FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - NEW DEAL | Ashton Golding signs until end of 2021
Neruda 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach630
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200915 years192nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 15:3722nd Apr 24 11:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

rollin thunder wrote:
Well he's obviously utter crap then and should be offloaded and thrown on the scrap heap at 20

as a Cas fan he's clearly an expert on intergrating academy graduates into first team football
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4473No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 18 200915 years270th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Oct 23 13:0218th Jun 23 19:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"I'm sorry, but I would hope that we would beat Cas with a 1 day turnaround."

An arrogant Wigan fan a few days before we stuffed them 18-4 at the JJB.

Neruda wrote:
as a Cas fan he's clearly an expert on intergrating academy graduates into first team football

Indeed. Took particular pleasure when Tom Holmes went the distance at the weekend.

Obviously wouldn't bin Golding off but a 5 year deal seems excessive for an okay full back.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1977
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 15 201013 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 13:1419th Oct 22 14:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

rollin thunder wrote:
were talking about Ashton Golding, don't know who this Goulding kid is. is he related to bobby

Apologies must have auto corrected
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 06 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Mar 19 23:333rd Mar 19 20:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Towns88 wrote:
The only recognised first choice / fit full back in the league who has yet to cross the whitewash , just 1 try assist too.

I rest my case. Cas (as with Hardaker) is his future for making him complete after the regressive McDermott touch.

Jack Walker is the Leeds ready improved replacement.(as long as McDermott is gone of course)
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2216No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 18 22:5421st Apr 18 22:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Whilst the attack that has come from our FB's both past and present is a valid criticism. On the other side of the game, Hardaker became the best defensive FB under McDermott and Golding is well exceeding expectations in his defence. Did anybody truly believe he'd have so many try savers in him, definitely come on leaps and bounds with that aspect.
Neruda 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach630
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200915 years192nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 15:3722nd Apr 24 11:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Towns88 wrote:
Indeed. Took particular pleasure when Tom Holmes went the distance at the weekend.

ah yes, the one who's a year older than Golding, has made all of 10 super league apps in his career, and couldnt hold down a starting position at Batley
maybe one day he could be okay at some position
Gotcha 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 15 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 21:312nd Nov 20 15:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.

PrinterThe wrote:
Whilst the attack that has come from our FB's both past and present is a valid criticism. On the other side of the game, Hardaker became the best defensive FB under McDermott and Golding is well exceeding expectations in his defence. Did anybody truly believe he'd have so many try savers in him, definitely come on leaps and bounds with that aspect.

I agree with this. I personally never thought his defenisve efforts would ever reach what he has shown so far, never mind so soon. I also like a good defensive fullback me over other things. My only issue with Goldings attack is that he makes rapid progress forward, then just runs sideways instead of going for the gap. This is something he does all the time instead of mixing it up. His support is there, whether his team mates see it or not.

I am not sure though what the big thing is on the length of contract, or in regards to Jack Walker. As far as I am aware Golding agreed this deal last year, not just now (yet another deal that Leeds hold quite until a later date), and Walker wasn't even on McDermotts radar at that stage. Not only that but Jack is predominently a half, not a full back. He is an excellent fullback, and prefers it, but the club see him as a half and that is where he plays.

Golding was handed the number 1 shirt on the back of agreeing this contract, and it's his to lose. See what happens longer term.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years296th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jun 23 20:4411th Jun 23 20:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.

A long term contract is trade off of certainty against money - GH pays less than he would and the player gets an agreed length of time which is longer than normal. This is normal GH tactic - he has done it with a number of players. If things pan out the player will get an augmented arrangement e.g. Watkins.

We want to encourage development through the academy this seems a good way of others seeing a pathway.

I notice Morgan Smith is not in the 17 to face Leeds and Daniel Smith didn't make the Giants line up at the weekend?
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain338
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 14 20168 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Oct 17 13:1221st Sep 17 08:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Gotcha wrote:
I agree with this. I personally never thought his defenisve efforts would ever reach what he has shown so far, never mind so soon. I also like a good defensive fullback me over other things. My only issue with Goldings attack is that he makes rapid progress forward, then just runs sideways instead of going for the gap. This is something he does all the time instead of mixing it up. His support is there, whether his team mates see it or not.

I am not sure though what the big thing is on the length of contract, or in regards to Jack Walker. As far as I am aware Golding agreed this deal last year, not just now (yet another deal that Leeds hold quite until a later date), and Walker wasn't even on McDermotts radar at that stage. Not only that but Jack is predominently a half, not a full back. He is an excellent fullback, and prefers it, but the club see him as a half and that is where he plays.

Golding was handed the number 1 shirt on the back of agreeing this contract, and it's his to lose. See what happens longer term.

The coaching team have done wonders on the defensive side of his game. When he made his debut he looked uncomfortable under the high ball and was rarely in the right spot to stop a break or hold someone over the line. Offensively we still seem to be setting up as though the ball is going to Hardaker and for all of Golding's skill he doesn't have the physicality to go through a player like Zak can. If we set up to attack a little deeper I'd imagine we would see his offensive game improve rapidly and our centres would relish the space Golding could provide with his footwork.

In regards to Walker I'm guessing that Leeds decided to mould him into a halfback as when he first joined he had Hardaker, Sutcliffe and Golding in front of him for the number 1 shirt and with his pure talent it's important to find a space for him.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain80No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 28 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Aug 17 21:002nd Aug 17 19:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

This is positive news that Golding has been awarded with a 5 year contract n thoroughly deserved. Watching a number of interviews with him, he is very grounded, humble , intelligent ..dedicated young player. He knows he is not the finished article, far from it is aware of errors that he makes...yet has the determination to correct them. I also watched him when he was in the U19s n was regularly on the score sheet..there was nothing wrong with his attack.
Last season he came in for a lot of flack, especially on Facebook..people said he was a liability under the high ball...had been useless all season...Was same person spouting complete myth...which then others followed suit on..

At end of season match against NZ he was one of the stand out players. At beginning of 2016 season, yes he dropped two high balls in different matches ...after that he did not drop a high ball again...or least not to my knowledge....another area where he was vulnerable was not only catching a high ball but avoiding been pushed/ dragged / pulled back for a goal line drop out....whilst occasionally he is still caught out..he has improved his technique to avoid it...but sometimes it almost impossible especially if you got 5 players ensuring you forced out. The other comment on Facebook that he was useless for most of season, was completely inaccurate...as he was injured for most of it not returning until last 8 games...but eventually when back did well in a poor season.

I agree with others , he has been working hard on his defence but I have noted particularly in last match where he was trying to make more metres to get back to attack mode....Got to remember though whilst Mac is the head coach his skills were always in defence....I know he still playing in seniors but when ever I look at our academy players , especially U16s...they are great to watch in attack, very creative...why because of the influence of Rob Burrow...saw it previously in Judah Mazive who was wasted at trinity ...more recently in Harvey Whitely.....so perhaps give Burrow more of a role now than just playing he has the ability then maybe we will see the attack side of Golding again...even if Burrow not used in this capacity..Im confident Golding will develop into one of the games best FBs .
Previous