Post Tue May 23, 2017 10:25 am
Posted by Rogues Gallery on Tue May 23, 2017 10:25 am
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 13th / 76,390

Quiz Score: 76

Why should Barba not be banned for two years, ala Gareth Hock, and the young Saints academy player IF he comes to play in the same competition?
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Re: Ben Barba
Post Tue May 23, 2017 10:56 am
Posted by wakey_saint on Tue May 23, 2017 10:56 am
wakey_saint User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Rogues Gallery wrote:
Why should Barba not be banned for two years, ala Gareth Hock, and the young Saints academy player IF he comes to play in the same competition?

Because it wasnt the UK Anti Doping committee that he tested positive with, and the NRL dealt with the offence within their punishment guidelines.

If he was to test positive for cocaine over here (assuming he does sign for Saints/another SL club) his ban would be for the 2 years.

That said (and I am in no way advocating the use of drugs) I do feel the punishments of 2 years for a recreational drug that doesnt enhance performance is a touch harsh for a players' first offence. Especially in the case of Barba who took the drug outside of the season. 3 months suspension I think is about right...however if he was to do it again a longer ban (for stupidity as much as anything else) should be given. It just seems a tad harsh imo that somebody who takes cocaine recreationally is given the same length ban as plaers caught using steroids/growth to gain an advantage in their performance.

I also think the NRL are more leniant as there is a wider problem with rec drugs use down under than we maybe have in SL - in addition to Barba, players like Bromwich, Proctor, Kenny-Dowell to name a few have all been involved in drugs scandals lately to name a few, with players such as Andrew Johns owning up to frequently using rec drugs throughout his career. That said, when Mullen at Newcastle tested positive for steroid use, they banned him for 4 years and effectively ended his career so shows they have a tougher stance on performance enhancing.

As for Barba, it will be interesting but given that Super League has happily registered similarly banned NRL players to play in the past (Greg Bird, Todd Carney etc), and also allowed players involved in the Gold Coast drug scandal a few years ago (Dave Taylor, Beau Falloon, Steve Michaels) to play without problem it would seem harsh to make him serve his 12 match ban.
Friday 28th March, 2014, a day that will live in infamy...

Saddened! wrote:
Whatever happens they have all been magnificent. Even Wello.

Saddened! wrote:
Lance Hohaia can have my babies after that show

#theworldturnedupsidedown
Post Tue May 23, 2017 11:26 am
Posted by Rogues Gallery on Tue May 23, 2017 11:26 am
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Quiz Score: 76

Hock wouldn't have been allowed to go and play in Aus until the end of his ban, surely the same rule should apply to Barba.
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Post Tue May 23, 2017 11:52 am
Posted by wakey_saint on Tue May 23, 2017 11:52 am
wakey_saint User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

I can't say I understand the differences between the two examples completely, however I would make the assumption that Hock tested positive by UK anti doping agency and that is why his ban was world wide and banned for 2 years (in line with world anti doping agency regulations). This ban would apply to all professional sport worldwide, and therefore Hock couldn't have played NRL or rugby union when banned.

Ben Barba tested positive on a test issued by the NRL and/or Cronulla Sharks, and as a result was dealt with in house in line with NRL regulations. Similarly, if Barba had been sent off in his final game for Toulon and serving an 8 match ban by the RFU (or French equivalent), it would be their designated punishment and not carried over to the RFL.

If it had been a positive test with ASADA (Aussie anti doping Agency) then his ban would be across professional sports worldwide (using a player like Sandor Earl as an example who is serving a 4 year ASADA ban and therefore cannot come to play in SL/rugby union anywhere). The fact that he hasnt failed an ASADA test means they have been unable to ban him, hence why his 12 match NRL ban counts yet he was clear to play union for Toulon.

Barba doesn't feature on the list of athletes currently serving sanctions with ASADA and consequently hasn't failed a test recognised by an official organisation and therefore the ban imposed was by the NRL only.

https://www.asada.gov.au/sanctions
Friday 28th March, 2014, a day that will live in infamy...

Saddened! wrote:
Whatever happens they have all been magnificent. Even Wello.

Saddened! wrote:
Lance Hohaia can have my babies after that show

#theworldturnedupsidedown
Post Tue May 23, 2017 6:40 pm
Posted by St pete on Tue May 23, 2017 6:40 pm
St pete User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

the flying biscuit wrote:
nope your probably right..... its a sad state of affairs....
a few weeks ago on our forum we were mulling over potential signings and I had mentioned Shaun Kenny Dowell as a realistic signing due to being a kiwi and a non state of origin player.....

next day Cocaine Bust........ unbelievable

And he's a kiwi lol. Since the influx of kiwis in the NRL over last 10 years, it looks like the aussies brought them down to their level.
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time -

"You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more"

Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior
Post Tue May 23, 2017 6:45 pm
Posted by St pete on Tue May 23, 2017 6:45 pm
St pete User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Rogues Gallery wrote:

It seems the aussies just do as they please. Look at the sharks scandal regarding performance enhancing drugs.

If they banned all the drug users in the NRL then the wouid be nobody left.
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time -

"You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more"

Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior
Post Wed May 24, 2017 12:32 pm
Posted by Fantastic Mr Catpiss on Wed May 24, 2017 12:32 pm
Fantastic Mr Catpiss 100% League Network
100% League Network

Well, one string of rumours has been tied up, ratchford has signed a 2 year extension with us.

"i have a phobia of Wolves"

"It was good to come over here, all the boys played really well, we completed our sets and it was a good night for us," josh Dugan said.

"To come over here and beat Warrington at Warrington is very pleasing. I think there was only about 15,000 but it felt like the Origin capacity of 50,000 so it was a great atmosphere and a great game."
Post Wed May 24, 2017 12:34 pm
Posted by Nothus on Wed May 24, 2017 12:34 pm
Nothus User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 2
Rep Position: 12th / 76,390

Quiz Score: 0

Didn't Travis Burns have to serve the rest of his ban when he came over to join Hull KR?
I can't remember the exact details but I'm pretty sure he had to sit some games out, albeit for a dangerous tackle rather than drug use.
Post Wed May 24, 2017 1:14 pm
Posted by rubber duckie on Wed May 24, 2017 1:14 pm
rubber duckie User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

I've come to the conclusion that all RL players are thick.
once a wire always a wire
Post Wed May 24, 2017 6:03 pm
Posted by newport dave on Wed May 24, 2017 6:03 pm
newport dave User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Lebron James wrote:
The lesser saints forum saying it's definitely done. Obviously for hits and likes as all struggling websites do. If you want to see him week in week out, get yourself to Catalans

Regards

King James

Really!!!!
Avatar - me at the Ghana V Uruguay 2010 FIFA World Cup Quarter Final at Soccer City - Still loyal to the 'S' wearing my Saints wooly hat.
PreviousNext