WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Super League clubs to be transformed........

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Super League clubs to be transformed........

Posted by atomic on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:16 pm
atomic User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 15
Rep Position: 20th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 0

Call Me God wrote:
I genuinely randomly picked that week on BARB.....same way I randomly picked the month. I didn't even know SKY had any European Rugby and was shocked at how small their viewing figures were.....I can see why the RFU et al woud be happy now BT have the lot with C5 giving them FTA coverage....and I am not defending RU, simply highlighting the task ahead of Adam Pearson in achieving parity with it.

I don't want any sport to "get a kicking". SKY have moved away from SP1 SP2 etc to dedicated channels, but AFAIK, if you pay for Sky Sports then you can acces the lot, so regardless of which sky sports channel it is on, it can be viewed.
Without SKY we wouldn't have a professional league and the fact that they now literally own the game is 100% down to the idleness and laziness of both the clubs and those charged with managing their affairs......but we made our bed....as for the BBC debate, I will 100% always return to that most damning of stats regarding the 2013 Semi-final getting fewer viewers than the Ireland v AB's game the following day...there was less demand for it and it is not the BBC's job to create the demand.

I see from comments in various media that the new SL board is "looking into the legalities" of the current TV deal......there are comments alluding to some parties being paid more than others and that the full details of the current deal aren't known to everyone.
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/super-league-clubs-keen-to-have-greater-say-in-key-decisions-1-8953441

The problem is that regardless of what the future of sports broadcasting will look like, we don't have any say until this deal runs out, by which time the 12 or 14 SL chairmen will have already decided that THEIR CLUBS are the ones making the money so they should keep it, cutting the rest of the game loose.......and good luck trying to sell Halifax v Dewsbury to any reputable broadcaster......sky own the rights to both SL and the Championship and as Derek B@Leigh has just found out.....they can do with them as they please......but still, at least the clubs all got their 300k signing fee so that's OK.

Interesting to note that the legal aspects of contracts between the RFL/Clubs and Sky are being looked into. In what capacity,I'm not sure.
Posted by LifeLongHKRFan on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:03 pm
LifeLongHKRFan User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 76,959

Quiz Score: 328

atomic wrote:
Interesting to note that the legal aspects of contracts between the RFL/Clubs and Sky are being looked into. In what capacity,I'm not sure.

Probably looking for a loophole so they can renegotiate or go back out to tender.
Posted by kobashi on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:42 pm
kobashi Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 76,959

LifeLongHKRFan wrote:
Probably looking for a loophole so they can renegotiate or go back out to tender.

I don't get that impression at all. There won't be a loophole anyway. This is sky sports remember. They know what they are doing.

From the article it just sounds like the club's want more say in where all the money actually goes.
Posted by Huddersfield1895 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:14 am
Huddersfield1895 Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 28th / 76,959

kobashi wrote:
I don't get that impression at all. There won't be a loophole anyway. This is sky sports remember. They know what they are doing.

From the article it just sounds like the club's want more say in where all the money actually goes.

Well i hope more money goes to junior development/grass roots
Posted by Psychedelic Casual on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:26 am
Psychedelic Casual Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 20
Rep Position: 15th / 76,959

Asgardian13 wrote:
It seems that RL administrators can't win whatever they do. People have been moaning ( rightly, in my view ) about Nigel Wood's lack of ability. So, now he's gone, and the clubs are starting (only starting, of course) to set out a more ambitious and aggressive agenda for progress, and yet you immediately call it 'desperation'. In truth, we need a bit of 'desperation thinking', not in a panicked way, but simply for the realisation to dawn that RL is missing out on the big money and needs to adapt to win some of it.

I am an enthusiastic supporter of maintaining the sport's grass roots and helping the smaller clubs to survive and flourish. However, unless we think big at the top (and was it not great that the potential England/NZ match in Denver was included in the quote?) we will continue to lose ground to Union in attendances, TV audiences, sponsorship and all the other revenue vital for the game to progress.

Spot on pal
--- ¡ We are Wire ! ---
Posted by Jimmythecuckoo on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:23 am
Jimmythecuckoo User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 5
Rep Position: 30th / 76,959

Quiz Score: 236

There needs to be a decent pathway into the sport, especially down south.

We looked into playing the game and found that league gets lip service as a summer fitness exercise for union players.

It was only getting involved with England Touch highlighting the similarities in the way the games are played that put us on a path towards playing the sport.

We are mostly over 40's men who are happy to stay away from full contact, but even if we had a good player come and join who is say 18, we would have nowhere to send them if they wanted to progress.
Posted by Call Me God on Wed May 09, 2018 1:53 am
Call Me God User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 53
Rep Position: 2nd / 76,959

Call Me God wrote:

So, 4 months after he claimed it would take maybe 3 months to see the seeds of change and 6 months to see major changes, the only thing I can see is fewer fans at games (10%) and fewer viewers tuning in (8%).
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Wakefield is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:
Previous