WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - OUT 2018 | Cory Aston - Castleford Tigers

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com OUT 2018 | Cory Aston - Castleford Tigers

Re: Out - Corey Aston
Post Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:51 pm
Posted by PrinterThe on Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:51 pm
PrinterThe Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 26
Rep Position: 10th / 76,864

Quiz Score: 0

RHINO-MARK wrote:
Another GF Hide n Seek Champ!

And signed from Bradford whilst they were still in SL so not plucked from the Championship.

Brian McDermott did pluck him from the lower leagues though and gave him his break at Quins. Cas fans should be thanking McDermott :)
Posted by tigertot on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:07 pm
tigertot User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 19
Rep Position: 16th / 76,864

Quiz Score: 308

Gale signed after Bulls had been relegated in 2014. I am grateful for McD stunting his potential to such an extent that we got him for nowt.
The best things in life are not things.
A member of the victorious liberal metropolitan elite.
Posted by PrinterThe on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:22 pm
Free-scoring winger

tigertot wrote:
Gale signed after Bulls had been relegated in 2014. I am grateful for McD stunting his potential to such an extent that we got him for nowt.

The 2014 season was still ongoing and Bradford a SL team when Gale signed, trying to make out you got him from the Championship is exaggerated BS :lol:
Posted by The Chin's Back on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:44 pm
The Chin's Back User avatar
Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Reputation Points: 3
Rep Position: 32nd / 76,864

I think that Luke Gale is a great SL player but i'm still waiting to see his first commanding display in a big game,he is sadly still way down the pecking order whilst compared to players like Danny McGuire,Rob Burrow & Sean Long etc who have been able to lift their game above the normal weekly SL rounds when needed.
Gale didn't really do much whilst playing for England in the WC despite being MOS,so atm Gale will only be remembered as a very talented SL player who unfortunately couldn't raise his game when he stepped up a level
Posted by TOMCAT on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:22 pm
TOMCAT User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 76,864

tigertot wrote:
I am grateful for McD stunting his potential to such an extent that we got him for nowt.

For mine, McD's best stunting of Cas Potential was 07/10/17, You got nowt from him that evening, not so grateful for that one I'd guess :thumb:
Posted by PrinterThe on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:03 pm
Free-scoring winger

TOMCAT wrote:
For mine, McD's best stunting of Cas Potential was 07/10/17, You got nowt from him that evening, not so grateful for that one I'd guess :thumb:

Let's not forget 23/08/14.

Major finals it's McDermott 2-0 Powell
Posted by BrisbaneRhino on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:50 pm
BrisbaneRhino User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 13
Rep Position: 22nd / 76,864

Watching him for England you can see Gale has some ability, but the difference between him and a top class halfback is the latter would at least try to impose themselves on a game and take the lead - in the final if not going well regardless of any coaching instructions.
Posted by rollin thunder on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:47 am
rollin thunder Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 27th / 76,864

PrinterThe wrote:
Let's not forget 23/08/14.

Major finals it's McDermott 2-0 Powell

people seem to think , and make out Powell is some sort of uber coach, but he has won nothing, he has done well at Cas no doubt but Cas are not the poor small town downtrodden club people make them out to be, Cas have always been able to draw top class players, there as big a club as severel others in super league and have always been a top 8-10 team minimum. bigger than Salford Hudderfield etr.
plus Powell had all the resources mcdermott had at Leeds and failed to win anything over 3 years. Powells a great coach but he is no better than Mcdermott and arguably not has good.
Posted by Sal Paradise on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:38 pm
Sal Paradise User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 28th / 76,864

rollin thunder wrote:
people seem to think , and make out Powell is some sort of uber coach, but he has won nothing, he has done well at Cas no doubt but Cas are not the poor small town downtrodden club people make them out to be, Cas have always been able to draw top class players, there as big a club as severel others in super league and have always been a top 8-10 team minimum. bigger than Salford Hudderfield etr.
plus Powell had all the resources mcdermott had at Leeds and failed to win anything over 3 years. Powells a great coach but he is no better than Mcdermott and arguably not has good.

McDermott had two things Powell didn't experience and a side with a winning mentality.

Does Powell have the same will to win - he certainly did as a player that will be the test. Next season will be a good test of Powell's skill set
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.
Posted by rollin thunder on Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:15 pm
rollin thunder Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 8
Rep Position: 27th / 76,864

Sal Paradise wrote:
McDermott had two things Powell didn't experience and a side with a winning mentality.

yes he did. but Mcdermotts ability to get the players to dig deep and find something else really stands him out, and not sure what experience at London did to help him, being side like London coach and being in charge of the biggest club in the league is very different and has considerably more pressure, something Powell and plenty of others could not handle.

Does Powell have the same will to win - he certainly did as a player that will be the test. Next season will be a good test of Powell's skill set

Yes i guess so, being good when your expected to be good is something else.
PreviousNext