WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Jarryd Hayne's huge success in USA is great for rugby league

Board index Welcome to RLFANS The Virtual Terrace Jarryd Hayne's huge success in USA is great for rugby league

Posted by Mr. Zucchini Head on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:36 pm
Mr. Zucchini Head Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 13th / 76,378

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:10 pm
Posts: 10648
moto748 wrote:
I know next to nothing about American football, and am not much interested, but I always assumed that virtually nothing was 'off the cuff' in AFL, and it was all pre-planned moves. Is this wrong?


99% of the plays are planned yes, but that doesn't mean things will always go to plan. Players do need to read the game and think on their feet, and even when they do go to plan they still need to be executed. Its not a playstation game.
Posted by PopTart on Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:19 pm
PopTart User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 11th / 76,378

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am
Posts: 9699
Location: wakefield
That's not true.
Every play is planned but that plan is to give the QB options.
He doesn't always throw to plan A.
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha
Posted by knockersbumpMKII on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:41 pm
knockersbumpMKII Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 6th / 76,378

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:41 pm
Posts: 4207
Location: Letchworth Garden City,
PopTart wrote:
That's not true.
Every play is planned but that plan is to give the QB options.
He doesn't always throw to plan A.

There is usually a primary option, whether that be a running play or a pass, then secondary options, then after that it's about moving off the initial 'set play' and playing by ear, this can result in the QB 'scrambling' or other plays like a shuffle pass or backs turning up downfield on spread offence. those not in the know often mistake the read option as being off the cuff.
Then you get plays like this which are very much rugby league-esque and in the mould of 'wide to West'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKFwCJL6eFI
Posted by Seth on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:12 am
Seth Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 10th / 76,378

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:40 pm
Posts: 1788
Location: Meltham
knockersbumpMKII wrote:
There is usually a primary option, whether that be a running play or a pass, then secondary options, then after that it's about moving off the initial 'set play' and playing by ear, this can result in the QB 'scrambling' or other plays like a shuffle pass or backs turning up downfield on spread offence. those not in the know often mistake the read option as being off the cuff.
Then you get plays like this which are very much rugby league-esque and in the mould of 'wide to West'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKFwCJL6eFI



Why don't they pass the ball more in American Football? Would make it far more watchable if they did.
Posted by Wigg'n on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:24 pm
Wigg'n Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,378

Quiz Score: 20

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 10:08 am
Posts: 5823
Seth wrote:
Why don't they pass the ball more in American Football? Would make it far more watchable if they did.


It's the most watched sport in America and they have their pick of the best athletes, why would they change anything?
Posted by Seth on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:26 pm
Seth Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 10th / 76,378

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:40 pm
Posts: 1788
Location: Meltham
Wigg'n wrote:
It's the most watched sport in America and they have their pick of the best athletes, why would they change anything?


That's a fair comment and each to their own. I just find an average of 11 minutes of action across 3 hours particularly dull.
Posted by knockersbumpMKII on Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:16 pm
knockersbumpMKII Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 6th / 76,378

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:41 pm
Posts: 4207
Location: Letchworth Garden City,
Wigg'n wrote:
It's the most watched sport in America and they have their pick of the best athletes, why would they change anything?


you change how you do things to gain an advantage, rules/how the accepted way to play in the NFL stifle open play. It's not that you couldn't pass the ball 'laterally' more often, it's that because you can block a potential recipient it's deemed very high risk. You could use it in a similar way to a short kick off early in a game of rugby league when it's least expected (as in not when you're behind) or say a kick from the scrum. Given the risk value unless it's a last play of the game then it just won't happen but that's why sports like rugby league are interesting because they can change and develop. Gridiron is massively regimented with rules that make even less logical sense than ours
Posted by Lebron James on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:25 pm
Lebron James Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,378

Quiz Score: 8

Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:32 pm
Posts: 1132
Seth wrote:
That's a fair comment and each to their own. I just find an average of 11 minutes of action across 3 hours particularly dull.


The majority of the world find a glorified version of british bulldog dull, but that doesnt stop the likes of me and you loving rugby league., Everyone is different

Regards

King James
Posted by Seth on Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:45 pm
Seth Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 10th / 76,378

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:40 pm
Posts: 1788
Location: Meltham
Lebron James wrote:
The majority of the world find a glorified version of british bulldog dull, but that doesnt stop the likes of me and you loving rugby league., Everyone is different

Regards

King James


As I said, each to their own. Regardless of what anyone thinks to the actual action of either game, for entertainment value they don't compare with one having 11 mins over 3 hours and the other 50+ Over 1.5 hours.
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bearded, bewildered, bramleyrhino, coco the fullback, luke ShipleyRed, Salford red all over, steadygetyerboots-on, Touchliner, Wilde 3, yorksguy1865 and 111 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to The Virtual Terrace





POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,668,8621,47476,3784,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Thu 1st Feb 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
WARRINGTON
v
LEEDS RHINOS
Thu 1st Feb 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
HULL FC
v
HUDDERSFIELD
Fri 2nd Feb 19:30
SUPER LEAGUE
SALFORD
v
WIGAN WARRIORS
Fri 2nd Feb 19:45
SUPER LEAGUE
ST. HELENS
v
CASTLEFORD
Fri 2nd Feb 19:45
 CHAMPIONSHIP
DEWSBURY RAMS
v
SHEFFIELD
Fri 2nd Feb 20:00
SUPER LEAGUE
HULL KR
v
WAKEFIELD
Sat 3rd Feb 14:00
 CHAMPIONSHIP
TOULOUSE
v
SWINTON LIONS
Sun 4th Feb 15:00
 CHAMPIONSHIP
LEIGH
v
TORONTO
Sun 4th Feb 15:00
 CHAMPIONSHIP
LONDON BRONCOS
v
BARROW RAIDERS
Sun 4th Feb 15:00
 CHAMPIONSHIP
ROCHDALE
v
BATLEY BULLDOGS
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM