WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Old v New
 

Re: Old v New

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:03 am
Sadfish User avatar
ADMIN
ADMIN

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:31 pm
Posts: 20334
Location: RLFANS HQ Salford.

where was the money coming from though? all those clubs where broke when they moved, there was only one way to generate the money needed to improve a ground and that was to move and sell the land for houses or supermarkets.
Image

Re: Old v New

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:20 am
Trainman Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:59 pm
Posts: 553
Sadfish wrote:
where was the money coming from though? all those clubs where broke when they moved, there was only one way to generate the money needed to improve a ground and that was to move and sell the land for houses or supermarkets.


If that's in reference to my post you missed the bit where I said I understand the reasons why. Wigan were going bust, St Helens needed the money from the sale of KR to go towards the stadium. I know why we all moved but it doesn't stop me wishing we could have renovated Central Park and KR.

Re: Old v New

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:41 am
number 6 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:46 pm
Posts: 10332
Trainman wrote:
If that's in reference to my post you missed the bit where I said I understand the reasons why. Wigan were going bust, St Helens needed the money from the sale of KR to go towards the stadium. I know why we all moved but it doesn't stop me wishing we could have renovated Central Park and KR.



boulevard wasnt upto standard apart from the threepenny stand, probably wouldnt have got a safety certificate after the final season

Re: Old v New

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:54 am
Mild mannered Janitor User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:48 pm
Posts: 6982
Location: Here there and everywhere
number 6 wrote:
boulevard wasnt upto standard apart from the threepenny stand, probably wouldnt have got a safety certificate after the final season



I know I am in the minority of Hull fans on this, but The Boulevard was 15 year well pasted its use by date. Many Hull fans still lament the atmosphere it used to generate when in reality since the restrictions from both the Valley Parade and Hillsborough disasters, the atmosphere was nothing like what it was prior to these.

It had a poor reputation with visiting fans during Hulls first few seasons in SL, and whether its was warranted or not, that reputation put a lot of visiting fans off.

Hull were fortunate to an extend that the local council were building the KC as a community stadium and had the opportunity to play there. Hull KR were given the same opportunity but declined the offer.

Ideally I would love Hull FC to have their own facility, circa 18000 capacity, with standing terracing. The reality is its far too expensive for an RL club to fund this themselves.
Nil......Zip.....Nothing....ZERO....0

Re: Old v New

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:50 pm
The Chair Maker User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 12687
Location: The heart of gods Country, Haydock
Saints new ground is only a 10 minute walk from the town centre so is far more accessible than Knowsley road which when built was in the middle of the countryside. Most of the housing round the area was built post WW2.

Far prefer Langtree park. Now arrive at the ground 40 minutes before kick off and have a drink and chat. Knowley road was a case of turning up 10 minutes before kickoff.

Re: Old v New

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:47 pm
HXSparky User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:23 pm
Posts: 1205
The Shay is a far better ground than Thrum Hall, albeit the noise from the Scrattin' Shed was truly awesome. The toilets at Thrum Hall used to shrink in size as the urine collected and spread across the floor.....

Re: Old v New

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:41 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 20978
Location: WIGAN
The Chair Maker wrote:
Saints new ground is only a 10 minute walk from the town centre so is far more accessible than Knowsley road which when built was in the middle of the countryside. Most of the housing round the area was built post WW2.

Far prefer Langtree park. Now arrive at the ground 40 minutes before kick off and have a drink and chat. Knowley road was a case of turning up 10 minutes before kickoff.


It's an ideal location.

Somebody mentioned that it would've been been better if they'd rebuilt Knowsley Road and Central Park rather then get new grounds. It clearly would've been better for us to have our own ground in the town centre but Saints have definitely made the right move.

Re: Old v New

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:08 pm
Erik the not red Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:53 pm
Posts: 682
New stadiums for me every time. When all is said and done I want to be able to easily see whats happening on the pitch and modern stadium design is at a standard that allows you to do this. That's not to deny that some old grounds had tremendous character and atmosphere but do we really want to get back to squeezing backwards, forwards and sideways trying to see the action and still ending up wondering what happened? And though the atmosphere seemed better, frankly some of the chants were hardly family friendly and indeed are probably deemed illegal these days.

Thankfully most clubs have decent grounds these days.
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aliw2001, Beverley red, bramleyrhino, Chris.Taylor, CM Punk, Drust, Exiled down south, jakeyg95, LeythIg, Lockers700, Neil HFC, Rhinoshaund III, Smew, SteveH, The Devil's Advocate, tigertot, upthetrin92, Wellsy13, wigsey and 147 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace



POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORD (DATE)YOUR TEAM
4,592,0262,04076,0594,491 (28-03-2016)SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
  Thu : 10:50
NRL
PARRAMATTA
v
CANTERBURY  
  Thu : 20:00
SL
LEEDS
v
ST. HELENS  
  Fri : 09:00
NRL
GOLD COAST
v
ST GEORGE  
  Fri : 10:50
NRL
BRISBANE
v
MELBOURNE  
  Sat : 06:00
NRL
SYDNEY
v
CRONULLA  
  Sat : 08:30
NRL
MANLY
v
NZ WARRIORS  
  Sat : 10:30
NRL
CANBERRA
v
NQL COWBOYS  
  Sat : 18:00
SL
CATALANS
v
LEIGH  
 > Sat : 18:30
SL
WAKEFIELD
v
WARRINGTON < 
  Sat : 18:30
CH1
BARROW
v
GLOUC  
  Sat : 19:00
SL
CASTLEFORD
v
HULL FC  
  Sun : 05:00
NRL
NEWCASTLE
v
WESTS  
  Sun : 07:00
NRL
SOUTHS
v
PENRITH  
  Sun : 14:00
CH1
OXFORD
v
CELTIC  
  Sun : 14:00
CH1
WHITEHAVEN
v
KEIGHLEY  
  Sun : 14:00
CH1
HEMEL
v
SOUTH WALES  
  Sun : 15:00
CH
HULL KR
v
LONDON  
  Sun : 15:00
CH
OLDHAM
v
TOULOUSE  
  Sun : 15:00
CH
DEWSBURY
v
ROCHDALE  
  Sun : 15:00
CH
FEATHERSTONE
v
BATLEY  
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM