WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - RD 11 | Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors

Board index Qualifiers Eights Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com RD 11 | Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors

Posted by leedsnsouths on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:34 pm
leedsnsouths Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 9
Rep Position: 26th / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:12 pm
Posts: 1422
PCollinson1990 wrote:
like a brass band and stealing a Leeds United song, that kind of embarassing. Headingley isn't even IN Leeds.


There is a pretty big crossover of Rhinos and United fans, so really just stealing from ourselves, and if Old Trafford is in Manchester then Headingly Stadium is in Leeds (it is a Leeds postcode and you can easily walk into the centre of town, in fact it is probably not much further from LS1 than Elland Road)

As for the brass band, I understand the criticism and it isn't needed in the big games imo, but can help keep some atmosphere in boring games against teams we don't care about
Posted by TOMCAT on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:19 pm
TOMCAT User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Reputation Points: 1
Rep Position: 34th / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2002 12:20 pm
Posts: 1917
Location: Happy Valley
Clearwing wrote:
Whereas Hull isn't even in the 21st century.


:CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP: :BOW: :lol: :lol:
Posted by lionarmour87 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:22 pm
lionarmour87 Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 6342
Location: philadelphia PA
PCollinson1990 wrote:
like a brass band and stealing a Leeds United song, that kind of embarassing. Headingley isn't even IN Leeds.

they bought the rights in the fire sale .Ive no probs with Wigan ,but I certainly have with Hull
Soon we will be dancing the Fandango




FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB'S DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESS THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT IS.
JAMIE PEACOCK
Posted by lionarmour87 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:29 pm
lionarmour87 Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 4
Rep Position: 31st / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 6342
Location: philadelphia PA
PCollinson1990 wrote:
like a brass band and stealing a Leeds United song, that kind of embarassing. Headingley isn't even IN Leeds.

So if Headingley in Leeds you don't get much less Leeds than LS6 and what about all the other suburbs that your kin will have been round tatting in hull caravans ?
Soon we will be dancing the Fandango




FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB'S DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESS THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT IS.
JAMIE PEACOCK
Posted by NickyKiss on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:41 pm
NickyKiss User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 24
Rep Position: 11th / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 22143
Location: WIGAN
leedsnsouths wrote:
Pretty much the point I was making, unfortunately some people can't distinguish between throwing things at players and singing about them.


You’re so wrong on the ‘throwing’ incidents it’s untrue. I probably had the best view in the ground. I was about 5 yards up from the front wall on the Western Terrace slap bang in the middle of the posts. A number of small sponge Rugby Balls has been given out to fans around the ground. At kick off the Leeds fans threw them at our players and in the second half our fans threw them at yours. It was all friendly banter with players smiling and the Stewards not batting an eyelid (but then again they didn’t bother with the streaker either).

If you want the absolute truth, far more of these balls were thrown at our players pre kick off then at yours in the second half but I think that’s because our own fans were also throwing them at our players. As I say purely just people having a laugh and no harm done.

I can’t comment on the post match abuse other then to say I heard Wane saying he’d had numerous threats from Leeds fans saying they’d fill him in post game. He seemed to quite enjoy it but if that’s sort of stuff is being thrown about and a couple of the younger lads responded then it’s not overly surprising. They should have the sense to rise above the morons but said morons shouldn’t get upset when they get a few verbals back.
Posted by Phuzzy on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:06 am
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Reputation Points: 7
Rep Position: 28th / 77,222

Quiz Score: 0

Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:25 am
Posts: 3189
Location: Just about to go do some work!
leedsnsouths wrote:
What I did definitely see is Wigan fans throwing things at Leeds players during a game, something that I have yet to see any Wigan fan admit is absolutely disgraceful. If there is no retrospective action either to the individuals or to the Wigan club, it sets a very dangerous precedent.

I did not see Leeds fans trowing things (feel free to prove me wrong), they were calling Wigan players divers and cheats at the end, but nothing worth writing home about, if any Leeds fans did throw things at players they should be banned for life from Headingly.

Fans shout things at opposition players all the time, its part of what makes the great tribal atmosphere you can get in RL games and I have no problem at all with Wigan fans shouting things at Leeds players, it is expected.

What is not expected is for players so shout things back or scream in fans faces. SO'L and Leuluai showed their sportsmanship and class by how they acted when being escorted to the dressing room, a few of your other players should try following their example.

EDIT: before you say it I know that plenty of Leeds players have intentionally wound up opposition fans in the past (essentially what Tomkins and Bateman were doing), this imo is unsportsmanlike but okay, what I saw from a couple of Wigan players was a lot more aggressive and in close proximity, it just stood out to me as classless and unprofessional behaviour

Ah! Doing the old Arsene Wenger: "I didn't see that so I can't comment!" Yet you want Wigan fans to apologize for something that perhaps they didn't see? You're a real walking contradiction, aren't you? I'll ask again, given that it's been reported from many quarters, including the Wigan coach, that there was abuse (that wasn't just verbal by all accounts) by the Leeds fans and abuse from at least one Leeds player towards the Wigan fans, are you prepared to label Leeds as scum?

By the way, why is it that the Wigan players needed escorting from the field? Surely they couldn't have been in any danger? You're all such paragons of virtue, aren't you?

For what it's worth I will definitely condemn any throwing of objects by Wigan fans... even if they were the foam balls. Not because it's dangerous but because it's childish. A little like your original post, in fact.
Posted by Ex-Swarcliffe Rhino on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:33 am
Ex-Swarcliffe Rhino User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:23 pm
Posts: 8184
Location: NOT in "Crying Corner" on the SWMC Coach
Your escorted off because they block a route out of the ground for players and staff. Quicker you get off the pitch the quicker they can open it up.
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND.


IT AIN'T WHERE YOUR FROM, ITS WHERE YOUR AT.

SWMC Coach's very own timekeeping aficionado & expert stair inspector.
Posted by Jimbo_Returns on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:39 am
Jimbo_Returns User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 207
Rogues Gallery wrote:
btw It was the Leeds club who provided those small plastic rugby balls.


Are you sure it was the Leeds Club? I say this because last year my wife's company hosted a half time event and they requested giving out sponge rugby balls. They were told no due to the risk of them been thrown on the pitch. Very surprising if it is the case the club allowed it and did it themselves.
Posted by Riderofthepalehorse on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:21 am
Riderofthepalehorse Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:43 am
Posts: 246
Location: Kingston upon Hull
Clearing,

With respect sir, Kingston upon Hull are the 2018 City of Culture, pretty much shows our standing in the new Millenia.
Re: RD 11 | Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors
Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:02 am
Posted by proper-shaped-balls on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:02 am
proper-shaped-balls User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:05 am
Posts: 1178
Location: Standish - Wigan
leedsnsouths wrote:
There is a pretty big crossover of Rhinos and United fans, so really just stealing from ourselves, and if Old Trafford is in Manchester then Headingly Stadium is in Leeds (it is a Leeds postcode and you can easily walk into the centre of town, in fact it is probably not much further from LS1 than Elland Road)

As for the brass band, I understand the criticism and it isn't needed in the big games imo, but can help keep some atmosphere in boring games against teams we don't care about



I can assure you that Old Trafford is not in Manchester, at the same time saying Headingly is not in Leeds is like saying Anfield is not in Liverpool.


As for the little rugby balls if Leeds didn't organise handing them out then who did?
Keep goin wit yed down
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AJC, D4mo78, Dadsylad, Gotcha, Him, Jimbo_Returns, Jrrhino, rhinos_bish, rollin thunder, Sal Paradise, Swoggy Loiner, tad rhino, TOMCAT and 178 guests

Quick Reply

Subject: Message:
   

Return to Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDYOUR TEAM
4,798,2121,33177,2224,559SET
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
Fri 28th Sep 19:45
 SL8s
LEEDS RHINOS
v
TORONTO
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)






17