WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rugby League Season Ticket

Board index RLFANS MAIN The Virtual Terrace Rugby League Season Ticket

Rugby League Season Ticket

Post Sat May 28, 2016 4:07 pm
Him User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Only a thought, maybe not a great one but here goes anyway.

A few days ago somebody mentioned on here about having another magic weekend but for the cup and having a cup season ticket. Well I'm sat watching the Big Bash on tv and it got me thinking (a rare and dangerous thing) should we maybe move beyond the traditional club season ticket that just includes regular season home games to more of an RL season ticket that includes entry to other events?

You can then include events on it that might struggle to get a big crowd but could still leave off things like Grand Final and Cup Final that can get a big crowd on their own.

Maybe an RL season ticket would look something like:
- entry to all regular league home games for your club (obviously)
- entry to all cup home games for your club
- entry to Magic Weekend (apply in advance)
- entry to Championship Big Bash (apply in advance)
- entry to World Club Series games (apply in advance)
- entry to Cup semi finals (apply in advance)

Add something like £50/£60 to the standard season ticket?

Would it get more money into the sport and more people at these events? Obviously the risk would be that people wouldn't like the price hike and so not buy a season ticket at all.

As I said only a thought, but I think we need to do more collectively as a sport rather than relying on piecemeal growth here and there led by clubs.

Also, whilst watching the summer bash I think that SL should've taken a week off this week to prioritise the summer bash and likewise last week the Championship should've taken a week off.

Re: Rugby League Season Ticket

Post Sat May 28, 2016 10:44 pm
Ste100Centurions Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

While I don't always agree with you Him, I believe there is some merit in your idea, with a little tweak maybe.

Post Sun May 29, 2016 2:48 am
knockersbumpMKII Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

I mentioned a few times about a collective thing between clubs to have an away season ticket.
Clubs that take most away fans get better discounts.

However the idea of an all encompassing ticket for the above events is goid but £50/60...sorry but that is miles off.magic weekend ticket is too cheap anyway and if you get even just one home cup game, 3 WCS, 2 semi finals plus big bash that's effectively less than £5 per day of rugby.
By all means give a collective discount but underselling the sport as we continually do does more harm than good.

Post Sun May 29, 2016 9:28 am
Him User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

knockersbumpMKII wrote:
I mentioned a few times about a collective thing between clubs to have an away season ticket.
Clubs that take most away fans get better discounts.

However the idea of an all encompassing ticket for the above events is goid but £50/60...sorry but that is miles off.magic weekend ticket is too cheap anyway and if you get even just one home cup game, 3 WCS, 2 semi finals plus big bash that's effectively less than £5 per day of rugby.
By all means give a collective discount but underselling the sport as we continually do does more harm than good.

Most SL clubs could only get 2 cup home games now anyway. And it's unlikely that people will go to every event, in fact it'd be impossible which is why people would have to apply for tickets.

I'm wary of adding more to the ticket because of the risk of putting people off from buying the season ticket in the first place.

As I said there will be very few, if any, people who would attend all those events and it's difficult to raise prices on games when there's plenty of empty seats at them.

As I said though it's only a thought.

What do you reckon? Maybe £80-£100 on the current season ticket?

That would put the price up to just over £300. Do you reckon people would accept that kind of price rise? Maybe we could do it in stages over a few years, adding more events each year so that it's not such a steep rise all at once?

Genuine questions by the way, I'm not having a go.

Am genuinely interested in if people think this might be a good or practical idea.

Post Mon May 30, 2016 1:53 am
knockersbumpMKII Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Ok, say one day at a magic event, a big bash, one cup game, one WCC game and a semi final of the CC then £80 is an absolute steal IMHO.
Some people are paying for their season tickets in instalments so £300 over 12 months is not that much when you think how many actual games you get to watch.

Post Mon May 30, 2016 6:03 am
DemonUK User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Devils advocate. How do you work it if you have 60,000 tickets available for say Magic Weekend and 80,000 apply in advance. So that's 20,000 people who wanted an all singing ST that may not now buy one. OK you could apply an adjustment to the ST cost but how complicated would that get. Also no home ties are guaranteed in the cup, there are loads of other issues I could bring up. The problem, if it is a problem is peoples habits and views around our great game would have to be changed.
2015 - major missed opportunity, 2016 - stronger teams = harder task (no problem there then), 2017 - OMG What now!!!

Post Tue May 31, 2016 7:59 am
Kiyan Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

If the RFL could manage to organise an international and domestic calendar 12 months in advance then a RFL season ticket could work, giving access to all the games they organise: Magic, Summer Bash. GF.CC, WCC and any internationals. Say £100/£150 with clubs able to sell them with a discount of £20 to ST holders?