WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - New Signings
Re: New Signings
Post Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:33 pm
Posted by The Phantom Horseman on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:33 pm
The Phantom Horseman Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

mr t hall wrote:
No.Proper season long loan like Brandon Douglas last year,partly financed by Howard Posner,interestingly.

You might want to check out the Castleford website...
https://www.castlefordtigers.com/article.php?id=5723

" Tigers prop Will Maher has joined Halifax RLFC on a season long loan.

The 22-year old will spend the full season with Castleford’s dual registration partners with the Tigers holding a call back clause."

There was a similar clause last season when he was supposedly on a season-long loan at Batley, and there was a lot of moaning on the Batley forum on more than one occasion as a result.
Post Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:48 pm
Posted by mr t hall on Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:48 pm
mr t hall Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

That's interesting..Marshall was quoted as saying it was under the same arrangement as Brandon Douglas
loan last season and that had no callback clause.An early indication of the potential pitfalls of a DR agreement.This clause probably explains why the deal nearly fell through at the last minute and the courier pulled their report 24 hours.
Post Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:17 pm
Posted by Greg Florimos Boots on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:17 pm
Greg Florimos Boots User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

All loans will have a call back clause, they would be mad not to.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."― Albert Einstein

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." ― Gertrude Stein

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" ― Abraham Lincoln
Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:09 pm
Posted by griff1998 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:09 pm
griff1998 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Greg Florimos Boots wrote:
All loans will have a call back clause, they would be mad not to.

Mad or not, loan players must be there for 28 days.

Them's the rules.
Sheffield Eagles - Back to Back National Champions 2012 and 2013 !!
Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:11 pm
Posted by griff1998 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:11 pm
griff1998 User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

HXSparky wrote:
The main potential problem with not including the 8's in the season ticket is if we don't make the top 4. All pay, but the attendances will be awful if we're in the bottom 8's.

It's madness not to include the eights. You know you're going to get three or four games. Sell your season tickets when expectations are highest. In January.
Sheffield Eagles - Back to Back National Champions 2012 and 2013 !!
Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:33 pm
Posted by Fax4Life on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:33 pm
Fax4Life User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Like others I understand the new Boards stand on managing the club on the income they forecast and we all know we are well behind Leigh, Toronto, London and Toulouse who all have money men backing them plus Fev who own their own stadium and are better supported than us at the moment BUT just 1 signing who has come from an NL1 team plus a season long loan player who was out injured for a long time season before last is worrying especially when you look at who Fev have signed also we still need a half back, why is does RM not see this???
Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:14 am
Posted by the fax in asia on Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:14 am
the fax in asia User avatar
Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

I am going to try and see the glass half full, there could be a major signing on the way, but RM wants to wait until after the World Cup to make sure he is not injured. or maybe he believes Cas when they say the dual reg will free up quality players for him on a regular basis. Might also be Cas are looking for a new half back, but want to keep who they have and loan out to us to keep all players match fit,
At present lots of things are hypothetical, until such times as is prudent, the management are keeping a close hand as well they should. Fax have been gazumped before by word getting out.
My Humble Opinion Only - let the knockers begin.

Part quote from The Beggars Littany by John Taylor circa 16C

From Hell,Hull and Halifax may the Good Lord deliver us.
Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:33 am
Posted by Greg Florimos Boots on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:33 am
Greg Florimos Boots User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

griff1998 wrote:
Mad or not, loan players must be there for 28 days.

Them's the rules.

And after that it may be terminated on very little notice so not exactly season long if the parent club does not want it to be. Thats why I see us having more chance of getting Lo on DR than him going to Sheffield on Loan.

Fax4Life wrote:
Like others I understand the new Boards stand on managing the club on the income they forecast and we all know we are well behind Leigh, Toronto, London and Toulouse who all have money men backing them plus Fev who own their own stadium and are better supported than us at the moment BUT just 1 signing who has come from an NL1 team plus a season long loan player who was out injured for a long time season before last is worrying especially when you look at who Fev have signed also we still need a half back, why is does RM not see this???

He might see it but if theres no money in the pot then he can do little about it. I think we are going to have a couple of seasons just going with the flow and then see what the RFL comes up with in regards to the format and go from there. Either way I feel RM needs to be more ruthless with the players as IMO he puts too much faith in players in the hope he can improve them when it may be better business getting shut and bringing in replacements. On that note we have also freed up quite a bit of money over the last season with players leaving so you would hope that would be available especially with us making the top 4 but it seems it wont be.

I know I said last season we would still be around the 4 but this season with Leigh and Toronto topping the division and Toulouse, London, and Fev massively outspending us and apart from London improving their teams its going to take a minor miracle for us to make the 4 this time around.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."― Albert Einstein

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." ― Gertrude Stein

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" ― Abraham Lincoln
Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:47 pm
Posted by Dbvada on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:47 pm
Dbvada Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

I have been told that MM had produced a 2018 financial plan and budget that would have allowed RM room to increase spend.

Sadly the Board made a complete hash of the 2017 budget and if it was not for the generosity of Mr Steele a hole would have appeared that would have been very big, perhaps to big. But he has not filled all the shortage. If you look at Companies House it looks like has swapped his loans for shares in the club and is now, despite not being on the Board, the major shareholder. I have been told that Mr Croad has provided funds for the club in the past but is now requiring all past debt to be repaid in "kind" and cash - not a help when cash is short. Other people who loaned money to the club have agreed to wait for their money back.

Despite Mr Steele giving the club some of the money it needs there will still be a big shortfall, having a cash flow problem is not unusual for Fax but the numbers this time are very large as in 2017 as expenses far exceed income, the negative balance will be carried forward which will impact what is available in 2018. The cash issue may have caused MM to step down as a director, although remain as Manger. This means that our Board is now made up of people who have never run a rugby club before.

Based upon the dire financial position in 2018 the Club could not even afford Will Maher and it looks like that the only way we could sign him was with financial help from Howard Posner, who as we know like Mr Steele and others has given the club large sums in the past.

I would therefore think that whilst we may pick up the odd player on the cheap, unless we can get others to "sponsor" players with big donations our 2018 squad will be much as now plus DR.
Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:25 pm
Posted by mr t hall on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:25 pm
mr t hall Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Hope the current budget doesn't expect a top 4 finish,dodged a real bullet last season.
PreviousNext