PLEASE LOGIN or REGISTER FOR FEWER ADS, MORE LIVE FEATURES & CLUB RELATED NEWS
GOOGLE REPORTS FOR THE PAST MONTH : Unique Users 115,772 Pageviews 5,467,188.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Don't shoot me down but..

Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:50 pm
josefw User avatar
Strong-running second rower

Should we have a look to union for a new prop? With the lack of available props in league.
Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:08 pm
roofaldo2 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Again, there's a question of availability.

There's also the question of ability. It can take a while for a player to adjust to the different speeds the game is played at.
Going down in a blaze of glory
Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:19 pm
domthebull User avatar

I think there is also a question of Union players having different roles and skill sets i.e. a union prop is more about the scrums and do not have as much stamina as their league counterparts. Maybe a lock or union second row would work but little guarentee they would be able to successfully adapt.

I would not rule out a union player converting and being a success but it is more likely to be a Centre, wing, second row/flanker.
other issues are that there is more money where they are.
Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:24 pm
Bulliac User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

domthebull wrote:
I think there is also a question of Union players having different roles and skill sets i.e. a union prop is more about the scrums and do not have as much stamina as their league counterparts. Maybe a lock or union second row would work but little guarentee they would be able to successfully adapt.

I would not rule out a union player converting and being a success but it is more likely to be a Centre, wing, second row/flanker.

Is the right answer..
Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:14 pm
Bullseye User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Union props that made it in RL? Can't think of any that really shone.

As has been said the role of a prop is hugely different between the two sports. A back row union player might be more suitable, but it still be a big ask for anyone.
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.

"If we win by 50 points, I will eat my hat. I fact I will eat the hats of everyone there, And their scarves and gloves. And underpants." - Debaser
Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:39 pm
broadybull87 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Trying to find a unión player who would make the switch would be difficult in any position, but its not a bad idea, same could be said if we had the space for nfl players who cant get a team.

Could we not look at the European rl teams or is that out of the question?
Veni, Vidi, Spurius brutus detruncavi
I came, I saw, I tore the thick b4st4rds limb from limb

Bradford Bulls - the polished turds of SL since 2012
Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:45 pm
af User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Bullseye wrote:

Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:11 pm
Stul Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

domthebull wrote:

But a bigger back rower might be an option (apart from the fact that they probably wouldn't be able to run and pass at the same time) - Scott Quinell for example (I know Wigan tried to start him as a second row, but he was such a big lump they soon moved him forward).
Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:23 am
ifallwerelikemumby Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

I think the man pictured above, Frank Whitcombe, is one of the few to make the transition very succesfully. He came to RL when they had contested scrums and unlimited tackles which made it a war of attrition. Of recent times Maurice Coulman at Salford made it and Northern signed a Stuart Gallacher who weren`t half bad, but the modern RU props game is completely alien to the SL game IMHO.
Beer is the root of all my problems, ironically it solves them too Homer

Simpson that is
Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:40 am
Adeybull User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Bullseye wrote:

Big Jim Mills might want to discuss that with you...?
Next