WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - On the train
Re: On the train
Post Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:38 pm
Posted by kobashi on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:38 pm
kobashi Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
Who would be advertising in the North West of England? The games are been held in Australia and New Zealand!

They are clearly not Rugby League fans, the fact they are talking about the sport and know England are in the World Cup final next week is a massive positive, even if they don’t know the fine details of the tournament.

We got plenty of coverage on BBC breakfast this morning, Jon Wilkin was in the studio.

Good to hear about BBC. Really hoping they push the final this week.
Post Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:45 am
Posted by bramleyrhino on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:45 am
bramleyrhino User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Muggins wrote:
That a couple of villages are missing their idiots?

Sorry but you can't spoon feed everyone. The internet means it's not difficult for interested people to check a few basic facts. What's annoying is that they clearly didn't do that, but are then happy to make judgements based on zero knowledge. Pair of muppets.

The problem is that too few people are interested enough in the first place.

Now that's the result of year upon year of poor marketing at club level, but that's probably a different debate.
I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls

Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.

Jamie Jones-Buchanan wrote:
"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.
Post Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:48 am
Posted by Muggins on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:48 am
Muggins User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 7th / 76,390

Quiz Score: 56

Call Me God wrote:
That's the spirit...anyone who isn't a RL fan or knowledgeable about all things to do with RL is to be called a name, because nothing attracts new fans to a sport like open hostility.... :roll:

To be honest I was commenting more in a general sense. It just so happened that they were talking about rugby league. I would say the same about anyone who was saying disparaging things about something or someone without having bothered to first check that what they were saying is accurate. Them saying it's the first RL world cup and then being dismissive of why it's a world cup when 'there's only five teams' - both things that are incorrect - doesn't exactly make me sympathetic towards them. I don't expect them to be knowledgeable about "all things RL" - I myself know very little about RL - but I do expect people to check a few basic facts before they make statements. If you google RL world cup you get a big piece on the right hand side of the page saying there are 14 teams taking part and that the first world cup was in 1954. We're not talking about having to spend hours in a library researching RL history. Anyway, I hope they do take more of a interest in RL.
Post Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:27 pm
Posted by SaleSlim on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:27 pm
SaleSlim Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Dally wrote:
Don't worry, from what I have seen most people on Salford struggle to count to 5, let alone more. Thickest people in Europe.

"On Salford"? :?

Btw I'm Salford born and bred and fortunately am just about able to count to 5. Which is more than adequate to reach your IQ. :lol:
Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:28 am
Posted by Call Me God on Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:28 am
Call Me God User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 10th / 76,390

Quiz Score: 0

Muggins wrote:
I would say the same about anyone who was saying disparaging things about something or someone without having bothered to first check that what they were saying is accurate.

So you voted to Remain in the EU then...good man. It's just a shame that the majority of the UK weren't as pedantic as you and fact checked before hand and instead wen't with what they'd been told or read on the side of a big red bus :lol:

The 5 Teams comments weren't far wrong BTW.....with the majority of the players across all 14 squads coming from 3 main countries........and only PNG and France bucking the "Heritage Trend".....Tonga, who have been the highlight for me actually had 2 Tongans and 14 Kiwis with 3 Aussies.
The Comment about it being the "first" is worrying from a legacy point of view, given we had one in England only 4 years ago...that's down to the RFL......and as for everyone being required to google something before opening their mouths........if that was mandatory then this board would be deserted! 8)
Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:08 pm
Posted by Muggins on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:08 pm
Muggins User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 7th / 76,390

Quiz Score: 56

Yes, I voted to remain in the EU. Unfortunately for me the majority didn't. That's how a referendum works. I don't honestly think though that you can equate the complexities of voting in that referendum to simple fact checking when it comes to finding out how many teams are in a RL world cup.

Maybe your explanation about the five teams is what they were getting at, although it would be somewhat peculiar for them to have a detailed knowledge of the make up of all the teams, but not to know that this isn't the first ever RLWC.
Previous