PLEASE LOGIN or REGISTER FOR FEWER ADS, MORE LIVE FEATURES & CLUB RELATED NEWS
GOOGLE REPORTS FOR THE PAST MONTH : Unique Users 115,772 Pageviews 5,467,188.
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Random 'rules of the game' question

Board index Super League Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com Random 'rules of the game' question

Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:16 am
Lawrie L User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

If a player kicks a high ball and the ball gets lodged between the join of the crossbar and a post (highley unlikely I know)

How would the game restart?
Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:27 am
gulfcoast_highwayman User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Lawrie L wrote:
If a player kicks a high ball and the ball gets lodged between the join of the crossbar and a post (highley unlikely I know)

How would the game restart?

I reckon a scrum, with the defending team getting head and feed. Or a drop out.
SUPER POWER NINJA TURBO NEO ULTRA HYPER MEGA MULTI ALPHA META EXTRA UBER PREFIX COMBO!
Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:28 am
rhinoms User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Scrum as GCH says or a 20m tap restart.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:30 am
Clearwing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

The ball would still be in play. If no-one could dislodge it the players would just have to sit around until the half ended.
"If you let quality players like Ryan Bailey get on the front foot then you're in big trouble" (S. O'Loughlin)
Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:30 am
Him User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

I would imagine it would be a scrum to the attacking side on the 10m line. But that's only a guess since I doubt this is specified in the laws of the game!

As an aside I did knock a post down once from a conversion, I like to think it was the immense power of my kick that did it rather than the incredibly rusted posts that were about as old as my grandad.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:40 am
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

As I went down the headrow on a bus yesterday at about 9.55, I passed Loz who looked deep in thought. Now I know what was causing him to ponder.
SUPER POWER NINJA TURBO NEO ULTRA HYPER MEGA MULTI ALPHA META EXTRA UBER PREFIX COMBO!
Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:42 am
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

BigRob wrote:
I would imagine it would be a scrum to the attacking side on the 10m line. But that's only a guess since I doubt this is specified in the laws of the game!

I don't think it would go in the attacking teams favour because they have chosen to kick away posession.

And football has a nuetral re-start (the bounced ball). Does Rugby League?
Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:45 am
Lawrie L User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

gulfcoast_highwayman wrote:
As I went down the headrow on a bus yesterday at about 9.55, I passed Loz who looked deep in thought. Now I know what was causing him to ponder.

probably trying to work out which leg was to move next
Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:47 am
Him User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

gulfcoast_highwayman wrote:
I don't think it would go in the attacking teams favour because they have chosen to kick away posession.

And football has a nuetral re-start (the bounced ball). Does Rugby League?

Possibly, I was only thinking of like when the ball hits the ref it's supposed to be a scrum to the attacking side, but like I said I don't think we'll ever find a definitive answer since I doubt it's specified in the rules!

And not that I can think of, although I suppose scrums are supposed to be neutral (or at least nearly neutral) since the ball (officially) is supposed to go down the middle of the scrum.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:02 am
kirkstaller User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

BigRob wrote:
Possibly, I was only thinking of like when the ball hits the ref it's supposed to be a scrum to the attacking side, but like I said I don't think we'll ever find a definitive answer since I doubt it's specified in the rules!

Be careful when you say 'attacking' side.

According to the laws of the game, the attacking team is the team which has a territorial advantage, not the team in possession. If a scrum is to be formed on the halfway line the team which last touched the ball before it went out of play is the attacking team.

Also, don't forget that play can continue even if the ball hits the referee. Steve Ganson is notable for getting in the way quite often. It is only if play is affected that a scrum should be formed.
Next