Dec 22 200122 years252nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 10:2820th Apr 24 07:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22
"It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21

A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.

Re: Kevin Locke : Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:18 pm  
Pumpetypump wrote:
Although 'Bradford's bouncing back' might be applicable to the Bulls, I tend to think 'Bradford's bumbling backwards' is more apt for the city as a whole.

You won't be saying that when Harrods & Harvey Nicks move into the hole in the city.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1332No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 04 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Jan 24 00:029th Feb 19 08:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Kevin Locke : Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:59 pm  
his is the situation that the franchising system avoided -- nigh on bankrupt clubs spending big to avoid a drop and blocking junior pathways. Locke will be definitely out to prove something and put himself in the shop window for better offers, so it will be interesting to see how he gets in in the remaining games.

Looking at the tables, I think the bottom 3 of SL are pretty much self evident...

- Wakefield, definite bottom
- Salford, will probably have to win all their last 5 games to avoid bottom 4 (which will be hard with games away to HKR and Leeds)
- Widnes would probably have to get at least 6 points from their last 4 games (Tigers (A), Dragons (H), Wigan (A) and Salford (H)) and favourable results elsewhere to stand any chance of getting in the top 8.

Then we come to the last place a tussle between Hull FC/KR but with FC having 2 games against Wakefield you might favour them until you see that HKR play Salford twice and FC at home. However, look closely:

- the Wolves are only 2 points above both Hull teams and and they only Wakefield below them (and all below them have a game in hand bar Widnes), with games against Saints and Wigan, although both are at home.
- the Dragons are sixth with 22 points so should be safe as they have a home game v the Giants and play both Widnes and Salford albeit away (I can't see them getting much out of their last game, away to Leeds)

So we end up with probably one of the Hulls, Widnes, Salford and Wakefield. Both Hull teams are actually quite strong so don't think that they'll collapse, leaving Salford and Wakefield. In the games that I've seen Salford in on TV they've been unlucky, including playing against Leigh with a very sub-optimum side. So its all on to take Wakefield's place.

From what I've seen Leigh are pretty strong and have proven that they can play with consistency at the intensity required to beat SL sides, and have strengthened their side over the last few weeks. Wakefield are strengthening as well. So it comes down to just how good are the Bulls? Its fair to say that everyone expected them to be where they are now, but they've hardly shown the consistency and intensity that are needed week in/out to take Wakefield's spot. So they need to really start building that consistency and some commanding 80 minute performances in their last few games.

There's a bit of a plus though - assuming Leigh and Bulls finish top of the championship, they get more home games than the bottom two from SL :)
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8995No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 03 200519 years181st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 21:4721st Apr 24 14:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Kevin Locke : Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:32 pm  
I've said it before, if Bradford and Leigh both fail to win promotion this year then I expect Wakefield will still be in a similar position of vulnerability in 2016. If Leigh or Bradford go up I think both clubs would be competitive in SL (if there any decent players left to sign) so the teams left in the Championship will face an even bigger challenge for promotion in 2016.

Such a crucial few months ahead for our club, I just have that lingering doubt about whether we have the halfback combination required to get us up. Lose Gaskell and we can probably forget promotion as the makeshift combination we're currently running with just won't be good enough in the middle 8's.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1011No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 06 201311 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Jun 22 15:2323rd Apr 22 12:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Kevin Locke : Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:41 pm  
Quite a bit might also depend on the couple of signings the Bulls were said to be about t make. Two forwards would leave me completely puzzled unless they are to replace the ones out on loan which would be daft.Smith and Locke are only there till the end of the season which is what will happen regularly from now on as desperation kicks in just before the middle 8s. Wouldn't it be lovely to see the Bulls bring in a NRL quality 7 for a short 12 week stint. It was stated in the T&A that the players out on rest of season loans releases cap space so why would they do that if they don't use it?
I can't believe Green, Ferres and Jimmy will risk the season failing because of one player (Gaskell) getting injured. They must have a back up plan just in case he isn't fit and Siejka doesn't find some form.
We can only pray and hope that a top play maker comes to Bradford for a 3 month loan.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3939No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 10 201014 years313th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 21:209th Apr 24 23:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Kevin Locke : Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:06 pm  
It always depends on injuries and if Bradford lose Gaskell and O Brian. Likewise Leigh losing Brierly and Beswick it will make things difficult. Their will be more injuries with 7 intensive games. So all goes down on squad depths etc.
RankPostsTeam
International Star261No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 27 201310 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Aug 19 19:2417th Aug 19 18:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Kevin Locke : Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:33 pm  
Nothus wrote:
Remember that they have recently released Lopini Paea, Dean Collis and Jarrod Sammut. That is a lot of cap space right there and - more importantly - a lot of wages that they no longer need to pay.
So far they've brought in Michael Sio and now Kevin Locke. My guess is their wage bill is still lower now than it was a couple of months ago, even with the new guys on board.

I get that thank you. As with Kevin Locke will he be able to "Get Fit" and make that much of a difference so close to the business end as is coined. I guess we will have to wait and see.

The fans have mentioned about our own ambitions, the team are playing consistently championship footy. I just can not understand the signing of Mendeika and Crossley although I am not disappointed about Crossley. When we have been passionately asking for quality half back cover. Also having the negotiations around contracts means distractions. I hope I am wrong and the team become what we are hoping in the last few to gear up. My personal view is there is only one space to go into SL. What happened with Sammut? we could have had him till the end of the season and said " Show us why we should offer you more "
RankPostsTeam
International Star7012No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 201113 years149th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 20:3726th Apr 24 11:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Kevin Locke : Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:40 pm  
miketaurus wrote:
I get that thank you. As with Kevin Locke will he be able to "Get Fit" and make that much of a difference so close to the business end as is coined. I guess we will have to wait and see.

The fans have mentioned about our own ambitions, the team are playing consistently championship footy. I just can not understand the signing of Mendeika and Crossley although I am not disappointed about Crossley. When we have been passionately asking for quality half back cover. Also having the negotiations around contracts means distractions. I hope I am wrong and the team become what we are hoping in the last few to gear up. My personal view is there is only one space to go into SL. What happened with Sammut? we could have had him till the end of the season and said " Show us why we should offer you more "

It's alright sayin we need a half (which I agree) but there just aren't many out there. Steve Ferres has done a great job in recruitment and im sure he's been scouring for a HB.

Sammut was never going to come to us this year (as much as I wanted him to sign) as Wakey wouldn't have released him from his contract to allow him to sign for us.

I think Mullaney would be a better HB option than signing someone at this late stage (unless it's a player like Gareth O'brien)
RankPostsTeam
International Star1934No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 09 201113 years276th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Nov 23 14:0123rd Mar 23 01:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Kevin Locke : Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:11 pm  
Professional sportsmen with agents holding well paid contracts do not simply shake hands and say goodbye. Anyone who seriously thinks Sammut has walked out on £15-1800 a week for £300 at Workington needs his bumps felt. Either he's been paid up or they're still paying, probably the latter on the stipulation he doesn't play for us. The agents of Collis and Paea will have negotiated notice periods or what on earth are they for?

Miketaurus is right. The half back situation has loomed large all season. Siejka was unknown and hadn't been fit for two years, although I still he (and the team) could get it together with a little bit of luck. Nevertheless, Lowes has gambled massively on a very small pool of playmakers for reasons I don't fully understand.
RankPostsTeam
International Star7012No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 201113 years149th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Kevin Locke : Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:28 pm  
M@islebugs wrote:
Professional sportsmen with agents holding well paid contracts do not simply shake hands and say goodbye. Anyone who seriously thinks Sammut has walked out on £15-1800 a week for £300 at Workington needs his bumps felt. Either he's been paid up or they're still paying, probably the latter on the stipulation he doesn't play for us. The agents of Collis and Paea will have negotiated notice periods or what on earth are they for?

Miketaurus is right. The half back situation has loomed large all season. Siejka was unknown and hadn't been fit for two years, although I still he (and the team) could get it together with a little bit of luck. Nevertheless, Lowes has gambled massively on a very small pool of playmakers for reasons I don't fully understand.

Considering Michael Carter has stated before he couldn't afford to sack James Webster or Richard Agar, I highly doubt he's paying Sammut in full or a massive pay off and then Collis and Paea notice periods, and then being able to afford Michael Sio, Stuart Howarth and Kevin Locke.

How do you know Jimmys gambled with the halves? again do you really think Steves Ferres hasn't been looking for HB? I think everyone would love another HB.
But let's not just buy another HB for sake of it. Chances are we'll end up with another Marc Herbert.
RankPostsTeam
International Star7012No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 201113 years149th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Kevin Locke : Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:36 pm  
One criticism I do have with Jimmy is why he didn't give Brook more of a go. Sounds like he is ripping teams apart for Keighley. Addy just isn't good enough to play at HB. What harm would it have done to see what Brook can do against Doncaster, working in the cup etc
PreviousNext