some (but not manufacturers) claim is precisely why we have not just a zero increase in safety for people on bikes (despite other interventions and lower incident rates for pedestrians) but actually it has a negative effect on safety.

I've been a mainly road rider for 30+ years covering around 190,000 miles in various countries and eveything from high density/high speed roads for commuting, utility and fast weekend riding to touring, though I've never raced (guys my size usually don't do well even if I had the talent.lol). I've come down alpine passes at circa 55mph and done a little bit of DH/trail riding BITD but again just for leisure but haven't done any for years.

I've never worn a helmet ever and wearing one would have killed me in my one big off as it most certainly would have snapped my head back and definitely my head would have hit the ground due to the extra circumference thus my brain would have been sloshed around badly not to mention the likelihood of a broken neck.

I've been struck by vehicles a couple of times, ran into by a ped from the side of the road and have a couple of fractured elbows and usual grazing for my troubles, near misses are a daily obstacle but you get hardened to it, I've been running the gauntlet with HGVs on the daily commute since I was 17 when drivers were far better behaved.

I'm an advocate for road safety and know pretty much all the studies including those by certain types whom are state sponsored like Jake Olivier who shouted loudly how great helmets were despite using flawed methodology and lying about the head injury counts (he uses such minor injuries as a cut lip by a non helmet wearer as a head injury) and dismissing his own advice on meta analysis so that he could match his findings to that of his sponsors that being NSW state government. A state who set up police stings so they can fine people not riding with helmets to $400 a go (same a s speeding) and $100 fines for no bell ffs but ignore the carnage caused by drivers.

Malta have just removed their helmet law so it leaves Canada, Jersey, Aus/NZ, some states in 'murica and the racing fraternity to wake up to the fact that helmets are the 2nd worst thing to happen to cycling since motorvehicles could go above 10mph.
Even the boxing world woke up to the fact that wearing headgear only increased the concussion rates.
Posted by Shifty Cat on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:35 pm
Shifty Cat User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 39
Rep Position: 4th / 76,956

Quiz Score: 0

No offense but apart from asking you if your head has taken the no helmet smash to the floor, I just asked you to point me in the direction of the peer-reviewed papers on cycling helmets because I'd be interested to read anything like that.
It was obvious from your previous post your feelings about cycling helmets. By the way, it wasn't just me that said that the helmet saved my head and potentially my life, especially already having a cracked skull before, it was the Doctor in the hospital., Which when you consider I've hit my head on both trees at about 30mph and rock at 20mph, I'd agree. Also, the thing that put me in a coma and nearly killed me years ago, was when someone scumbag hit me with a piece of wood around my head, wish I had a helmet that day!
Posted by knockersbumpMKII on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:05 pm
knockersbumpMKII Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 11
Rep Position: 24th / 76,956

Quiz Score: 396

http://cyclehelmets.org/ to get you started
Previous