WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Transfers, Quota and Super League Contracts.

Board index Super League St. Helens - the-entertainers.tv Transfers, Quota and Super League Contracts.

Re: Transfers, Quota and Super League Contracts.
Post Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:57 pm
The Yellow Giraffe User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

BackrowSaint wrote:
Doesn't appear to be much quality on that list. Retaining Walsh should be the main priority but seems unlikely that we'll be able to.

I think we'll get another year out of him after this one. If Walsh was to leave then Dureau would be a fine replacement.

I wouldn't mind seeing us make a move for Elliott Whitehead.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:11 am
Magic Superbeetle User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

The Yellow Giraffe wrote:
I think we'll get another year out of him after this one. If Walsh was to leave then Dureau would be a fine replacement.

I wouldn't mind seeing us make a move for Elliott Whitehead.

I'm not sure we stand much chance with Walsh, especially after reading what kc said on the matter, but I hope and pray! There's a few big hitters on the market in aus next year, so we might be able to get the signature early before the DCE/ Foran losers come looking for consolations.

I'd rather have Ferres than Whitehead imo, but I imagine well re-sign Wilkin over bringing in anyone else in the second row ...
:CROWN: I am the hash browns of rlfans :CROWN:
Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:12 am
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Magic Superbeetle wrote:
I'm not sure we stand much chance with Walsh, especially after reading what kc said on the matter, but I hope and pray! There's a few big hitters on the market in aus next year, so we might be able to get the signature early before the DCE/ Foran losers come looking for consolations.

I'd rather have Ferres than Whitehead imo, but I imagine well re-sign Wilkin over bringing in anyone else in the second row ...

Which comments from KC are you referring to? The last thing I read was KC saying he hopes Walsh and Burns will play together for a few years.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:16 am
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Which comments from KC are you referring to? The last thing I read was KC saying he hopes Walsh and Burns will play together for a few years.

You mean?

Luke has an option on a third year – it is in his favour, but if he is enjoying his rugby and things are going well I’d like to think we can have some influence in his future,” he said.

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/117 ... yond_2015/

Sounds like a hit and hope to me, unfortunately. Just doesn't fill me with confidence :(
Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:21 am
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Magic Superbeetle wrote:
You mean?

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/117 ... yond_2015/

Sounds like a hit and hope to me, unfortunately. Just doesn't fill me with confidence :(

I prefer:

“I’d like to think they could forge a partnership for a good few years.”

:-)
Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:41 am
SecondRowSaint User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Doesn't look much in the way of replacing Walsh IF he does leave. Like you said Dureau would be decent but if he manages to find his form of his first season for Cats as last year he was nowhere near that good IMO. Other than him at half back there's only Liam Finn who I feel was at his peak season just gone and wouldn't be good enough for where we need to be at. There's also Myler but he still needs to develop his all round game for me.

Looking at the NRL, not sure who we'd be able to punt for from these;

http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-lea ... ract-2015/

As for other positions, i'd definitely take one of Ferres or Whitehead to run at second row or even Grant Millington to play as loose/second row. Props wise I'd go with one of the French lads either Benjamin Garcia, Antoni Maria or maybe Craig Kopzcak. Doesn't look much in the way of backs who would be attainable, potentially Oldfield but we are fine on the wings for now.

But like Backrow Saint said, there's not much quality on that list.
Rugby is like a hard game of chess!
Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:55 am
St pete User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

kieran Foran would do ;-)

Some very good players on that lost coming available. Not the best halves but some good players all the same.
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time -

"You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more"

Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior
Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:48 pm
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

SecondRowSaint wrote:
Doesn't look much in the way of replacing Walsh IF he does leave. Like you said Dureau would be decent but if he manages to find his form of his first season for Cats as last year he was nowhere near that good IMO. Other than him at half back there's only Liam Finn who I feel was at his peak season just gone and wouldn't be good enough for where we need to be at. There's also Myler but he still needs to develop his all round game for me.

Looking at the NRL, not sure who we'd be able to punt for from these;

http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-lea ... ract-2015/

As for other positions, i'd definitely take one of Ferres or Whitehead to run at second row or even Grant Millington to play as loose/second row. Props wise I'd go with one of the French lads either Benjamin Garcia, Antoni Maria or maybe Craig Kopzcak. Doesn't look much in the way of backs who would be attainable, potentially Oldfield but we are fine on the wings for now.

But like Backrow Saint said, there's not much quality on that list.

Unless we let Jones or Dawson go, would we need to bring in any more backs though? After getting Walsh signed for any price necessary, recruitment definitely has to be forwards focussed.

Would we have to re-sign/ replace Hohaia? Could Charnock step up and fill that 14 role? How likely is Masoe to stay/ do people want him to etc if he does go, I wouldn't mind going for Tasi, who seemed to be one of the few good pickups Salford had last year. The second row seems to have the best recruitment options but would we need another with Greenwood, Thompson, Savelio all pushing through?

(YG: :lol: I'm sure we'd all prefer that logic but maybe I'm just a pessimist on the matter! :D )
Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:12 pm
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Magic Superbeetle wrote:
Unless we let Jones or Dawson go, would we need to bring in any more backs though? After getting Walsh signed for any price necessary, recruitment definitely has to be forwards focussed.

Would we have to re-sign/ replace Hohaia? Could Charnock step up and fill that 14 role? How likely is Masoe to stay/ do people want him to etc if he does go, I wouldn't mind going for Tasi, who seemed to be one of the few good pickups Salford had last year. The second row seems to have the best recruitment options but would we need another with Greenwood, Thompson, Savelio all pushing through?

(YG: :lol: I'm sure we'd all prefer that logic but maybe I'm just a pessimist on the matter! :D )

Haha I'm a glass half full man!

Hohaia is an interesting one. For his first 2 years most Saints fans wanted rid of him, and I'm sure some still do. But last year he actually had a decent year.

He has terrific utility value and I'm sure having him there will help give Roby a breather.

I wouldn't be dead against him signing a 1 or 2 year extension, providing it was on reduced terms as he simply doesn't warrant "marquee" status.

However if freeing up his wage meant keeping Walsh and signing Whitehead/Ferres then we should move him on. Charnock has played 1,6 and 9 so maybe he could replace that utility spot.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:03 pm
St pete User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Haha I'm a glass half full man!

Hohaia is an interesting one. For his first 2 years most Saints fans wanted rid of him, and I'm sure some still do. But last year he actually had a decent year.

He has terrific utility value and I'm sure having him there will help give Roby a breather.

I wouldn't be dead against him signing a 1 or 2 year extension, providing it was on reduced terms as he simply doesn't warrant "marquee" status.

However if freeing up his wage meant keeping Walsh and signing Whitehead/Ferres then we should move him on. Charnock has played 1,6 and 9 so maybe he could replace that utility spot.

I've always backed Lance as I think he was used wrong and we expected to much from him.

He was never going to be the ball playing halfback with a good kicking game that we craved. He wasn't really a halfback but at best cold slot in with a ball playing 7 but we didn't have that.

He's slowly learned the halfback role which has took time as expected but to ask him to play the longy role with no other halfback was utter madness. I said at the time it would set us back years unless we get a proper 7 in with him.

We have one of the best utility players in super league now in Lance. He's a World Cup winning international fullback. He's now adapted to being a half decent 6 if need be. He's a dangerous runner when playing at 9.

I would 100% offer him a 2yr deal as this type of player is a dying breed but I think he won't sign a new deal as I'd imagine the will be a fair few NRL clubs after him for his utility value.
Mugwump mocking mental illness for a second time -

"You are mentally ill and I can't indulge your madness any more"

Utter disgusting abusive remark from a keyboard warrior
PreviousNext