WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Coventry (H)
Re: Coventry (H)
Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:50 pm
Posted by bullinenemyland on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:50 pm
bullinenemyland User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 6
Rep Position: 29th / 77,037

Quiz Score: 340

Marvin Goolash wrote:
I agree with Bull Mania . I think once the grounds firm up we will see the best of Chisholm. A few players were slipping and sliding all over the place yesterday.

Yep, hard to disagree. Got to remember we have only seen Chisholm mid-season on good firm pitches (both spells he joined us midway through season). Add to the fact he's had a very serious knee injury and I think we won't see the best of him until probably July/August at the very earliest.

I know we have a superior team on paper, even with the new part time/full time hybrid but it looks like its proving hard to get up for these kind of games. There is a marked difference in home "performances" and away games where the support is much more compact and vocal. I have to admit I've found it hard (and quite frankly depressing) to get up for home games in a pretty much empty stadium, compared to the away ones... and i'm sure it must be the same for the players.
Don't think i'm biased...
...i'm just very narrow minded!!!!!!!
Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:57 pm
Posted by Ferocious Aardvark on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:57 pm
Ferocious Aardvark User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 21
Rep Position: 14th / 77,037

Quiz Score: 268

Think some are being a bit hard on Chisholm. He is slowly making his way back from a horrendous injury and reconstruction, and I had thought it might take half a season for him to be back where he was, if he can, after that sort of injury, which in his position is a big potential if. On firmer ground, he is looking reasonably good to me, and as his backing up for the length of the filed "wonder try" showed he hasn't lost his pace.

He did look quiet on Sunday, seemed to just pass the ball on and not go for his trademark linebreaks, but maybe conditions underfoot put him off.

It is all very well saying a better team woulda coulda, but we weren't playing a better team, we did put 50 on them, and so calling for 80 is a bit churlish, we didn't need to be the Harlem Globetrotters. I would have liked a more enjoyable performance but won't complain too much at being plainly a vastly superior team, despite not firing on all cylinders. We wouldn't have played as flat against better opposition, and I think seasoned watchers realise that.
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total
Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:14 pm
Posted by Molsk111 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:14 pm
Molsk111 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Not going to argue with you aardvark but if you take the goals missed and the 3 possible tries that wasn’t given then you have by my calcs 78 points
Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:25 pm
Posted by Scarey71 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:25 pm
Scarey71 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,037

Quiz Score: 0

I think had it not been for the 'right some wrongs' rumblings from some quarters it would have been a perfectly solid performance and I'd not have felt so 'meh'. Wasn't so much a back lash as a recalcitrant grumble :)

And I'm with the Touchie, that ball bounced about 6 inches in the field of play.....
Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:17 am
Posted by Bets'y Bulls on Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:17 am
Bets'y Bulls Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

When you see the state of the field particularly the coral stand end and how it looked you can see that doesn't suit Chisholm game, quick stepping, chipping over, running game etc, not on that pitch
Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:33 pm
Posted by Ferocious Aardvark on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:33 pm
Ferocious Aardvark User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 21
Rep Position: 14th / 77,037

Quiz Score: 268

Scarey71 wrote:

And I'm with the Touchie, that ball bounced about 6 inches in the field of play.....

Yes, that one is on my list of most ludicrous reffing decisions ever.

The touchie has one job, to run his line. You could see that he was certain that was a try - he stood his ground for ages - yet the ref, from an impossible position, decided the touchie was wrong and the ball had gone out. I simply don't see how he could do that, surely to goodness the touchie must be his first port of call, and if he says it was good, then he MUSt accept his evidence? When the touchie confirmed it had not gone out, on what basis could any ref reasonably overrule?
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total
Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:48 pm
Posted by Bulliac on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:48 pm
Bulliac User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Reputation Points: 10
Rep Position: 25th / 77,037

Quiz Score: 0

Ferocious Aardvark wrote:
Yes, that one is on my list of most ludicrous reffing decisions ever.

The touchie has one job, to run his line. You could see that he was certain that was a try - he stood his ground for ages - yet the ref, from an impossible position, decided the touchie was wrong and the ball had gone out. I simply don't see how he could do that, surely to goodness the touchie must be his first port of call, and if he says it was good, then he MUSt accept his evidence? When the touchie confirmed it had not gone out, on what basis could any ref reasonably overrule?

The only logical reason I can come up with is that the ref and touchie had a right flaming ding-dong in the changing room and the ref just did it to show who is boss. The ref's decision is final, as we all know, but why he'd overrule a man who was in a far better position to judge, leaves me struggling to find an answer.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Build Bridges NOT Walls
Previous