WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - IS RUGBY LEAGUE GOING TOO SOFT?

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace & RLWC2017 IS RUGBY LEAGUE GOING TOO SOFT?

Re: IS RUGBY LEAGUE GOING TOO SOFT?
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:50 am
Bull Mania User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

The Sykes yellow was soft IMO. However i think it's a case of referees not handling situations correctly rather than the game going soft. We had a thread on here the other week about Greg Birds spear tackle that most thought should have been a red, and only got a yellow. We were talking about the Sykes incident on our board and thought the yellow was harsh, but said we're still owed plenty from the game at theirs earlier in the season. The referees allowed out and out thuggery in that game. Joe Keyes had a shoulder charge to the head that knocked him unconscious and was forced to miss the next week too due to the severity of it, yet the officials thought it was absolutely fine. Same game, our full back carried ball over dead ball line. He was then picked up and hurled into some metal barriers. A resulting fight ensued and referee decided sin-binning a man from either side was the correct call. As i said, i don't think it's a case of the game going soft, the referees seem to be struggling to get these decisions right.

As we have a shortage of referees, we're getting some who aren't ready and getting stuff wrong. , Spear tackles, canon ball tackles, shoulder charges to the head going unpunished yet they seem quite keen to sin-bin players when they hurt their neck, no matter what the actions of the tackler actually were (see Dean Hadley case) Not easy being a referee and they will get stuff wrong in a split decision (e.g. Liam Watts incident) but there's too many cards being shown to incidents that are nothing, and no action being taken against acts of thuggery,

One last point, next season i want a clamp-down (automatic sin-binning) for goading, rubbing peoples heads, screaming in their faces. Sick of it this season.
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:27 am
Bullseye User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Agree 100% BullMania
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:38 pm
Biff Tannen User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

rodney_trotter wrote:
I think he was kidding :lol:

Was he?

woooosh :lol:
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:26 pm
TheElectricGlidingWarrior User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

wrencat1873 wrote:
If all players and clubs could sign some sort of disclaimer about damages and loss of earnings etc, we could go back to 70's style cheap shots and a proper bit of biff on the field of play but, these days, there is so much risk of someone suing someone else ore the organisation they are employed by, everything has to change.
A decent scrap would get the players going, lift the crowd and probably add to the spectacle of the game and yes, everything in life is becoming far too sanitised but, it will never go back to "the good old days".

You think players should sign away their own protection and risk injury and loss of earnings for your entertainment? And they call Wigan thugs...
Harrigan wrote:
Wigan are the most structured team I have ever seen in this country.

NickyKiss wrote:
As a fan Wane makes you want to run through a brick wall so you can only imagine how he makes the players feel!

@TheEGW
YouTube Channel
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:43 pm
inside man User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Double wwhoosh it would seem.
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:23 pm
Sir Kevin Sinfield Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

No it's not going too soft, repeated concussion causes brain damage, nothing to do with been "hard". Everything possible needs to be done to prevent concussion and other injuries, nobody wants to see another Alex Mckinnon or death on the field.
Post Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:20 pm
Mike1970 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

If the likes of Marco Asenio start playing rugby then i'll start worrying.
Post Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:06 pm
LifeLongHKRFan User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Mike1970 wrote:
If the likes of Marco Asenio start playing rugby then i'll start worrying.

I had to laugh when I read about that.
Previous