WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Fall from grace
Re: Fall from grace
Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:45 pm
Posted by HXSparky on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:45 pm
HXSparky User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

It would be good and a sensible use of some of the money in the game (it wouldn't need a lot) to help players transition into a life outside of RL when their playing days finish. This goes beyond that though.
Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:59 pm
Posted by Mild Rover on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:59 pm
Mild Rover User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

fun time frankie wrote:
Instead of feeling sorry for Alker who is scum and deserves to go to prison what about the people who were there at the robbery who were probably frightened to death there the real victims

While the accusations are very serious they are still just accusations unless and until that Bolton jury decide otherwise.

On player welfare more generally, I think the parallel with the armed forces mentioned earlier is generally an accurate one.

Ultimately the individual bears personal responsibility, but putting programmes in place to help ease the transition... well it can't do any harm, and I can't imagine it'd be massively expensive to at very least raise awareness and outline options.
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.
Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:39 pm
Posted by Budgiezilla on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:39 pm
Budgiezilla User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

vastman wrote:
No and why should they. Dependency culture none sense. Malcolm Alker will have earned a fair wedge from RL through the years, more than many.

They didn't turn to crime and nether do 99% of the population.

It's not sad he's a low life he was carrying a blade by the sound of it ffs. What about the staff he terrorised?

Get a grip man being a RL player doesn't excuse anything.

Well said.... :CLAP:
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me"
Post Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:06 am
Posted by SaleSlim on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:06 am
SaleSlim Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Alker has been suffering from mental health issues for years by all accounts and it's sad that it has come to this. Horrendous for the victims and tragic for Alker as it will be difficult for him to come back from this. One of the best players to wear the Salford shirt in my near 30 years supporting the club and it's sad to see.
Post Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:14 pm
Posted by knockersbumpMKII on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:14 pm
knockersbumpMKII Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

fun time frankie wrote:
Instead of feeling sorry for Alker who is scum and deserves to go to prison what about the people who were there at the robbery who were probably frightened to death there the real victims

It's not about feeling sorry for Alker, it's about what the sport can do to give retiring players who may not have any skills outside of being a good RL player support so they don't end up in the same situation thus avoiding creating victims in the first instance.
As a sport we can't do anything after the fact for the victims, however we can try to give players avenues into education if they would want to do so, guide them on being money wise ready for retirement (which can happen at any point).
Nobody is saying they should have an extra leg up after they retire but help prepare them for when their careers come to an end, you do that and situations like Alker's are hugely less likely to happen, it also means that mental health problems and alcohol abuse are less likely.

I remember when I was forced to leave the Army for medical reasons, I had zero support, nobody to hold my hand, no advice, nada. But what I did have was a decent education before I joined up, had recognised professional qualifications in an industry that fortunately for me was looking for what I had to offer so found a job before I was eventually discharged. I'd already being blocked from getting a better job due to some cockwomble but I was far from institutionalised like many who find it really hard to get back into civvy street especially infantry lads (we're going back best part of 30 years so things have changed since)

I'm sure you'd rather see situations that are reported not to happen at all right and would approve of systems in place to try to avoid same?

And yes, I agree, some people will do wrong no matter how much help they are given, we have some current examples of that in RL circles. If the help/advice is already there and not taken/taken on board then there's not a huge amount more clubs/governing body can be expected to do, however rehabilitation can work in some instances. Giving people a purpose and getting their self respect back can make a massive difference in how people look at life and how they go about living it going forward that not only is better for the individual but better for society as a whole (i.e. they don't become a serial criminal)
Previous