Posted by bullinenemyland on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:19 am
bullinenemyland User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 94th / 77,338

Quiz Score: 340

Bullseye wrote:
Indeed Highlander. We’ve a long season to complete yet too. This time last year we were celebrating beating Batley convincingly at home. All the pundits were saying we’d soon cancel out the points deduction and stay up.

Then Easter came and it all fell apart.

This year the squad looks much better and I don’t think we’ll see another slump like 2017 but it’s worth remembering to avoid complacency.

Given that Bustin, Wood and Johnson remain loanees I still wouldn’t be surprised to see Kear bring in a permanent signing or two if the right man became available.

All three loanees offer strength in depth and are actually proving to be decent players at this level. Don't think Wood is likely to return as he seems quite low in the pecking order, as does Johnson. Bustin however looks a real handful and I could see him back in the fold at Cas if they pick up a few knocks in the forwards.
Don't think i'm biased...
...i'm just very narrow minded!!!!!!!
Re: Hunslet (A) Cup Match
Post Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:19 am
Posted by HamsterChops on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:19 am
HamsterChops User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 25
Rep Position: 82nd / 77,338

Quiz Score: 0

bullinenemyland wrote:
All three loanees offer strength in depth and are actually proving to be decent players at this level. Don't think Wood is likely to return as he seems quite low in the pecking order, as does Johnson. Bustin however looks a real handful and I could see him back in the fold at Cas if they pick up a few knocks in the forwards.

Thankfully Cas have just signed another prop. Although admittedly he'll probably be suspended for most of the season.
Post Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:08 pm
Posted by Bulls4Champs on Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:08 pm
Bulls4Champs Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 17
Rep Position: 90th / 77,338

Plus they've got Mitch Clark out on loan as well.
Post Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:01 pm
Posted by roger daly on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:01 pm
roger daly Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 42
Rep Position: 65th / 77,338

A couple of changes this week. My lads starting on the bench
Post Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:08 am
Posted by woolly07 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:08 am
woolly07 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 20
Rep Position: 87th / 77,338

It is interesting that the idea of two SL groups of 10 seems to be getting accepted as a "done deal" (not by Frank) as if we are being told unofficially to get us ready.
Phil Caplan - who I really like listening to says it has been leaked that it will be 2 tens with one up and one down. Clubs also need to pass the criteria of reserve teams etc which is handy as AC is building ours up - what a coincidence! The rest of the clubs will get nothing and have to learn to survive which will be tough on them.
It was in the interview with the Keighley coach when he said it was vital they get into the top 20 which made me think at the time why would he give such a definitive statement like that out of the blue unless he was already aware of something.
This links nicely with the Doctors' statement that we will be back in SL within 3 years - although it looks like SL2.
Post Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:21 am
Posted by thepimp007 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:21 am
thepimp007 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 46
Rep Position: 61st / 77,338

Quiz Score: 432

roger daly wrote:
A couple of changes this week. My lads starting on the bench

Have you had a word with Kear to calm his try scoring down to stop it costing you money? :lol: :lol:
Post Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:54 am
Posted by Bulliac on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:54 am
Bulliac User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 41
Rep Position: 66th / 77,338

Bullseye wrote:
Indeed Highlander. We’ve a long season to complete yet too. This time last year we were celebrating beating Batley convincingly at home. All the pundits were saying we’d soon cancel out the points deduction and stay up.

Then Easter came and it all fell apart.

This year the squad looks much better and I don’t think we’ll see another slump like 2017 but it’s worth remembering to avoid complacency.

Given that Bustin, Wood and Johnson remain loanees I still wouldn’t be surprised to see Kear bring in a permanent signing or two if the right man became available.

I don't see any comparison with 2017, to be honest. We've just three loanees - not half the team,(the better half at that) - and we could easily withstand losing one of them without falling apart. Though, with Alex Brown apparently off the books, it may well be that we have space on our self-imposed cap to bring in another body?
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Build Bridges NOT Walls
Post Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:03 am
Posted by Bulliac on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:03 am
Bulliac User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 41
Rep Position: 66th / 77,338

HamsterChops wrote:
Thankfully Cas have just signed another prop. Although admittedly he'll probably be suspended for most of the season.

Huddersfield may be the biggest 'worry', given the way they played last night and the fact we have two of theirs..
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Build Bridges NOT Walls
Post Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:24 pm
Posted by bullinenemyland on Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:24 pm
bullinenemyland User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 94th / 77,338

Quiz Score: 340

woolly07 wrote:
It is interesting that the idea of two SL groups of 10 seems to be getting accepted as a "done deal" (not by Frank) as if we are being told unofficially to get us ready.
Phil Caplan - who I really like listening to says it has been leaked that it will be 2 tens with one up and one down. Clubs also need to pass the criteria of reserve teams etc which is handy as AC is building ours up - what a coincidence! The rest of the clubs will get nothing and have to learn to survive which will be tough on them.
It was in the interview with the Keighley coach when he said it was vital they get into the top 20 which made me think at the time why would he give such a definitive statement like that out of the blue unless he was already aware of something.
This links nicely with the Doctors' statement that we will be back in SL within 3 years - although it looks like SL2.

This could do with it's own topic as its such a big topic of conversation which would have a massive impact on so many clubs. I just wanted to point a few things out.

If the top 20 thing does come about, I don't feel it would be necessarily the end of the remaining clubs. They would be in the same boat as every other true amateur club in the sense that they live off what they earn. The only difference with certain League 1 and NCL clubs is that one group heavily relies on central funding topped up with a bit of fundraising whilst the other group are heavily invested in finding ways to squeeze every opportunity to generate revenue.

The second thing is I don't believe AC was in the know as most believe. He may have been tipped off that changes were happening, but this is a new concept. At the first fans meeting AC said he believed SL would return to a franchise model and this was what he was aiming to build the club towards. A top 20 with one up/one down is not that and therefore another sign that we are not going to get any magic helping hand (just like after the rumours of league structures changing to accommodate us in the Championship this year).
Don't think i'm biased...
...i'm just very narrow minded!!!!!!!
Post Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:49 pm
Posted by roofaldo2 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:49 pm
roofaldo2 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 19
Rep Position: 88th / 77,338

Does anyone know if the game is still going ahead?
As the weather appears to be doing it's best to prevent it at the moment
To be the man.... I forget how the rest of that goes
PreviousNext