FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A)
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6765
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 02 200222 years47th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 17:3828th Mar 24 12:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A) : Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:58 pm  
Sort of agree with what you are saying Gotcha and I do think there's a good player in there.
But it's a long time including last season when I've seen him have a game that makes me think he's the answer to our FB problems.
We need to give him a couple more games and if he does get dropped he needs to fight his way back like Golding should do.
My worry is we go with Sutcliffe at FB.
Golding took some flak on here when things went wrong and you have to expect the same when others play below the standard we expect even though he is very young.
But your admiration for Walker and Newman at this stage makes it look like you have a crush on them which I know is more out of belief in their ability.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10530
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200518 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Jun 20 19:3514th Jun 20 19:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
King Monkey wrote:
Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good.

At least he'd lose his virginity.

Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A) : Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:45 pm  
Walker seems to have carried his form from the England tour into this season, but now isn't the time to drop him, especially when the other options available are inferior to him, and if every young player was dropped after a bad game, there'd be nobody playing the game past 21.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 09 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Oct 22 18:0330th Dec 20 01:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Don't worry about avoiding temptation.
As you grow older, it will avoid you!
- Winston Churchill

Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A) : Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 am  
Gotcha wrote:
No it was a stupid comment.

Fair enough criticise Walkers performance on Friday, because it wasn’t very good. But let’s not kid ourselves about Golding. His positioning is not good, he loses us momentum getting put back continuously, can’t pass. And there are some short memories here, because Golding has dropped more high balls in a couple of matches together, than Walker has made in all his games for Leeds.

If Walker produces more performances like Friday, then rightly so he will be replaced, and have to re earn the shirt, but until then people should stop the silly knee jerk.

And to talk about heart not Leeds, is really ridiculous. Who else is in that Leeds squad? Walker, Ward, then your looking st the fringe of JJB, Ablett, and youngsters.

Because people have different opinions to you does not make them stupid. You have your favourite players, as most fans do, but you are blind to the mistakes of yours and you never report positives in the players you seem to hate.

What is stupid is to say Golding cannot pass and his positioning is not good. I guess you formed your one eyed opinion of Golding after he dropped a few high balls against Huddersfield in difficult windy conditions a couple of years ago. This was at a time when he was in the team on merit above you previous hero Hardaker, who was making a fool of himself at the time. Golding is a talented player with all round rugby skills and is prepared and able to play in more than one key position and he has a great attitude. Walker would do well to follow his example.

I have consistently rated Walker who I think has great promise and I wish him well and believe he should get back on the horse in our next match. However I am not blind to his shortcomings which as other have stated include poor positional play. He is not physically robust enough yet for a SL fullback both in defence and attack and his own passing is not good enough yet. He will learn and he will develop physically , but he not the messiah (yet) and is in danger of believing the hype that surrounds him as he looks to try and beat the defence on almost every occasion when the best rugby decision would be to pass to a teammate in space.

Had Golding played as badly as Walker did the other night you would be the first to call for him to be replaced.
Gotcha 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 15 200221 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Oct 23 18:192nd Nov 20 15:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.

Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A) : Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:24 am  
Juan Cornetto wrote:
Because people have different opinions to you does not make them stupid. You have your favourite players, as most fans do, but you are blind to the mistakes of yours and you never report positives in the players you seem to hate.

What is stupid is to say Golding cannot pass and his positioning is not good. I guess you formed your one eyed opinion of Golding after he dropped a few high balls against Huddersfield in difficult windy conditions a couple of years ago. This was at a time when he was in the team on merit above you previous hero Hardaker, who was making a fool of himself at the time. Golding is a talented player with all round rugby skills and is prepared and able to play in more than one key position and he has a great attitude. Walker would do well to follow his example.

I have consistently rated Walker who I think has great promise and I wish him well and believe he should get back on the horse in our next match. However I am not blind to his shortcomings which as other have stated include poor positional play. He is not physically robust enough yet for a SL fullback both in defence and attack and his own passing is not good enough yet. He will learn and he will develop physically , but he not the messiah (yet) and is in danger of believing the hype that surrounds him as he looks to try and beat the defence on almost every occasion when the best rugby decision would be to pass to a teammate in space.

Had Golding played as badly as Walker did the other night you would be the first to call for him to be replaced.

I respect anyones opinions who actually see a match, rather than going off highlights on the club site or stats from super league, like you. You see that way you can come up with a true opinion, whether different or not.

You have not consistently rated Walker at all, please do not embarrass your self. You have continuously slated him, calling for Golding to be in at every opportunity, so you are far from been in a position to label others with favourites.

You go on to name an actual match where Golding dropped the ball many times, as I stated just two matches together is more than Walker has done in his entire games for the club, and then you go on to defend Golding for it whilst critisize Walker. So I repeat a stupid comment in this instance.

Golding has been caught out positionally many times over, and he is weak in the contact, that is shown up from watching matches, and stats for your information. He can't pass the same way Walker does, and does not fit into the linking style the new coach wants. Hence the reason Walker was given the role.

For your information, I don't actually believe Walker is the long term answer, and I agree with comments of over hype. But that does not change the knee jerk stupidity some are coming out with after Friday. And Interesting you mention Hardaker, whom of course is generally regarded by most as the best British fullback, and in Super League. I don't think Walker will reach his level, so such a shame Hardaker ruined his career. But of course you never rated him either, which tells me all I need to know about your opinion.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain370
JoinedServiceReputation
May 21 20186 years284th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Aug 23 10:2511th Aug 23 17:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A) : Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:25 pm  
Whatever the result on Friday was, Overall it was a much better display from the previous week. Having read this morning that the Rhinos are open for offers for Cuthbertson, Mullally and Parcel it now seems that that the club has made up their mind who they want and who they are prepared to sell or give away. If we can raise a few £'s then maybe we can go out and tempt a decent enough prop forward to join us. Regarding Friday and the display, it was a better performance, generally most of the team played well and its a shame that the Referee had a poor game. He picked up on everything that Leeds did, but seemed to turn a blind eye to some of the decisions for the Wigan team, but if that's what you get playing at home then we will be fine going forward. If we are honest certain players had a poor game, unfortunately when saying on here Walker had a poor game, then the abuse starts and for some reason players like Ash Golding when he wasn't playing gets slated, guys be honest. Singleton had one game against Warrington and he finds himself playing for Featherstone. for whatever reason he was sent there, Furner believed it was in his best interest. Maybe we should send some more players there if simply to get their level of fitness and attitude right. Next game is Salford away, they are top of the league you cannot have players playing who are off form.
If we are all honest Walker is neither a Brent Web or a Zac Hardaker who is without doubt the best full back in the competition. Maybe the option to our full back position is to try and get a experienced full back who can tackle, catch a ball, has positional sense and know when to come into the line.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator9061
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 15 200618 years137th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 12:2526th Mar 24 08:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND.

IT AIN'T WHERE YOUR FROM, ITS WHERE YOUR AT.

SWMC Coach's very own timekeeping aficionado & expert stair inspector.

Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A) : Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:30 pm  
TBH, I have been very critical but even I can say honestly we looked a better side this week than the capitulation at Warrington last week.

We lacked composure and we lacked familiarity between players, both of which will hopefully flourish as the season goes on and we gel as team and that's what I think caught us out in the end (dodgy calls aside).
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain7No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 09 20195 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Jun 19 11:3211th Feb 19 16:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A) : Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:47 pm  
The Criticism of Walker is laughable. He was one of the best players in a poor team performance against Warrington. and in the first 40 against Wigan again I thought he was very good. in the second half, he came up with some errors and was below the standard you expect. But he kept wanting the ball and was trying harder than anyone else to get us going and to create something.

i have seen nothing to suggest he believes his own hype or that his heart isn't at Leeds. I just think he's a Young lad who plays with confidence.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner13151No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200221 years4th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Mar 24 19:1822nd Mar 24 16:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A) : Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:58 pm  
Clay Morrow wrote:
The Criticism of Walker is laughable. He was one of the best players in a poor team performance against Warrington. and in the first 40 against Wigan again I thought he was very good. in the second half, he came up with some errors and was below the standard you expect. But he kept wanting the ball and was trying harder than anyone else to get us going and to create something.

i have seen nothing to suggest he believes his own hype or that his heart isn't at Leeds. I just think he's a Young lad who plays with confidence.

This.

Are people forgetting he is 19? he will have bad games, make errors and bad reads, he is learning his trade. On the one hand people on here call for the youngsters to be played then when one is he gets bagged after a relatively poor performance.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1052No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 24 201212 years170th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 21:5126th Mar 24 15:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A) : Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:45 pm  
Interesting as a Fev fan to see a few comments along the lines of players being "sent" to Fev. I always had the impression that we were offered players on a weekly basis, and indeed that seems to be backed up by the fact that Fev fans were told at a forum last year that we had turned down Leeds players on occasions (in fact a couple of your lads ended up going out on loan to other clubs).

To be honest I think that's why the arrangement has worked out so well - both clubs always state that they have a very good understanding with each other, and Fev coaches have always been very complimentary about the commitment and attitude of Leeds players playing on DR. I can literally only think of 1, maybe 2 occasions when I've felt a Leeds DR player's heart wasn't truly in it. I don't think that would be the case if players were being "sent" to Fev as if it were some sort of punishment.

We get loads of grief on forums from other Championship fans about being Fev Rhinos etc but to be honest I think a lot of that is jealousy and frustration that their own DR relationships haven't worked out so well. Some Championship teams have been badly messed about by their DR partners but that really doesn't seem to be the case between Fev and Leeds.
ant1 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1135No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years299th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 14:0624th Mar 24 11:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A) : Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:53 pm  
Brodie123 wrote:
If we are all honest Walker is neither a Brent Web or a Zac Hardaker who is without doubt the best full back in the competition. Maybe the option to our full back position is to try and get a experienced full back who can tackle, catch a ball, has positional sense and know when to come into the line.

Is Gary Connolly is around?
PreviousNext