WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 2018 Bradford Bulls
Re: 2018 Bradford Bulls
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:18 am
Bullseye User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

It’s difficult to know for sure whether the lack of news coming out of the club about 2018 is down to uncertainty about what division we’re in or the fixtures we’ll have or whether it’s down to what we know is Chalmers reluctance to communicate at all. Could well be both. Doesn't matter - the effect is the same - disillusionment.

Personally my view chimes with that of FA. As things stand we’re in C1. Realistically we’re going to have a poorer squad than this year (certainly worse than Toronto this year) so we’re certainly not going to be romping to promotion. Think about it, most of our better players will get better offers or be returning to their parent clubs. We’re unlikely to have a coach in place that can attract players that can get us promotion. We may have an illustrious history but this doesn’t pay wages. We're part time - but unless we're willing to pay more than current PT clubs we're not going to attract any of their players. The best PT players are in the Championship. Will they want to drop to C1?

We’re going to be struggling with the Keighleys and Hunslets and Workingtons. A part time club, just like them on a similar budget and with similar standard players. That is not a recipe to get big crowds or sponsorship. It's a tipping point for me. My loyalty isn't unconditional. I may go to the odd game but that's it. As for the rest of my family they've long since found better things to do. We're not alone.

With that in mind there is zero chance of getting 2-3k season ticket holders as has been mooted. Even if Chalmers manages to bring in some new sponsors and cuts costs this is only going to plug the hole for a year or so. Costs can only be cut once and sponsors won’t be wanting to put money into a club that plays in front of a few hundred and can’t spell it’s media releases properly. We know how this ends.

This club won’t survive beyond the end of 2019 at the longest IMO. It may all end before that if the Tribunal next year forces another meltdown.

I refuse to put any effort into pie in the sky conspiracy theories. We are not too big to fail. Recent evidence shows that.

Can anyone provide any reason for optimism?
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:45 am
Duckman User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Bullseye wrote:

I fear the silence in response to that might be deafening. :(

I'm waiting for whatever the announcement will be from the RFL for league1 (there clearly is some clarification coming at some point) after the season end before I think too much about any of this yet.
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:58 am
thepimp007 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Duckman wrote:
I fear the silence in response to that might be deafening. :(

I'm waiting for whatever the announcement will be from the RFL for league1 (there clearly is some clarification coming at some point) after the season end before I think too much about any of this yet.

Better to be silent than reply with a big fat no
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:09 pm
Ewwenorfolk User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Bullseye wrote:
It’s difficult to know for sure whether the lack of news coming out of the club about 2018 is down to uncertainty about what division we’re in or the fixtures we’ll have or whether it’s down to what we know is Chalmers reluctance to communicate at all. Could well be both. Doesn't matter - the effect is the same - disillusionment.

Personally my view chimes with that of FA. As things stand we’re in C1. Realistically we’re going to have a poorer squad than this year (certainly worse than Toronto this year) so we’re certainly not going to be romping to promotion. Think about it, most of our better players will get better offers or be returning to their parent clubs. We’re unlikely to have a coach in place that can attract players that can get us promotion. We may have an illustrious history but this doesn’t pay wages. We're part time - but unless we're willing to pay more than current PT clubs we're not going to attract any of their players. The best PT players are in the Championship. Will they want to drop to C1?

We’re going to be struggling with the Keighleys and Hunslets and Workingtons. A part time club, just like them on a similar budget and with similar standard players. That is not a recipe to get big crowds or sponsorship. It's a tipping point for me. My loyalty isn't unconditional. I may go to the odd game but that's it. As for the rest of my family they've long since found better things to do. We're not alone.

With that in mind there is zero chance of getting 2-3k season ticket holders as has been mooted. Even if Chalmers manages to bring in some new sponsors and cuts costs this is only going to plug the hole for a year or so. Costs can only be cut once and sponsors won’t be wanting to put money into a club that plays in front of a few hundred and can’t spell it’s media releases properly. We know how this ends.

This club won’t survive beyond the end of 2019 at the longest IMO. It may all end before that if the Tribunal next year forces another meltdown.

I refuse to put any effort into pie in the sky conspiracy theories. We are not too big to fail. Recent evidence shows that.

No
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:08 pm
mat Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Bullseye wrote:

don't panic. Frank and Mick will be along soon to spread more bullsh#t about millionaire owners waiting in wings and us being parachuted straight into SL in a shiny new stadium. Even RER's stopped spreading his rumour know. Past caring at this stage. No dourbt i'll get reeled in again once something positive starts to come out of odsal but at moment silence is deafening.
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:17 pm
hindle xiii Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I'm having a completely rugby league free 2018. Bulls, SL, Cup, internationals, forums, scores. Stepping away from them all. I've just had enough.
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:30 pm
Fr13daY User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

hindle xiii wrote:
I'm having a completely rugby league free 2018. Bulls, SL, Cup, internationals, forums, scores. Stepping away from them all. I've just had enough.

Sadly, I don't think you will be the only one.

I'm awaiting the outcome of the impending court case, and see how/if/why it affects the Bulls before even thinking about going next season. I'm pretty burned out by all of these shenanigans.
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on.
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:48 pm
RickyF1 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Lets see what the special news is!!!!!!!!!
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:33 pm
Bull Mania User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Well it wasn't a let down. Ross Oakes and Liam Kirk signed until 2019. Brilliant brilliant news. Much needed lift.
Post Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:34 pm
RickyF1 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Bull Mania wrote:
Well it wasn't a let down. Ross Oakes and Liam Kirk signed until 2019. Brilliant brilliant news. Much needed lift.

Very good news.
PreviousNext