WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Dragon Bird Out for the Rest of the Season

Board index Super 8s - Qualifiers Halifax - FaxFans.co.uk Dragon Bird Out for the Rest of the Season

Re: Dragon Bird Out for the Rest of the Season
Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:06 am
burybabe Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Disciplinary process not worth the paper it's written on.
Typical RFL total joke. Different rules for SL Clubs especially when they are in danger of relegation.
Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:30 am
atomic User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Hmm.. Let me have a think about that one.
Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:04 am
Alan Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

burybabe wrote:
Disciplinary process not worth the paper it's written on.
Typical RFL total joke. Different rules for SL Clubs especially when they are in danger of relegation.

There also appear to be different rules applying to different SL clubs.

Jamie Acton got NINE matches for lifting up an apparently concussed Greg Bird (yes, the same one!) in Perpignan. I say 'apparently' concussed, because it turned out that he wasn't. Coincidentally, Leigh scrum half Ben Reynolds was injured (broken nose) in that seemingly reckless, high, late challenge by Bird, which had 'apparently' concussed Bird.

Acton deserved suspending, because Bird could have been injured, and his actions could have had serious consequences. But NINE matches, when the player wasn't injured? Acton/Leigh appealed, and the ban was increased to FOUR MONTHS (effectively ELEVEN matches - including a potential £1 Million game, that he would have been available for, on the nine match ban!) Ironically, Bird's suspension for a highly dangerous challenge, is REDUCED on appeal, so that he would be available for that £1 Million game.

By the way, I also have sympathy for your statement about Championship clubs receiving heavier suspensions. Obviously the RFL consider players from those clubs punch harder, tackle harder, trip more violently etc than SL players!! :wink: It's a strange one, because you could argue that the 'misdemeanours' of SL players are seen by a wider audience, (by SKY & BBC viewers and larger crowds) than those of Championship clubs. Therefore the actions of SL players are bringing the game into greater disrepute, than those of Championship players. Of course, you also could argue that the actions of the RFL bring the Sport into greater disrepute, than the actions of any of those players, at any level!! :wink:
Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 am
bentleyman Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

atomic wrote:
Hmm.. Let me have a think about that one.

Depends if you are one of the favored clubs of course :wink:
Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:32 am
burybabe Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

It also depends whether the SL Team is in our illustrious CEO' s remit of expanding the game to whichever country can come up with the cash. The M62 corridor and it's teams do not mean much now unless you are one of the favoured few. Agree Acton was harshly punished. But why should Bird's suspension be reduced for what was potentially a very dangerous throw. The bottom line is that the RFL is not fit for purpose.
Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:22 pm
mr t hall Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Acton wasn't harshly punished,you don't pull injured players off the ground it could have paralysed him for all he knew.
Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:11 pm
Alan Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

mr t hall wrote:
Acton wasn't harshly punished,you don't pull injured players off the ground it could have paralysed him for all he knew.

Acton was an idiot and I fully agree that his action was highly dangerous. Acton maintains that he knew that Bird wasn't badly injured, but of course he would say that!

My point is that nine matches may have been fair punishment, or not - but to increase it on appeal? Could Bird's awful tackle on Ben Heaton, not have left him paralysed? And do you feel that four matches, then reduced to three, was a reasonable punishment? How do you reckon Bird's "tackle" compared with Acton's stupidity? I'd have said that, if Acton's 'crime' was worth eleven matches, setting a benchmark for players with 'previous', then Bird's was worth more than three.

Without delving too far into paranoia, we also 'suffered' from the Tony Gigot farce this season. He quite rightly (IMO) was suspended for two years, for his astonishing reaction to a drug tester, only to have the ban, equally astonishingly, lifted during the week before we played Catalans. He went on to star in that game, almost as though he had been training with the team for weeks, rather than having been banned from all contact with them! :wink: Needless to say, the suspension was re-imposed, after we had played them! I wonder if his 're-appeal' will be heard before the MPG? :wink:
Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:20 pm
harry1 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

I can't disagree with the arguements and comparisons that are being made about the lack of consistency between how Acton and Bird have been treated.

I assume the RFL are happy that the current precedent on kneck-breaker tackles is only 3 matches - some coaches would be happy with employing that tactic if it secures their SL existence in the short term.
Waddy-Fax wrote:I bloody love this game, anyone else sat at their desk getting wound up and angry reading all this, the same way you feel after you've watched Rocky and wanna do push ups and sh/t?
Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:24 pm
mr t hall Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Hadn't realised Jessie Ventura was a Leyther !
Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:39 pm
Living The Dream Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Makes Manu's 10 game ban seem even more ridiculous. Can't remember who were we playing that day ? :wink:
PreviousNext