Jan 29 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Apr 19 22:5210th Feb 17 11:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Jon Wilkin : Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:05 pm  
St pete wrote:
Wilkin for me isn't a forward anymore. I posted it on the Salford thread. He's not really played there for two years and imo if he's not in the halves or ball playing 13 then he shouldn't play.

Personally, I don't think he's ever been a top forward in wet conditions. He's always been found wanting in size. In warmer weather on a dry pitch he does a lot better.

He's the captain, and like Wellens before him, we need him in the 17, however I agree, not in the second row. Should be in the halves taking more responsibility whether Walsh likes it or not.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach252
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 200816 years304th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Jan 23 04:5910th Sep 22 19:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Jon Wilkin : Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:53 pm  
Wilkin's 5m gain is an utter disgrace
He should be leading the side by example
RankPostsTeam
International Star1439No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 23 201410 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Apr 19 18:2022nd Feb 19 23:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Jon Wilkin : Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:43 pm  
I always thought your captain should have been Roby not Wilkin, who I believe gets paid a ton as your marque player (is that right?)
However last night made me change my mind, Walmsley is your best player by a MILE, without him you would have got nilled and probably conceded more, the guy has to start and imo be made captain and your marque player, if not hes welcome to be ours :wink:
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 07 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Nov 17 11:145th Oct 17 15:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time -

"You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more"

Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior

Re: Jon Wilkin : Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:07 pm  
leedsnsouths wrote:
I always thought your captain should have been Roby not Wilkin, who I believe gets paid a ton as your marque player (is that right?)
However last night made me change my mind, Walmsley is your best player by a MILE, without him you would have got nilled and probably conceded more, the guy has to start and imo be made captain and your marque player, if not hes welcome to be ours :wink:

You don't give your best players the captaincy, you give your best leader it
RankPostsTeam
International Star1439No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 23 201410 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Jon Wilkin : Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:26 pm  
St pete wrote:
You don't give your best players the captaincy, you give your best leader it

Well based on thurdays game youd want people following his example over Wilkins, he showed that hes got pride in his performance when others clearly dont, seems like good criteria for a captain to me
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 07 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Jon Wilkin : Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:39 pm  
leedsnsouths wrote:
Well based on thurdays game youd want people following his example over Wilkins, he showed that hes got pride in his performance when others clearly dont, seems like good criteria for a captain to me

So you think Alex Walmsley should be captain as he's our best player? Does he know the game? Is he a leader ? Has he experienced? Would you make a guy that's on and off the pitch most of the match?

I personally wouldn't pick Wilkin so don't for one minute think I'm backing him, he's been going down hill since 2006 so the is no bias here but who the hell else is the in the saints squad who's captain material?

Maybe Robes is but I know him very well and he's very quite person. He leads by example for sure but is he really captain material?

The squad lacks leaders. It lacks experience also.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1439No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 23 201410 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Jon Wilkin : Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:00 am  
St pete wrote:
So you think Alex Walmsley should be captain as he's our best player? Does he know the game? Is he a leader ? Has he experienced? Would you make a guy that's on and off the pitch most of the match?

I personally wouldn't pick Wilkin so don't for one minute think I'm backing him, he's been going down hill since 2006 so the is no bias here but who the hell else is the in the saints squad who's captain material?

Maybe Robes is but I know him very well and he's very quite person. He leads by example for sure but is he really captain material?

The squad lacks leaders. It lacks experience also.

Hmm well theres not many captains that have the influence and responsibilities that Sinfield or O'lochlin have, it requires a huge amount of trust between them and the coach
As you said, you dont have anyone like that anyway, so to me it would make sense to give it to a guy who is going out there and killing it nearly every game
Im probably a bit bias though as hes the only one of your players I actually like and would want in our team (if we had our injured players back) except Savellio who Im gutted we didnt manage to nick off you when we tried last year, I like a few others e.g. Makinson but I dont think he would get in our team
What would you do? just stick with Wilkin till he retires?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 07 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Jon Wilkin : Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:26 am  
leedsnsouths wrote:
Hmm well theres not many captains that have the influence and responsibilities that Sinfield or O'lochlin have, it requires a huge amount of trust between them and the coach
As you said, you dont have anyone like that anyway, so to me it would make sense to give it to a guy who is going out there and killing it nearly every game
Im probably a bit bias though as hes the only one of your players I actually like and would want in our team (if we had our injured players back) except Savellio who Im gutted we didnt manage to nick off you when we tried last year, I like a few others e.g. Makinson but I dont think he would get in our team
What would you do? just stick with Wilkin till he retires?

Was thinking about your comments regarding Wilkin and I'm convinced you know nothing about the game.

A captain does lead by example like you say, he has to get the team by the scruff of the neck when things ain't going well or Injuries etc. Just like jon Wilkin did for 2 and a half years when he was moved from backrow to scrum half! Yes, a backrow moved from backrow to 7! Do you understand how hard that is? He had to adapt to being a ball player. He had to organise a team around him. He had to learn a kicking game. All foreign to a backrow but he did it well. He carried this team for Over 2yrs by being a leader, by doing things that wasn't his job but putting the team first before him. A true leader and captain puts the team before himself and Jon did that.

I'm not a big Wilkin fan, I doubt I'd even pick him at times but imo he's earned his right to captain this team. Nobody else has. Nobody else has done whst he's done for the club in past 2yrs plus. Yes big Alex plays well, he's the best prop in super league by a mile but that isn't automatic captain material. The is much more to being a captain than just playing well. It's about what you do on and off the pitch and also the players have to respect the captain.

So basically, he's the only one imo in the whole squad thst has captain material in him.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1439No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 23 201410 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Jon Wilkin : Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:08 pm  
St pete wrote:
Was thinking about your comments regarding Wilkin and I'm convinced you know nothing about the game.

A captain does lead by example like you say, he has to get the team by the scruff of the neck when things ain't going well or Injuries etc. Just like jon Wilkin did for 2 and a half years when he was moved from backrow to scrum half! Yes, a backrow moved from backrow to 7! Do you understand how hard that is? He had to adapt to being a ball player. He had to organise a team around him. He had to learn a kicking game. All foreign to a backrow but he did it well. He carried this team for Over 2yrs by being a leader, by doing things that wasn't his job but putting the team first before him. A true leader and captain puts the team before himself and Jon did that.

I'm not a big Wilkin fan, I doubt I'd even pick him at times but imo he's earned his right to captain this team. Nobody else has. Nobody else has done whst he's done for the club in past 2yrs plus. Yes big Alex plays well, he's the best prop in super league by a mile but that isn't automatic captain material. The is much more to being a captain than just playing well. It's about what you do on and off the pitch and also the players have to respect the captain.

So basically, he's the only one imo in the whole squad thst has captain material in him.

Ive barely said anything about Wilkin? all I said was that I think your captain has to be someone who leads from the front and who would step up when you were under the cosh instead of disapearing
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16963No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 07 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Jon Wilkin : Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:29 pm  
leedsnsouths wrote:
Ive barely said anything about Wilkin? all I said was that I think your captain has to be someone who leads from the front and who would step up when you were under the cosh instead of disapearing

Like he's done the last two and half seasons but didn't in one game against Salford?
PreviousNext